Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She bought an 08 glastron 4.3gl vovlo penta drive. So now I have to learn about boats. LOL. Current prop 14.2x23 with 3 blades. Thinking about going to a 14x21 with 4 blades. To get a better hole shot or to get on plane faster. How many more rpms should I turn at wot? What would I lose in top end? The 3 blade is the stock prop looking at the solas 8613-140-21. Any input would be great Thanks.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I was going to do the chain about every 375 miles. Figured the muffler belt should need changed then as well. I Might want change the hour meter to an odometer too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
When you go from a three blade to a 4 blade you lose two pitch. So if the 23P was turning 5600 a 4 blade 21 will turn about the same.

Find out what your max rpm for that motor is, i'm guessing in the 5400 range. I run have a Tr21X Triton Bass boat with a 250 on the back i'm running a 4 blade 24 pitch and i'm hitting 6200 rpms running 74 mph.

Rule of thumb if your staying with the same kinda prop (AKA Number of blades) every one pitch changes your rpms 300.
From a 23P to a 22P you would gain 300 rpms. From a 23 P to a 24 P you would lose 300 rpms. Thats how that works.

You can also drill exhaust holes in the side of your prop if you don't want to spend the money on another prop. I'd let a shop do that. lets it stall kinda. Mine is a rocket out the hole love it that way.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Littleriver that's a nice looking boat. I bet you can fish in yours!! Hers is an inboard/outboard. Not allowed to fish in it was told it is a pleasure/ski boat. I could fish on the shore. blah blah blah. LOL The owners manual says 4200-4600 rpms. So if I understand this correctly going to 4 blade 21 pitch from a 3 blade 23 pitch. It should turn the same rpms, top speed should be about the same, and I should come out the hole better.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Littleriver that's a nice looking boat. I bet you can fish in yours!! Hers is an inboard/outboard. Not allowed to fish in it was told it is a pleasure/ski boat. I could fish on the shore. blah blah blah. LOL The owners manual says 4200-4600 rpms. So if I understand this correctly going to 4 blade 21 pitch from a 3 blade 23 pitch. It should turn the same rpms, top speed should be about the same, and I should come out the hole better.
yes sir that is correct. I have a 28P 3 blade I don't even use bought it to see what the boat would do that 4 blade and the three blade turn within a hundred RPMs of each other. 4 blade pitch is lower but its like dropping a gear on a car, you feel it down low.
Bravo 1 is the only 4 blade prop I will run. There a rear lifter which makes the boat get up on plane faster.
I even tried a 5 blade, actually still have it but that bravo 1 kicks ass as to take off. I could snatch the rope out your hands if you were trying to ski it gets off that quick.
Have fun any enjoy. I have a 24 foot pontoon to we don't fish off of. LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts