Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I recently acquired a Vulcan 900 Classic and thought I should read up on them a bit. This forum looks good. My street experience goes back 56 years. I needed a bike that didn't weigh more than I could pick up when it falls over. :nerd:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It's a great bike I hear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum. It's a great bike I hear.

Thanks. I think it is a bike that is very forgiving in handling and it seems to be well built. A little too much plastic but I guess that is the way it is these days.

Power is adequate and, overall, the riding position is comfortable. Mine has the wire wheels which I like the looks of but I do have some concerns about flat tires on this bike as it appears the only remedy is a towing service.

A small thing but I am pleased with the rear view mirrors lack of shake at most speeds. I can actually see what is coming up behind me.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Another Georgia welcome!

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Hi all. I recently acquired a Vulcan 900 Classic and thought I should read up on them a bit. This forum looks good. My street experience goes back 56 years. I needed a bike that didn't weigh more than I could pick up when it falls over. :nerd:
After a 33 year hiatus, I also chose the Vulcan 900 Classic, mine the LT version. After my first highway trip, I though I went too small. Now that I'm back in DC where I reside permanently, I am finding it to be the perfect around town, over-the-parkway, through the twisties bike. It is a really really good compromise in the sense that it handles these things really nicely and can also go on the highway.

I just received my two Baron pulleys, which will give it lower RPMs at highway speeds. I think the bike would be perfect if there were a 6th gear, but there isn't. Fifth gear on the highway revs too high for me. It'l do it, and from what I read is happy at higher revs, but I want 3500 RPM vibes at near 70 rather than around 60, so I'm adding the pulleys. It will never cruise the highway like the 1700, but I believe from what I've read that it will do it well enough for me after this mod while maintaining that incredible Boulevard cruiser spirit in town. We'll see. It sure is a good looking thing, and it has more than enough power for me. Just rode it home form a venue downtown where I wanted to leave some goofballs in the dust on the parkway and was able to do so better than in any car I've ever owned with a small twist of the throttle. I'm having a blast. Never having been a huge bike guy, perhaps I'm easily amused, but I'm loving it!

I put synthetic oil in at 3600 on my second oil change. MAN has that made it smooth, both shifting and the engine. MAN-O-MAN. Nope, I'm not making it up. I've learned my bike sounds. Me, the synthetic oil skeptic ---- I'm now a synthetic oil fan all the way.

Enjoy the bike!
VulcanDan61

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Welcome in stantdm,rode my 06 classic 9 7 years,great all around bike,not one issue in 18k,tires and couple batteries,oil changes
bike liked full synthetic,should of kept it
moved up to 1700 this year,she likes to ride,love this nomad

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank guys.

I agree about needing a 6th gear as I find myself shifting after fifth to no avail. I live in western South Dakota and have both canyons in the Black Hills and long two laners to ride on. Once the bike is broken in we will see how it likes running at 70 to 75. Those pulleys sound like the fix and I will read about them.

So far I cannot fault the Vulcan. It is my first Cruiser. It handles well and is comfortable on the few fifty mile rides I have taken. All my other bikes were "standards" like CB750 Hondas, Yamaha 850 TDM's and similar. I chose the Cruiser because of its low seat height and weight. I did look at a couple of other brands but thought that the Vulcan was both a good buy and well made. The right amount of power for an old guy.

regards and thanks again for the replies,

Stan

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Before spending the money for both pulleys Change the easy on first. I bought a 9 last fall that had had the front pulley replaced and had heard all the talk about buzzy highway speeds so on the test ride I put it on 75 and road for about 5 miles and was pleased with the performance of the bike. The point I'm getting at, if you are not an 80mph+ guy changing the rear pulley when the tire wears out may be plenty of buzz relief.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks TS that is sound advice. Since my bike is new and has about 400 miles on it since I bought it I have not taken it over 60 mph yet. Normally I would run a bike a couple of hundred and then let it rip. Now I have patience and am trying to follow the owners manual. Even at 60 I want another gear so I suspect that a pulley or two is in the bikes future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts