Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, if I understand correctly, I put a regular kids glass marble in this hose (see photo) I will greatly reduce/eliminate popping. What's the downside? I run V&H pipes and fuelpak.

·
Registered
711 Posts
It will help reduce the backfiring, it won't eliminate it but will help a lot. Just make sure the marble is big enough. I did it way back and so far so good.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does it matter what side of the hose? Could I plug up both fittings and eliminate the hose?

What is the downside?

·
Registered
711 Posts
You can, some aftermarket air boxes come with a plug but they still recommend to install the hose to the airbox. I'm sure you can eliminate the hose from the T part (cant recall the name). I don't see any downsides, same principal either way.

Or you can reroute that hose by sending it from the back to the bottom part of the airbox. Go to Big Baron (BAK) web and see their instructions on pdf file. Rerouting the hose that way may look better.

·
Registered
950 Posts
My marble plugged that hole completely. If you plug it there, you should not need to anywhere else. If one were to just remove the hose, the switch would still let air in through the open hole that used to have a hose connected to it. That hole would still have to be plugged somehow.

I think the the downside concerns emissions. Fuel that has not been expunged will be blown out through the pipes and evaporate. Depending on where you live, you might not meet emission requirements.

On a plus side, if you don't like how your bike runs after marbling, just squeeze the marble out and you are back to where you were.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
427 Posts
I just did mine tonight. As mechanically inept as I am, if I can do it, anyone can. I wasn't overly impressed by the results, but I think it helped a little. The difference is so minor, though, I'm not even sure I could say to what degree the improvement is. Kinda disappointing. I'm going to try the smoke test around the engine and check to make sure my gaskets are okay. Also threw in 92 octane tonight instead of the usual 87...I'm going to give everything a shot before settling and figuring I'm just going to have to live with it. Fortunately, I don't have any backfires and the popping is relatively minor...but still...

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I just did mine tonight. As mechanically inept as I am, if I can do it, anyone can. I wasn't overly impressed by the results, but I think it helped a little. The difference is so minor, though, I'm not even sure I could say to what degree the improvement is. Kinda disappointing. I'm going to try the smoke test around the engine and check to make sure my gaskets are okay. Also threw in 92 octane tonight instead of the usual 87...I'm going to give everything a shot before settling and figuring I'm just going to have to live with it. Fortunately, I don't have any backfires and the popping is relatively minor...but still...
What results besides minimizing the decel popping were you expecting?

·
Registered
427 Posts
What results besides minimizing the decel popping were you expecting?
That was indeed the result I was expecting...unfortunately, the degree to which it minimized it was less than expected. I had hoped for, in not elimination, then significant minimization. Instead, the degree to which it minimized it seems to small that I'm not I can tell much of a difference.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
That was indeed the result I was expecting...unfortunately, the degree to which it minimized it was less than expected. I had hoped for, in not elimination, then significant minimization. Instead, the degree to which it minimized it seems to small that I'm not I can tell much of a difference.
With mine, and I've got the PCV connected, the decel popping occurs if I'm trailing the throttle ever so slightly during deceleration. At zero throttle there's no popping until just about 1000 RPM where I get a rumble. Then when I get back on the throttle the engine clears its throat for a split second before everything returns to normal. Even without the PCV that pause or stumble was there. I'll keep working on the zero throttle cells to try and eliminate the noise.

·
Registered
427 Posts
With mine, and I've got the PCV connected, the decel popping occurs if I'm trailing the throttle ever so slightly during deceleration. At zero throttle there's no popping until just about 1000 RPM where I get a rumble. Then when I get back on the throttle the engine clears its throat for a split second before everything returns to normal. Even without the PCV that pause or stumble was there. I'll keep working on the zero throttle cells to try and eliminate the noise.
That probably describes mine as well. At zero throttle, there's no popping...it's when I begin to give it a little gas that the popping happens. For example, coming down a large hill: I first let up on the gas, might hear a little gurling, but minimal noise...then eventually go to no throttle as I descend in gear... no noise. Then as I approach the bottom of the hill I'll begin to give it some gas and that's when I hear the popping for a brief moment. Maybe it's just the nature of the bike, I don't know.

I'll hear it periodically in other situations, but the above scenario is the most common.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I did marbling this week with very dissapointing results, I think it made my bike pop more. I did read on a previous thread that it didn't work at all or very little on 08 and newer 900's, I have a 09 classic. Most of the popping is with a little throttle as described by at-home-daddy. I took the marbles out and find it pops less. I don't find the popping to be very annoying so I will leave it as is.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I did marbling this week with very dissapointing results, I think it made my bike pop more. I did read on a previous thread that it didn't work at all or very little on 08 and newer 900's, I have a 09 classic. Most of the popping is with a little throttle as described by at-home-daddy. I took the marbles out and find it pops less. I don't find the popping to be very annoying so I will leave it as is.
I'm unsure as to whether or not I'll take the marble out. Sometimes it seems like it's helping a little...other times it sounds the same...and I've had a few instances where I've had pops that sounded louder than before. So a mixed bag of results, to be sure. Will probably ride it for another week or two before deciding.

Do you recall where you read about the '08 and '09 difference? Mine's an a '08, and I'd like to read up on that possibility.

·
Registered
719 Posts
No change across the model years. Avoiding abrupt changes in the throttle during decel is the best way to minimize popping. Plan ahead and slowly close the throttle.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The comment about 08 and newer was on a thread about marbling in late February, early March. It just took me a long time to get around to giving it a try.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The comment about 08 and newer was on a thread about marbling in late February, early March. It just took me a long time to get around to giving it a try.
Do you recall *why* this person/persons thought this, what it was about the '08 and newer that he thought caused this? I'm not sure I give too much credence to the argument, but would be curious what he based it on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts