Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure you old forumers are sick of the question, but I have to ask because there are a lot of threads on the search and i'm impatient.

1. A lot of controversy on this, but do you think the first oil change is too soon to switch to Synthetic? I am switching for sure, it's when to swich thats my issue. Some say do it, some say wait a few changes till it's broken in for sure.
2: I'm a midwesterner and a wimpy rider. I don't ride below 50-55 degrees and the hottest it gets here is 95-98 and its not often.
I'm thinking of using 20w50. This Kaw engine is rather noisy and I have a tendency to push my bikes. Also between my big self and the stuff i carry back and forth to work I run near the bikes weight capacity quit often.
In my peanut brain 20-50 seems like a good choice.
Am I wrong?

Thanks for indulging me:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed the oil (Dino) at 400. The thought of all those metal shaving in there was killing me.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I swapped out the original oil at 1000 miles (yeah, I know, so shoot me) for KawChem synthetic 10w-40. Ran that for 4200 miles and changed to Mobil 1 m/c 10w-40 and a Mobil 1 filter. I plan on changing that out at about 9500 miles. Why should you worry about when to switch? A lot of the higher priced cars come from the factory with it already in the crankcase.

If you run within the air temps you mentioned, you should be able to get away with 20-50 OK.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts