Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just got home yesterday with my "new" used 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT. It only has 2400 miles on it, so it hasn't been ridden much. I have looked over the forum for this type of question and couldn't find it, so forgive me if this is a repeat...

Tooling along happily at about 70 mph for about 30 minutes. No problems at any speed up to that point. When I decelerated to about 60, I all of a sudden heard something that sounded like rocks being rolled around in a paper bag. When I clutched, it stopped and did not recur immediately upon engine reactivation. It did recur seconds later though. This went on for about 15 seconds (seemed like an eternity) and would fade at 70. After that, it just stopped. I did not pull over as I was not at a good stopping point and there were no warning lights and the noise never recurred. Any ideas? The bike had been serviced at 600 but had not had any work done after that. I rode it this morning about 2 miles with no issues. Should I take it in to be looked at? Could it have been ridden too hard during the break in period by the previous owner?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Cat...finally got her and now I'm worried

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have heard that noise only once on my bike and it was when I was decellerating. After that one time I havent hear it since then. I took my bike for it's scheduled tune-up and told them about the noise. They tuned the bike up, and took it out for a ride and said they couldnt find anything wrong, those noises are not uncommon, and everything looked and sounded normal. If it makes you feel better to have the bike serviced, by all means go for it, but if your bike is past the 12 month warrantee you will be paying out of pocket for them to tell you its nothing. Hope this helped ya a little. Good Luck!

P.S.-- "Rocks in a paper bag" was a great way to describe the noise lol

·
Registered
376 Posts
You may want to check to see if the front pulley nut came loose. It only takes about 10 minutes to check. When the nut comes loose, the washer on the shaft makes an intermittent rattling sound. Just something to check. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts