Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks Tim1128. My 2009 "1700 Classic" doesn't show up...
Sure would be nice to know what's different in the configuration of my bike versus the VV and Vaq's with this harness/tank interference.

WEG

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks Tim1128. My 2009 "1700 Classic" doesn't show up...
Sure would be nice to know what's different in the configuration of my bike versus the VV and Vaq's with this harness/tank interference.

WEG
There is no difference. The wires are routed in the same fashion and prone to the same chafing problem.

As was suggested to me, Kawi simply didn't sell enough Classics or Nomads to receive any complaints about this problem on those models (or at least not a significant number). However, my 2009 Classic LT was just starting to shown signs of chafing when I looked at it a few years ago. I addressed the problem myself in an manner similar to what the recall includes.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Bike died on the way to Florida. It just electrically shut down. I was sure the main fuse blew, and had an idea why. Wish I had heeded the other reports on the forum and tore the bike down prior to heading out.

I couldn't have broken down at a better time and place. I was heading into Andalusia, AL when everything went black. I coasted into a restaurant parking lot and there was an open spot near a covered porch. Pouring rain out so I got off the bike and under the porch to take in my situation.

I decided that I didn't want to start taking the bike apart in the rain, so I called my ROK roadside assistance. I have a $250 benefit so thought maybe I could get the bike towed to Fort Walton Beach and deal with getting it fixed at the Hotel or by a local dealer. Roadside assistance said the tow company wanted an additional $150 to tow to Fort Walton Beach 75 miles away. I was about to accept that when a couple who were sitting nearby introduced themselves. They are the owners of the local Honda dealership. Rudy offered to open up his shop and have the bike towed there. I told him I had to be at work on Monday and would need to rent a car. He shook his head about the availability of a car rental place, and then to my surprise offered to loan me a bike to continue my trip. I was shocked! Then he probably thought about it a little and realizing that my bike was loaded and it was raining, so he decided to loan me a car from his used car dealership. WOW!

So, I continued on to Florida with a loaner car. I had to wait until the following Tuesday before the Honda dealership opened and the tech could look at it. As suspected, a worn wire that shorted and blew the main fuse. I contacted Kawasaki to see if they will pay their usual warranty rate to at least reimburse me for a portion of the cost since the bike is under warranty and there is not a Kawasaki dealership near Andalusia. They told me to send in the receipts and description of the repair and they will take it under consideration.

Life is an adventure, and sometimes you meet great people during that adventure. I am sure there are great people everywhere, but the folks in the south are top notch and I am so glad I live in the south.

PLEASE PLEASE pull the tank trim and inspect your wiring. Better yet, wrap some additonal tape around the wires before you break down in the middle of nowhere. I now wish I had.

If you are ever passing through Andalusia, stop in at Jackson Honda and say hi.

Here are links to other posts regarding this problem.
Dead shorts in 1700 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

Houston... We have a problem!! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

Update: Got the check from Kawasaki reimbursing me the amount I paid the Honda shop to repair the bike. Thank You Kawasak for standing behind your bikes.
Dave, I just saw this. Amazing story!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does anyone know if this applies to Canada as well?
I got the recall for my 2014 Voyager last week so, yes, it does apply to Canada as well.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Has anyone had the recall done or at least seen the repair kit? I stopped by my dealer to schedule the repair and the mechanic that did my recent service commented that he thinks that my repair with wire loom and zip ties is as good or better fix. He showed me a picture of the repair kit and I tend to agree. Will probably still get Kawi's repair to eliminate any possible issues if any should occur.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had just dropped my bike off at the shop to replace the back tire the day I received the recall notice, so I called them and suggested they do the recall work while they had it. Unfortunately, the parts they say they need are coming from a warehouse in California, and it has been a week without the bike so far.

When I asked them what kind of part was involved in the recall, they said it was a bracket for the wiring that the have to install under the tank.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Waited a little over a week for parts but they came in today. Dropped the bike off this morning and I'll go pick it up a little later today when I leave the office here.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
There are 2 stickies on the 1700 forum that deal with this issue. It is nothing new. Parts? Some tape and a twist in the harness. This problem and the fix have been known for at least 2 years. Do not let a dealer ground your bike for days or weeks for a 15 minute fix.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts