Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Another Windshield Question/Have any of you tried the Memphis (Santa Cruz or Malibu)

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  DW0378 
#1 ·
Was doing some thinking (I know thats dangerous) and some web-surfing came across the Memphis (Santa Cruz and Malibu) shields, thought the graident black would go great with the SE. Just can't decide if I want to be the guine pig for this test!!!

Anyone have any experience with either of these? I know they are 4-point handle bar mount but it appears from what I can see in the photos the bottom mount actually mount to the fork tubes.

What say you guys?:rolleyes:

#2 ·
No one has anything, good, bad or indifferent?

#4 ·
Not to bring back a long ago thread but rather than start a new on i figured I would ask here.

It has been about a year since this was asked, has anyone tried either of these windshields? My 06 900 classic has a light bar on it that makes windshield mounting difficult So I was looking at the malibu. Would love to hear good o bad experiences Hopefully more good than bad though.

#5 ·
I had a Malibu on my 86 Shadow. Great windshield, looked great and the mounts were top notch and very secure. I ended up cutting about 2" off the top (I am 5'5") but other than that I loved it. Wanted to get another for my Custom SE but it wouldn't look right to me...too wide and large.

#7 ·
I have a gradient Memphis Shades Big Top on my Custom. My advice is: FOLLOW THEIR CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS!. The tint they use bleaches out if you use the wrong cleaner. Also the coating (mylar?) crazes and looks terrible with the sun on it. All because I failed to follow the manufacturer's advice and used automotive windshield cleaner.

#8 ·
I have the 4 point Memphis Shades no-tool trigger-lock hardware kit for Sportshields for the Memphis Shades BIG SHOT Windshield. Works great. Windshield off in 15 seconds, may twice the time to put on, another few seconds to double check securely latched down.

Yes attaches to the top of the forks, works great. Took me maybe 30 to 45 minutes to get put on, get lined up correctly. Of course, I'm the mechanical type where if I just pick up a screwdriver my wife has to call Homeland Security. 'Cause only God knows what mass destruction I might cause with a tool in my hand. :eek: Should be easier for most others. Solid, no problems. I like that.

#9 ·
Well the UPS man came today... I got to start putting on my malibu and when i got to the lower mounts, the ones that go on the forks. Well they will not fit around the top of my forks not sure what the issue is but Iam too tired to try and figure it out now. Will try again tomorrow afternoon

#10 ·
i ordered the National cycle " street shield" i hope the 17 inch is not to high or to short , the reason why i went with this is security issue , the quick detach is in some way not safe anyone with knowldge can easly steel it , i want something that bolt on

#11 ·
So quick Look this afternoon,seems I may have wasted some money. The lower mounts for the windshield will not work on my bike The supplied clamp will mot go over the the upper portion of the fork. So unless I decide to try and fabricate something to make it work it does not look too good.

#12 ·
Spent some time in the garage with her tonight. Seems that short of removing the chrome upper covers on the front forks there is no way to mount the malibu on there. I decided to go for option number 2 and put the memphis shades shield i got with the bike knowing that it would not go on with the light bar ( but would go on). Got it all assembled and it looks great, not sure if it is as tall as I would like it to be but that's another story.

I sent an email to coba to see if they had a relocation kit for the lightbar as I can not seem to find on on line for the 900 only for honda, hopefully the will have something otherwise out to the shop to fabricate my own plate so i can put the lightbar back on as I have no front directional's without it.

#13 ·
SO Cobra got back to me with a simple and polite sorry we don't make a relocation kit for your bike, but thanks for asking.

To solve the lack of directionals at least for the time being I took the two spot lights off the bar completely and re mounted it. I now have directionals and a windshield but no spot lights :( . I can just make up two flat pieces that will mount to the stock light position and move the lights forward and see how that works. I also have a friend that does some fabrication work so I may ask for a helping hand to see if there is a better way of attaching those spotlights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.