Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In December I finally was able to purchase the bike I've been wanting for a decade. I got an '06 VN2000F with just over 3500 miles on it. It came with Cobra pipes, a Baron Big Air Kit, and a Power Commander. I got it for a song because the dealership had two and everyone's afraid of all this power. The owner of the dealership said previous owner dumped it and got afraid of it so he traded it in for something smaller (you can see the scratches on the crash bars).

Basically I bought it and immediately stored it in my brother in law's garage (apartment dweller here). I sold my old VN1500N to my brother in law for next to nothing and last week we swapped bars (I needed my apes and he wanted stock bars) and did some other work to set them up.

Last weekend I brought it home and am anxious to to make it my own like I did the 1500. I am having trouble finding resources like I did for the 1500 (similar to http://www.gadgetjq.com/. I know I can find threads about individual mods in the forums, but no comprehensive list or website resource. VN2000.com is ok, but I find it...., lacking...., no offense to the owner.

I was hoping someone, or someones can list a few of the bigger mods, and what they do for me and / or answer the couple questions I have below. I'm a bit of a simple person and have gotten frustrated searching through some of the threads for specifics.

I've never had a power commander before. Can I do something with the programming to get more "growl" at idle? Or anything else at idle to improve the "growl". My pipes are debaffled and roar at speed, but idle is kind of ehhh. Can some explain the basics of programming it to me? I'm having trouble finding a manual for it online.

How complicated is the butterfly removal, is it something that can be done relatively quick in an apartment parking lot? It sounds like a good mod.

Is there more that would need to be done to swap an inch shorter shock? I'd like to lower it just a bit, but have never messed with anything on a soft tail style frame like this. My Suzuki Intruder and my VN1500 both had exposed shocks.

I hate the coil cover..., what have people done to change this up?

Has someone come up with a quick windshield removal yet?

What other cool stuff can I do to this bike?

Thanks for putting up with the new guy..., I'm hoping to be able to collect and orginize these mods for the future.

20150322_190004.jpg

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Hiya....you've joined a great community. Welcome.
I just joined recently myself, so I'm not the most versed on the bike.
If you're looking for a manual for the Power Commander (is it a Power Commander 3?) here is a link to where you can get their software, manuals, and tutorials.:
http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Downloads/powercommander_downloads.aspx?ProdType=PCIIIUSB

If you don't have a PC3 like I do, navigate one page back and you should be able to find what you need.

I have some posts towards the end of a thread on this forum, read it carefully.....I managed to effectively scramble my PC3 firmware....so don't do as I did.

I also have an 06, loving it. I'm sure you'll get lots of helpful info here as I did. Like I said, it's a pretty great community.:good:

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
Last weekend I brought it home and am anxious to to make it my own like I did the 1500. I am having trouble finding resources like I did for the 1500 (similar to http://www.gadgetjq.com/. I know I can find threads about individual mods in the forums, but no comprehensive list or website resource. VN2000.com is ok, but I find it...., lacking...., no offense to the owner.
Searching thru this site is one of the better resources. You won't find anything like you did with the 1500. The V2K was only produced and sold for 7 years.

I was hoping someone, or someones can list a few of the bigger mods, and what they do for me and / or answer the couple questions I have below. I'm a bit of a simple person and have gotten frustrated searching through some of the threads for specifics.
I'm not sure there really is a compiled list like your wanting. The sky, (and your wallet) is the limit to what you can do...

I've never had a power commander before. Can I do something with the programming to get more "growl" at idle? Or anything else at idle to improve the "growl". My pipes are debaffled and roar at speed, but idle is kind of ehhh. Can some explain the basics of programming it to me? I'm having trouble finding a manual for it online.
the power commander won't affect the way the pipes sound. It's to change the ratio of air to gas mix.

Most metric bikes don't idle "loud". Not compared to the double stroke of the harley's. Best pipes at idle are the freedom sharp curves.

How complicated is the butterfly removal, is it something that can be done relatively quick in an apartment parking lot? It sounds like a good mod.
VERY VERY easy. Just don't drop the screws "down in there".. or your easy job become a nightmare job.

Is there more that would need to be done to swap an inch shorter shock? I'd like to lower it just a bit, but have never messed with anything on a soft tail style frame like this. My Suzuki Intruder and my VN1500 both had exposed shocks.
Barons' use to make a 2-inch drop kit. They don't make them anymore..

I ran with one for several years. Last year I switched out the shock to a progressive with a 1-inch drop... so took the 2-inch out. Sold it to somebody here...

I hate the coil cover..., what have people done to change this up?
Poncho will say to remove it, and everything behind it, but that's not for everybody. A lot of us paint it. It does not cost much...

Has someone come up with a quick windshield removal yet?
Yes, the switchblade. But it looks like you have a factory one. Not compatible.

What other cool stuff can I do to this bike?
Like any bike, the direction you take it is up to you. (look into the resistor mod though).

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
What other can I do to this bike?
View attachment 107210
u musta gott some stiky tires.. that tractor bike can climb str8t up walls.

for starters joe, take all that bolt on schitt off that bike till shes nuthin butt bare bones n motor. then only put bak on watt is needed for her to run.. nott much.. now then u gott a bichen sled.. nott nuther kopy of evry others wett dream. poncho

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, my 1500 was very modded.... I had a big wreck and had to do a lot on a small budget. I primarily used Gadgets page as a guide.

I think I'm putting a hitch cover where the coil cover is... just have to figure out the bracket to do it.

I was hoping increasing the fuel at low idle would give it more growl.... my 1500 was loud as **** at idle with V&H Longshots, was hoping for the same here.... oh well

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
424 Posts
If that's a picture of your bike at the bottom of the post, those aren't de baffled stockers, but 3" hard chromes, it's funny you think they're not that loud, cause mine are on the obnoxious side, still love em though :)

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I think I'm putting a hitch cover where the coil cover is... just have to figure out the bracket to do it. oh well
tcw,, i used the fuel pump to cover the coils. flatt blak invisable paint. poncho

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sand and paint the coil cover... It disappears.

Check the pipes, prolly has baffles...

Euro gears.. Won't hurt the launch, KILLS em on the top end!

Cruiser or tourer? Gotta have a goal...

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for some of the ideas....,

I'm totally about cruiser...., going to make this one all fringy / western like my 1500 only more so. I have my visual goal in mind. Not like a drifter or Indian per se..., just a nice respectable cruiser that looks like a cowboy could be riding it. I'm planning to make my own fringe for this.

After Poncho's pics I'm really sure about my coil cover replacement.

It'll take a while for the funds but I'll probably swap the shock for a progressive 1" lower down the road.

The butterfly removal is almost a given and the resistor mod a little after that.

For the sound..., I yanked the baffles well before my first post. They're loud enough...., just not as loud as I've come to be used too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts