Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a question. I have a rear 200-70 15 Avon Venom tire. Can I install a Baron or Scootworks front and rear pulley or just the rear

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
You can install both or just the rear. Both will allow enough room for the tire to fit as will the rear. Be careful with the just adding the rear as it puts you at the limit of adjustment for the belt, and some have not been able to adjust the belt to tension properly.

The front pulley is larger, so it means the rear wheel has to come forward and limits the room for the bigger tire. The rear pulley is smaller, thus giving more room for a bigger tire. Installing both evens the whole process out. With both pulley's you might find you are geared a bit high if you have the taller tire.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Tire/Pulley combination

With both pulley's and a 170 -80 rear tire the rpm's will be about 15% lower. So 4,000 rpm's at 70 mph will be 3400 with the changes. When changing just one I would go with the rear because you can change the tire size more readily then and have a reduction of around 9% without changing the front pulley.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
With both pulley's and a 170 -80 rear tire the rpm's will be about 15% lower. So 4,000 rpm's at 70 mph will be 3400 with the changes. When changing just one I would go with the rear because you can change the tire size more readily then and have a reduction of around 9% without changing the front pulley.
Have all three as well (with the exception my tire is a 200/70-15). Really like the new gearing from 1st to 5th. I find that cruising in town I do not have to shift as often, and only use 5th when out on the super slab.

You can go to this web-site and see the changes various configurations will make to the gearing and rpm's. http://www.gearingcommander.com/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts