Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
89 Posts
Since we are still in this deep freeze in the northeast, I am getting some things done on the Big V. This is the very first thing I did. When I pulled the tank, I noticed the rubber protection on the wires definitely had a worn down area where it had been rubbing against the tank (18k miles). I don't mean just a scuff mark, it was definitely almost worn through.

It still would have had to go through the wire insulation itself to short out but THANK YOU to the OP on this thread!!! I taped it and put wire loom on top of that. First item on my long list of things I'll be doing over the next few weeks to the VV: done!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Had the tank lifted on my Vaq yesterday to install a Cobra Power Pro. Took a look at the ignition wires and found wear on them from rubbing on the tank. Only 2,000 km on the bike. Added a good layer of extra protection before putting everything back together.
I'm going to go over this with the Dealer the next time I'm in.
Kawi should address this issue. It would be such a simple fix for them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just got done pulling my tank and checking the ignition wires. Very slight wear on the brown wire. Taped them up good and ready to go! Thanks everyone for the good advice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
agreed this should be a recall, with as many people that support this site one would think if Kawasaki received notification from Vulcan Form they may consider an action of some kind,,,, as a group we should have a bigger voice

·
Registered
15 Posts
On the vaquero does the ignition wire run down the left or right(throttle) side of the bike? Are there any color wires I should look for, I'm sure I can find, just asking for a heads up.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
On the vaquero does the ignition wire run down the left or right(throttle) side of the bike? Are there any color wires I should look for, I'm sure I can find, just asking for a heads up.
Thanks
Its the harness that attaches to the ignition just under it. The WHITE wire I've read the most about, but check them all.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Well, I got bit by the short last week. Sitting at a stop light. The light turned green. I let out the clutch and my bike went black.

I instantly suspected what the problem was. I've been following this thread for a while. My suspicions were confirmed today.

The dealer called Maw Kaw and they didn't even finish telling them about it and the tech said, never mind, thus is the problem and the part is on the way.
The new harness came in with directions on how to run the wires so there shouldn't be any more problems.

Mine shorted out at 22,300 miles.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Well, I got bit by the short last week. Sitting at a stop light. The light turned green. I let out the clutch and my bike went black.

I instantly suspected what the problem was. I've been following this thread for a while. My suspicions were confirmed today.

The dealer called Maw Kaw and they didn't even finish telling them about it and the tech said, never mind, thus is the problem and the part is on the way.
The new harness came in with directions on how to run the wires so there shouldn't be any more problems.

Mine shorted out at 22,300 miles.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
This has happened too to many. If you own a 1700, be it a classic, Nomad, Vaquero, or Voyager, take the tank off ( it's not rocket science) and check the wire harness. This will show you how http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98114 . Or just ride along until your stranded in no mans land.

·
Registered
45 Posts
2012 Voyager No Problem

Just pulled the tank on my 2012 Voyager. with 6K miles. The harness was fine. No rubbing. Maybe I got lucky, or they identified and fixed the issue by 2012. Added some tape anyway. Flushed the cooling system and installed engine ice while I was at it. Bike spends less time on the aux cooling fans now.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Just pulled the tank on my 2012 Voyager. with 6K miles. The harness was fine. No rubbing. Maybe I got lucky, or they identified and fixed the issue by 2012. Added some tape anyway. Flushed the cooling system and installed engine ice while I was at it. Bike spends less time on the aux cooling fans now.
Mine took around 40,000 miles to rub through. Good thing you wrapped it while you were in there.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks to this thread, I checked my Vaquero early last year and found rubbing damage after just a couple of thousand kilometers. I described the issue in detail to the mechanics at the local Kaw Dealer. They had not encountered the problem locally, but are at least now aware of it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Preventive repair

So I have the tank off to do my coolant flush since I'm going with Engine Ice and took the opportunity to inspect my Ignition wiring and while I haven't worn through, it has rubbed wires. My bike only has 4000 miles(2012 model) and suspect if left unattended it would have worn through at some point in the life of the motorcycle. Why this isn't a recall item I'll never know.

Pics attached before and after.

Craig

Attachments

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
So I have the tank off to do my coolant flush since I'm going with Engine Ice and took the opportunity to inspect my Ignition wiring and while I haven't worn through, it has rubbed wires. My bike only has 4000 miles(2012 model) and suspect if left unattended it would have worn through at some point in the life of the motorcycle. Why this isn't a recall item I'll never know.

Pics attached before and after.

Craig
Because people are fixing it themselves, and not reporting to Kawasaki and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration or is NHSTB?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Because people are fixing it themselves, and not reporting to Kawasaki and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration or is NHSTB?
+1. ESPECIALLY those who had an actual failure.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I brought this up to my dealer and showed him the exact issue that was being reported. They called Kawi and reported it to them while I was there; took pics of my bike and sent it in. I imagine if this same procedure was repeated many times, Kawi might get the message

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Report it to Kawasaki, your dealer; AND the NHTSA. Make SURE to remind your dealer, Kawasaki, and the NHTSA that this failure would cause the motorcycle to unintentionally shut off, would cause a failure of the ABS system, and disable all lights and turn signals. A recipe for an accident if the conditions are right. (Yes, you'll still have brakes; but no power = no ABS). Recalls aren't always for common warranty failures. Recalls are generally when it's a safety issue. Make it clear that this is an issue of safety and the NHTSA may force Kawasaki to issue a recall.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Kawasaki just announced a recall for this problem. Here is a copy of the notice from Kawasaki under the recall heading.

IGNITION SWITCH WIRING INSPECTION--Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. has determined that a problem which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in 2009-2015 Vulcan 1700 Voyager, Voyager ABS, Vaquero, Vaquero ABS.

Note: VIN/HIN required to search for outstanding recalls.
Recall Date:08/31/2015
Remedy: Your Kawasaki dealer will inspect and repair your motorcycle at no charge. The repair consists of replacing ignition switches that have damaged wires and installing additional shielding and padding. The actual repair will take up to three hours but may take longer due to scheduling at the dealership and the time needed to obtain required parts. Please call your Kawasaki motorcycle dealer to schedule an appointment.
Risk: On certain units, one of the ignition switch wires could chafe and short against the bottom of the fuel tank. This could result in the engine stalling possibly creating the potential for a crash resulting in injury or death.
NHTSA Recall #: 15V550
Kawasaki Recall #: MC15-10
Consumer Contact:For more information, contact your authorized Kawasaki dealer or call Kawasaki toll-free at 866-802-9381 between 8:00am and 5:00pm PT, Monday through Friday.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts