Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I think it's supposed to be the plain old ethylene glycol stuff. I'm sure it gives the spec in the Owner's Manual.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
So I got the anti freeze that said its for the dexatron GM vehicles. Can I use that in the bike?
If it doesn't say ethylene glycol I wouldn't use it. A lot of us use less than 50/50 to help it to run cooler.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I use engine ice in all my water cooled scoots it is propylene glycol......

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
If it doesn't say ethylene glycol I wouldn't use it. A lot of us use less than 50/50 to help it to run cooler.
+1. A lot of people don't realize that water actually cools better than any coolant or antifreeze. But, water also corrodes and freezes. Running more water and less antifreeze is a great way to keep the motor cool and happy in warmer climates. 50/50 is a 'one size fits all' grade. If you look at the back of some bottles of anti-freeze, it actually has a table for what percentage of anti-freeze you should be using in your climate!

You have to have some, of course. Even if you never ride when it's cold, it can freeze up and damage stuff sitting in a garage, or corrode your motor... but if you live in those hot southern climates, there's no need for half of that stuff to be antifreeze!

·
Registered
537 Posts
The Biggest item of interest is that the coolant / antifreeze should be SILICATE FREE ! Silicate will eat up the water pump ceramic seal. If it says FLEET APPROOVED it should be ok, otherwise read, study, and verify !
I always run 50/50 mix, AND don't trust an old pressure cap ! They are too cheap to ignore !

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I use engine ice in all my water cooled scoots it is propylene glycol......
gm dex.. is propylene glycol (orange?) is better than ethylene (green). Specific heat value .87 vs .85, Water is 1.0, moves more heat per volume than additives but has narrower operating window. Anti-freeze/boil has wider operating window but moves less heat. Pure water would be best for the most heat removal but has all the bad attributes to go with it. so a concoction of mix is necessary.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
PV thanks... I have never been around the GM orange antifreeze.... good to know.... might use it next time as I am sure it is cheaper than 25 bucks a quart...

Correct me if I am wrong but the silicates (which are basically sand particles) help clean and suspend other particulates if I remember correctly. Thus abrasive.... It is hell when you get old. 35 years ago I had to know what the particulate level was in boiler water treatment, and we used silicate.... expensive sand.... in different grit sizes...

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Industrial and commercial closed loop cooling/heating system, those additives were probably desireable to help clean the heat exchanger tubes from scaling up. Those systems are heavier walled copper and steel systems that can handle the abbrasion. Our lite weight alum motors n radiators need a more gentle solution.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts