·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Saddlemen

The short version.

- Done on the factory Vulcan seat pan.
- It is a "Explorer" styled 2 up seat.
- All new foam with Gel inserts in both rider and pillion(Misses call on the Gel, her bike)
- Out the door cost with shipping $389

Stock seat for reference
http://s19.postimg.org/v9y2kc6ci/20141203_182510.jpg

Saddlemen "Explorer" styled seat
http://s19.postimg.org/9xqkmnmea/20141203_182301.jpg

Side by side(Stitching looks slightly off in the pic, but it is a optical illusion from the right side of the seat sitting down in the wiper cowl. It is spot on in person)
http://s19.postimg.org/x0h3ltnvm/20141203_182849.jpg

Profile comparison
http://s19.postimg.org/65726x6w2/20141203_182754.jpg

The riders seat offers about a 1.5" more support on each side, largely due to the firmer foam and the more defined cut in the seat to back support is a huge improvement. Granted it is 15 degrees here right now and the bike is stuck on a lift waiting for coolant hoses, so a test ride is not an option, however it is a night and day difference as soon as you take a seat. We did not move the position fore/aft or change the seat height as it fit her well as is. Just after a more comfortable seat.

·
Registered
814 Posts
flstffxe,

That's great. Not many seat options for the 500 so we're glad to hear of the Saddleman. Your post hints about a side-by-side comparison but there are no photos. Sure would like to see your new seat.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Try that, removed the embedded image wrap and just left the hot links.

They work on my work pc, which hasn't ever been to either this forum or postimg for the hosting.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They were willing to do what ever we wanted with it as far as shaping the foam or giving it various profiles like a gun fighter styled solo, lowering the seat hieght... or a nose job for shorter riders... Different stitching designs, colors, gel inserts or not. Basically anything we wanted as long as we provided the pan. For the price, this was hard to beat.

I picked up a donor seat on ebay. Took picks and laid out chalk marks where we sort of wanted things to end up. Pretty painless maybe 8-10 emails back and forth with the sales rep (Randal) and roughly a 15 day turn around time. I'm tempted to send the original seat in to do a gun fighter styled solo.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Nice looking seat! I wish you had posted a month earlier as I may have gone that route rather than the recent Drifter 800 seat replacement which puts the rider about an inch or so higher.

I hope the Saddleman feels as good as it looks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice looking seat! I wish you had posted a month earlier as I may have gone that route rather than the recent Drifter 800 seat replacement which puts the rider about an inch or so higher.

I hope the Saddlemen feels as good as it looks.
A month ago, I still hadn't remembered(or been reminded of) Saddlemen's custom seat program. I was still getting quotes from local upholsterers and some of the other well known seat modders and builders, Most all of which came in at over $450 for quotes that wanted to modify the existing foam and add to it, not replace it and many closer to $600 by the time shipping and other options like the gel that the Misses wanted and making a entirely new cover were factored in. Just not worth it.

I sent the seat off as soon as Randal and I worked out the details on Nov 13th and got it back last night Dec 03. pretty good turn around with shipping.

We're actually truly surprised at how good it feels even with out getting out on the road with the bike. Everyone(about 5 people so far) who has sat on it on the lift who has ridden the bike in the past is giving a positive review of the feel and it helps we have a stock one to do a side by side comparison, so we have good hopes.

Little by little this little bike is getting dialed in the way we want it. So far the single best improvements have been; handeling was the Progressive fork springs, Comfort should be the seat, and utility was the bags. Next one on the list is likely to be rear shocks, probably a set of Progressives.

And still hoping to pester Delkevic into doing a exhaust for us.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
... Drifter 800 seat replacement which puts the rider about an inch or so higher.
I like the extra height, compared to the stock seat. I can stretch my legs a bit more.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm torn on what to do with the hieght if I send in the other factory seat to do a gunfighter seat.

If it were solely my bike I think I would lower it some to get you more down in the bike vs on top of it and do some forward control extentions. But, seeing as I can't do the forward control extentions due to the Misses reach. So I'm left wondering if raising the seat hieght might not be a better option to stretch out the legs a little more.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I'm finding that the seat position is a big part of how you "fit" a motorcycle. I'm not referring to just seat comfort ("butt" comfort). The stock 500 seat put me in a perfect position for all controls, even the fixed handlebars, and I liked it for that reason, but it sure caused a bad case of butt burn after a couple hours. The Drifter seat is an improvement in comfort but is a little off in position, more forward and higher. That'll take a little getting used to and did require a major windshield modification and backrest reposition. Even a slight difference in seat tilt makes a big difference.

So, when someone says their motorcycle seat is "perfect", it's a highly personal statement since we're all built different. A showroom sit may give a hint on fit, but not comfort. That part is revealed only by seat time. That's why today :smile-big:, I'm selling my perfectly good, showroom condition 2013 Triumph America with less than 3k miles. Great fit, a real looker, but a real pain in the ass. I guess that's why motorcycles are addressed in the female gender.:D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^^

I can't agree more. I more or less grew up in motorcycle shops and was everything from parts counter, mechanic and service manager for almost two decades. The "Can you recommend me a comfortable seat?" Was always one of the hardest to deal with.

Some like Corbins for the form fitting shape and looks, others hate them with a passion. Some like Mustang and Saddlemen because of the softer foam. ... All personal preference.

What I like, you might hate and what you like sitting on here, you may hate in 200 miles. I would often advise people to swap seats with a buddy when they could to test things out on their own bike. I would also depending on the person loan one of my personal seats out for a hour or two.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, figure I should give a first impressions report after a 150 mile ride yesterday.

It, for me is a 100 times improvement over the factory seat. Holy grail? Not for me, i lIke a firmer seat lIke Corbin. Granted this was the first ride of the year And I will be the first to admit, I do not have my saddle butt.

There is absolutely a better rider weight distribution with more support at the outer edges of the seat. The firmer foam also kept me from sinking down in the seat to the pan. Sitting position is virtually the same as the factory seat.

Overall I put the factory seat at about a 1 out of 10. The Saddlemen, 7 out of 10. Not bad for a softer seat than I normally like and a seat that is fresh out of the box not being broken in yet. Would do again, without question.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts