Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've changed all the fluids in my bike except the antifreeze. Apparently the previous owner didn't take maintenance as serious as the dealer told me he did. Imagine that. Should I use Kawasaki antifreeze? Anyone use Evans waterless antifreeze? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
if you have a honda car dealership nearby that sells parts ask for honda type 2 50/50 premix coolant, it's blue and good, try it, comes in 1 gal. jug

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll look it up. Also read that engine ice drops temp down 10 to 20 degrees. I live in South Mississippi and the temperature gets above 100 during the summer.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
the best fluid to handle heat is 100% straight water, but 50/50 mix has additives to prevent rust and corrosion

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Just make sure whatever you buy is good for aluminum. The normal color for antifreeze good for aluminum components is Orange.
+1 on aluminum safe, but do not trust color! There is not standard for coolant colors and there are coolants that do not follow the general color scheme. The Kawi coolant is OAT type, so that is what is generally recommended (Dex-Cool is OAT, but not like general OAT formulations - don't use any Dex-Cool type coolants). If you do use anything other than OAT, do a flush first. In fact, you should probably do a flush anyway if the PO never changed the coolant.

I flush with Royal Purple Royal Flush, use O'Reilly Universal Coolant 50/50, and add Royal Purple Purple Ice additive. I confirmed with Royal Purple that Purple Ice is compatible with OAT coolants and the newest formulation is. Newer bottles say that it reduces temps by 22°. Older (not compatible - contains silicates) bottles say 25°.

·
Registered
457 Posts
+1 on aluminum safe, but do not trust color! There is not standard for coolant colors and there are coolants that do not follow the general color scheme. The Kawi coolant is OAT type, so that is what is generally recommended (Dex-Cool is OAT, but not like general OAT formulations - don't use any Dex-Cool type coolants). If you do use anything other than OAT, do a flush first. In fact, you should probably do a flush anyway if the PO never changed the coolant.

I flush with Royal Purple Royal Flush, use O'Reilly Universal Coolant 50/50, and add Royal Purple Purple Ice additive. I confirmed with Royal Purple that Purple Ice is compatible with OAT coolants and the newest formulation is. Newer bottles say that it reduces temps by 22°. Older (not compatible - contains silicates) bottles say 25°.
Some questions.

Why do you state not to use Dex-Cool when this product if formulated for vehicles utilizing aluminum components ?

"Dex-cool is a great product and the manufacturer recommended antifreeze for GM and other vehicles with aluminum radiators, heater cores and water pumps and aluminum engine components in contact the coolant. It has no silicates which tear up water pumps."

What ingredient exactly does Purple Ice have that allows it to drop the heat temperature by 22 degrees over and above any other products available out there ?

Are there any tests that have been performed and available for review that would substantiate this products ability to decrease the heat factor in an engine to this degree ?

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Some questions.

Why do you state not to use Dex-Cool when this product if formulated for vehicles utilizing aluminum components ?

"Dex-cool is a great product and the manufacturer recommended antifreeze for GM and other vehicles with aluminum radiators, heater cores and water pumps and aluminum engine components in contact the coolant. It has no silicates which tear up water pumps."

What ingredient exactly does Purple Ice have that allows it to drop the heat temperature by 22 degrees over and above any other products available out there ?

Are there any tests that have been performed and available for review that would substantiate this products ability to decrease the heat factor in an engine to this degree ?
Dex-Cool is not completely compatible with other OAT products due to the additives in it. It was created for and meets GM specifications. That is why they recommend it for GM vehicles. Non Dex-Cool OAT products meet a different set of specifications, though there is some overlap. Also, Dex-Cool has been known to damage seals and gaskets in non-GM vehicles.

Purple Ice (and additive), Engine Ice (complete 50/50 dilution of OAT compatible coolant with the additives already in it), etc. use proprietary ingredients, so there is no way of knowing what they each are using to increase the cooling capacity.

There have been no tests performed by anyone but the companies themselves that conclusively show that these products and/or additives do increase cooling.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
the best fluid to handle heat is 100% straight water, but 50/50 mix has additives to prevent rust and corrosion
This is what I agree with. Water PLUS Water Wetter or similar product. But you don't have corrosion protection and if the bike does get hot, unless you have Water Wetter (by Redline) or a similar product (Hilton's makes a good product too) in the water it will boil at a lower temperature than with antifreeze, which raises the boiling point of water because of the glycol content.

I would suggest you buy a gallon of DISTILLED water, get a measuring device and measure out two quarts of water and two quarts of antifreeze. This should be more than enough to fill your system. You can put any leftover in the overflow tank or the overflow tank of your car or truck. Distilled water will not leave mineral deposits in your engine.

Dex Cool is not something to use. It has caused completely destructive damage to car cooling systems, it is only good for specific applications, and I wouldn't even use it in the applications it is supposed to go in. Bad product! I have a Chevy truck with a modified 454 and an aluminum radiator, and the shop that does all the custom work on my engine said that using Dex Cool would be the death knell for my radiator.

There is a radiator shop that rebuilds and repairs motorcycle radiators. It is in I think Idaho. Called Mylers. Run by a mom and her son. Great place, I have had a radiator with major damage repaired there. I suggest you try a product they sell to flush your cooling system prior to putting in your new coolant. Myler's Miracle Radiator Flush. Make sure you leave head space of about a quart when you add it because it can fizz quite a bit upon initial entry.

https://mylers-radiators.myshopify.com/

·
Registered
457 Posts
"Dex Cool is not something to use. It has caused completely destructive damage to car cooling systems, it is only good for specific applications, and I wouldn't even use it in the applications it is supposed to go in. Bad product!"

Dex-cool had a problem with causing gasket deterioration which was corrected in 2007. There have been no reports of this product having further problems in 10 years. Searching the internet, I cannot find one article that states you should not mix Dex-Cool with any other OAT product, with the exception of another forum where a person makes a statement similar to yours. I have found several statements concerning problems caused by using water wetter and purple ice additives to the cooling system. What I state here can be checked out with a simple search of the internet. All of the additive manufacturers state their products will greatly improve engine temperatures, however not a single one provides legitimate valid tests for public review to prove their product will perform as stated.

So at this point I cannot find any reason for me not to continue using/or recommending antifreeze designed and manufactured specifically for engines utilizing aluminum components.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Wetting agents enhance your heat transfer between coolant and radiator. They work best with no other additives and they're engineered for racing, not street use. Hilton's has some test results but since I have used it only in road race motorcycles I can't say how they work for street use. You are not allowed to use antifreeze in race bikes. For obvious reasons.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
"Dex Cool is not something to use. It has caused completely destructive damage to car cooling systems, it is only good for specific applications, and I wouldn't even use it in the applications it is supposed to go in. Bad product!"

Dex-cool had a problem with causing gasket deterioration which was corrected in 2007. There have been no reports of this product having further problems in 10 years. Searching the internet, I cannot find one article that states you should not mix Dex-Cool with any other OAT product, with the exception of another forum where a person makes a statement similar to yours. I have found several statements concerning problems caused by using water wetter and purple ice additives to the cooling system. What I state here can be checked out with a simple search of the internet. All of the additive manufacturers state their products will greatly improve engine temperatures, however not a single one provides legitimate valid tests for public review to prove their product will perform as stated.

So at this point I cannot find any reason for me not to continue using/or recommending antifreeze designed and manufactured specifically for engines utilizing aluminum components.
Conventional antifreeze has silicate based anti-corrosion ingredients and are considered to be safe for aluminum. My dad had a radiator shop. I can't tell you how many radiators we repaired or scrapped due to silicate fallout plugging them up. Motorcycle cooling systems are even more susceptible to it because the radiator and other passages are smaller than in older cars. So blindly using any antifreeze that is "designed and manufactured specifically for engines utilizing aluminum components" is not a good idea.

Dex-Cool may have been reformulated, but I still would not use it in any vehicle that the mfg did not specifically recommend it. As I stated before, it is designed to meet different specifications than what has become "standard" for OAT coolants (ASTM D-3306 and 4985). Dex-Cool meets D-3306 and a slew of other requirements, but not ASTM D-4985. Maybe it is OK to use, but I would not trust it in my bike. Plus, you can still find complaints since 2007 (I found some from this year) about Dex-Cool damaging plastic coolant reservoirs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well I hate to say it but I flushed my cooling system with distilled water and plain old vinegar and I filled it with....you guessed it Dex-cool, that was a few months ago and Ive had no problems what so ever even in hot and nasty rush hour traffic and my overflow bottle is still good as new....knock on wood.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
You can always flush your system (with distilled H2O) at the end of the season and replace the coolant. It would be cheap insurance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After calling several dealers and cycle shops most of them told me prestone extended life 50/50 was as good as it gets. I'll see how it works for now. Pulling the tank several times just to change antifreeze is a pain but oh well it's done.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The fuel tank has to be pulled in order to get access the radiator cap.
Sorry. Was thinking 1500, I just have to remove the instrument cowling and I'm there. Keep forgetting the electronic instruments no longer have the access port. I agree with the Prestone 50/50. It's good stuff. The Yellow one is for aluminum components.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts