Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 900 Vulcan classic LT, how do you change the anti-freeze, any special kind?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I have an 800 so I can't address the change process but can recommend the Honda coolant. It comes premixed and ready to go. Have used it for years with no problems.

·
Registered
563 Posts
++ on the premixed Honda coolant - works great. Do NOT use automotive coolant - it contains silicates that can potentially damage your water pump.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I used the Honda Pre-mix and works great. Use the search tool on this forum, it's amazing what you can find..
I considered other products before changing the coolant, but end it up just with plain coolant. Did not wanted to risk using something wrong for the bike.
There is a drain plug under the engine, you'll have to drain the reservoir , take off the gas tank and the drain plug under the engine, which is really small. It's a very simple job and you don't have to do it very often.
Good luck

·
Registered
269 Posts
++ on the premixed Honda coolant - works great. Do NOT use automotive coolant - it contains silicates that can potentially damage your water pump.
I don't see anything in my Owner's Manual about that. Mine says to use ethylene glycol with rust inhibitors for aluminum engines. Prestone Antifreeze/Coolant is made of ethylene glycol and contains rust inhibitors and is safe for aluminum engines.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have used the Preston type you mention on mine and all is good as far as I can tell. The fan only comes on in very hot weather when moving in slow traffic or stopping. It is a 2007 and I have changed it three times in the 70K miles I have on it. As it notes, it is for aluminum engines and contains no silicates. Very easy to change. The plug is very small located on the bottom right side far right on the engine. Took me awhile to find it.
The service manual has a picture but still hard to identify without studying.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have used the Preston type you mention on mine and all is good as far as I can tell. The fan only comes on in very hot weather when moving in slow traffic or stopping. It is a 2007 and I have changed it three times in the 70K miles I have on it. As it notes, it is for aluminum engines and contains no silicates. Very easy to change. The plug is very small located on the bottom right side far right on the engine. Took me awhile to find it.
The service manual has a picture but still hard to identify without studying.
70K miles. That's good to hear. I only need to put about another 60K on mine and we'll be even. :) Have you replaced the drive belt or done anything other than normal maintenance to it?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Chas63. This winter I changed the belt although it looked OK it was starting to squeak. I also put on the front pully. While at it I pulled the swing arm assy. and fixed the zerk issue, repacked all the bearings and repainted it. I also put a progressive shock on the rear that lowered it about a inch or less I would think. They make two for the 900 and one is factory height. After that I took it to my bike shop and had the front springs replaced and oil in the forks. I also used progressive springs burt did not lower the front any. I love the way it rides now, like a new one. Prior to the changes it seem to be hitting hard on bumps. I also replaced the clutch pad and springs. I love this bike! It fits like a glove. Keep the maintenance up on it and my mechanic said should get another 70K or more out of it before maybe some engine upgrades.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts