Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I personally do not want a war to start, but in my opinion, for me, I feel the brakes on these Vulcan 900's are quite lacking. Just about any bike has better brakes. Has anyone found a good upgrade kit they would recommend?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I cant speak specifically to the 900's as my experience is on the VN800 and VN1500 but I have ridden quite a few different styles of bikes (Naked, Sport, Cruiser, etc) and do agree that the Vulcan brakes leave a lot to be desired. Most people think that because a cruiser is heavy it is acceptable for it to have weak brakes, not true. Anyways, your braking can be improved by doing the following one at a time (in order) until you are happy with the results:

1. Flush the old fluid and bleed the brakes until they are quite hard.
2. Change the pads to EBC HH pads, they have much better bite. (Also bleed them hard again)
3. Upgrade the lines to braided stainless. (Also bleed them hard again)
4. Upgrade to a performance braking package (New rotors and pads) (Also bleed them hard again)
5. Upgrade your master cylinder and calipers. (Also bleed them hard again)

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have not looked hard but are there any off the shelf (correct length and fittings) braided stainless brake lines for the Vulcan 900 other than Spiegler?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have not looked hard but are there any off the shelf (correct length and fittings) braided stainless brake lines for the Vulcan 900 other than Spiegler?
I just brought my old ones to a local shop that specializes in hoses and fittings. They made new stainless ones on the spot, with the correct fittings and rubber pieces. From there it was simply reinstalling the new ones. Cost me an absolutely bank breaking $100 to do both..... Yeah I almost had to take out a second mortgage they were that pricey, wow.

For the whole brake flush? I'd recommend investing in what's called a "power bleeder". It's so that one person can do all that by yourself, otherwise it may be a wise idea to have a friend over to help you with that, as someone needs to work each (front or back) pedal/lever while the other person works the air bleed screw. (Which takes an 8mm wrench btw).

The pads can be ordered at most online Etailers, or at your local bike shop (aftermarket pads will need to be special ordered).

As what was said earlier, sure you can upgrade the caliper and master cylinders, but thats an awful lot of work and will most likely involve customizing and fabricating brackets for the calipers. I'd strongly recommend against that unless you really know what you're doing.

Just the pads and steel braided brake lines should be enough. Try those out and let us know, from there if you're still not happy, we can go to the next step.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My used 900 came with SS brake lines. Rear brake performs better than front brake by far. Front brake was some spongie-ness to it. It could prolly stand to be bled for better performance.
Today I bled the front brake with a syringe while I was topping the master cylinder with fresh fluid but the lever still has some sponginess to it, maybe because it is an adjustable one?
I also have high pressure brake lines but bought it like this so don't know how stock felt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts