Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I checked mine yesterday too. The wires are routed and protected well, but I wrapped them just in case. I wonder if this is a problem when they are put together out of the crate on some? Maybe the dealers are being careless in assembly?
The tank is already on the bike in the crate. I helped uncrate mine and assemble it. I have photos if you are interested.

I think some have different amount of wrap on the wires and the wires probably have slight differences in length. If you click on the links in my original post to the other posts on this issue you can compare some of the photos to your bike.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wires in question after front tank is removed from mounts and unbolted in rear where seat connects.

View of where wires rub on the inside of tank. Look for shiny section on inside of the tank. This is where wires are looped together and rubbing against tank.

View of main harness running on top of frame. These are not the wires in question. The wire you need to look for are the ones coming from ignition area only. You will notice there is not enough protective coating on the harness after tank is popped off.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I didn't see another post in here from the 2013 crowd so I'll just go ahead and confirm that the issue still exists. Here are a couple clear shots to help visualize the location and just how close they sit to the tank "out of the box."

This is from a little farther back. I've only removed the trim at this point.

And here's a closeup of the wires just a hair from touching the tank.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Compliments on the close-up. It's difficult getting focus when that close! :good:

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I did a quick wrap on mine Saturday before a 300 mile round trip to the COC meeting. There was rubbing. I will pull the tank in the next few days and wrap it with fiberglass tape then vinyl tape.

·
Registered
62 Posts
After reading this sticky, I pulled the tank bezel off my 09 VV yesterday to check it. There's enough room to run my finger in between the ignition wire cluster and the fuel tank. No wear marks whatsoever on the wires. I guess not all bikes are affected by this. Good to have the peace of mind that all is ok. Great thread.

Ersterhernd

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ignition wire issue....

I have a 2010 Voyager with 29,000 miles on it.....It's still under warranty, extended that is, never had an issue like that and don't want one on the road....I believe I'll take it to my dealership and have them take care of this ignition wire issue....

I have 2 more questions about the Voyager:

1. It still continues to make this horrible "whine..." From shifting up and down, at a steady speed and coasting, what got to me, which it always has, when I was in the Texas Hill Country, I road passed a guy videoing M/C's riding by, DANG, I could hear the whine on the video he took, other riders on other bikes sounded like a M/C should, no whine with them....What's the real issue causing this horrible whine, that's always been my main complaint with my Voyager, do all Voyagers whine like this, is there a cure for it?

2. I bought my Voyager new May 2010, same battery, I keep it charged if I don't ride it for a few weeks but today when I started it up, the clock wasn't showing the right time and the "range" display (the display under the actual mileage) shows only "dashes..." Is this a sign I need a new battery? My charger shows my battery is fully charged....Any idea's why this is happening??

·
Registered
34 Posts
whine

whine comes from drive belt being too tight per mfg specs. we all have the whine till we 'loosen our belt'. haven't done mine yet. 2012 model, one year old now, with 2700 miles and mine still whines. maybe a little more prominent or maybe im just noticing it more.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I think I read that this issue was fixed on newer models by extending the protective coating on the harness. Can anyone verify this, and what year was it done. I have a 2012 Voyager, that I got in July as a leftover model.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I think I read that this issue was fixed on newer models by extending the protective coating on the harness. Can anyone verify this, and what year was it done. I have a 2012 Voyager, that I got in July as a leftover model.
Rick,

I've got a 2013 and I can't tell that it's been fixed by Kawi. My pics should be a few posts up the page here (07-14-2013 03:45 PM).

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
After I bought my Nomad I read about this problem and removed the tank bezel to check it and every thing looked fine. This week I have had the tank off to change plugs, replace coolant, and wrap pipes and I noticed a small amount of chafing on the white wire. After taping it and the whole harness coming out of the ignition switch tube I spun the plug counter clock wise one turn which makes the wires lay flat against the frame, clearance problem solved. This simple technique gives over 1/4" of clearance from the tank and puts just enough tension on the harness to keep it from moving around from vibration without stressing the wire or plug.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Just reread this thread and noticed that Rick asked if the problem had been fixed. Monday we had the tank off of a 2011 vv and the harness cover is still very short. There was no damage to his harness but we taped it anyway.

Since then I have been thinking kawi may be doing this on purpose to allow any moisture that enters the ignition stem from the switch some where to go before it gets to the plug on the frame. Either way the harness is to long which allows it to rub the bottom of the tank. If you do the counter clock wise twist to it it will solve the problem of the rub whether you tap it or not.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is this true for the 2013 model year? I just had the tank lifted while I installed a Cobra Powerpro. The wires looked protected and not in the way of the tank. 2013 Voyager.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Is this true for the 2013 model year? I just had the tank lifted while I installed a Cobra Powerpro. The wires looked protected and not in the way of the tank. 2013 Voyager.
If you look back at my post from July in this thread you'll see the pics of my wiring on a 2013. They weren't rubbing but they were exposed and close to the tank. I used some cable shield and other have just unplugged the wire and given it a twist to change how it's flexed. I figured better safe than stranded.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If you look back at my post from July in this thread you'll see the pics of my wiring on a 2013. They weren't rubbing but they were exposed and close to the tank. I used some cable shield and other have just unplugged the wire and given it a twist to change how it's flexed. I figured better safe than stranded.
+1 like the old saying goes an ounce of prevention etc.......

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yep, I checked my 2013 that I just bought on November 9th, 2013. I have only 1,000 miles on it and yes a wire was touching the tank. It had already started to rub, discolored the insulation on the white wire. I covered them with wire wrap and zip tied them back away from the tank. Thanks all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks to all those who blazed path on this one. Mine was only slightly abraded at 18k mi, so wrapped 'er up and tucked her back in.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Here is a pic of the wiring that sets under the front of the gas tank that is rubbing, thought I would post for those who are wondering which wire or group of wires for sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
Whine

I have a 2010 Voyager with 29,000 miles on it.....It's still under warranty, extended that is, never had an issue like that and don't want one on the road....I believe I'll take it to my dealership and have them take care of this ignition wire issue....

I have 2 more questions about the Voyager:

1. It still continues to make this horrible "whine..." From shifting up and down, at a steady speed and coasting, what got to me, which it always has, when I was in the Texas Hill Country, I road passed a guy videoing M/C's riding by, DANG, I could hear the whine on the video he took, other riders on other bikes sounded like a M/C should, no whine with them....What's the real issue causing this horrible whine, that's always been my main complaint with my Voyager, do all Voyagers whine like this, is there a cure for it?

2. I bought my Voyager new May 2010, same battery, I keep it charged if I don't ride it for a few weeks but today when I started it up, the clock wasn't showing the right time and the "range" display (the display under the actual mileage) shows only "dashes..." Is this a sign I need a new battery? My charger shows my battery is fully charged....Any idea's why this is happening??
I have experienced the whine, but was corrected by loosening the belt slightly. It's a fine balance between getting rid of most of the whine, and having to much slack.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Well, it took almost 40,000 miles to happen to me. It not only wore through the wire, it also wore through the paint on the tank.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts