Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've done stage 2 debaffle and today I installed a K&N air filter. If I do the "redneck mod", moving the inlet to the front of the air box underneath the idle adjusting screw, will I need a fuel processor? I would appreciate hearing from anyone who's done the same mods and the results.
I'm not looking for more power, the K&N filter was cheaper than OEM and the air inlet between the cylinders supplies hot dirty air. I just want to supply cool clean air to the engine.
I'm guessing it's not enough of a change to require a processor.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The answer is... I don't know. You may be verging on needing a processor, but there is no way to tell without trying it. The best thing to do would be to check your plugs. There are several write-ups on the internet with pictures to show how to read spark plugs for lean condition. You won't hurt your engine by running a little lean for a while. And I doubt you would get it so lean that the bike starts to run rough. In fact, when I did my dogbowl air box mod, I didn't realize I was running lean until I got the processor and started tuning it. Only when I added a little fuel could I really start to hear the difference.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Jeep Pirate. I'll have to keep an eye on my plugs. The bike runs great with the K&N filter, maybe because it's clean versus the dirty one I replaced with 10,000km on it. Maybe I'll leave the intake totally stock for now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts