Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I just picked up my '09 Custom, a few weeks ago; great bike, no troubles at all.
However, a friend of mine just bought himself an identical bike, and he brought it over tonight to compare notes.
He's having a lot of difficulty down-shifting into first, whether moving slowly or sitting still. I drove it myself, and I couldn't even get it below third, at any speed.
Before he takes it back to the dealer, I was just wondering whether anyone here had experienced a similar issue. I did some searching, but haven't spotted any mention of that same problem.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had a similar issue. If I wait to put it in first after I stop I have an issue, if I put it in first as I'm rolling to stop seems to go fine. The few times I've had issues though, if I roll forward or back a bit it seems to go into first. I'm not someone who would know why this is but it's happened enough that I've figured out how to avoid it.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Mine still does it after 11K miles. I think it has something to do with the positive neutral finder. I've gotten in the habit of making sure I'm in 1st well before I come to a stop. If things start to move before I come to a stop I can always upshift.

In the event I don't get it into 1st, I've found that if I hold down gently on the shifter and let the clutch out a little (not enough to move the bike) it will pop down to the next gear. Just repeat until you're in 1st. Kind of a hassle, but it works.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just received an e-mail from my buddy. He was able to run out to the bike shop late yesterday, and they fixed the problem in five minutes.

Evidently, there was a burr somepleace in the shifter mechanism, which was causing some binding.
Once I meet up with him again, I'll ask him to point the location out to me, if anyone here is interested.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I drove it myself, and I couldn't even get it below third, at any speed.
That sounds like a different problem than our normal "won't go into 1st at a stop" issue.

Info on just where the burr was would be a help to others, thanks Doug.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My '09 LT has been so trouble free it would make most of you sick. It has been the "one in a thousand" for me. The grease zerks under the rocker arm are even still intact.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts