Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finished up my MSF course today, did not realize how much I didn't know. it has been 40 years since I have owned or ridden a motorcycle. I used one of the class bikes, a 250 Yamaha Virago. bike was way to small for me and idled too low also. the drill I had the most trouble with was the figure 8 in the square painted on the parking lot. it was more intense than I anticipated with some of the drills. class consisted of 12 people, 1 woman and me being the oldest. first day of riding had one guy drop the bike twice and the woman was having lots of problems. both did not show up again and one guy didn't pass the riding drills and opted out of taking the written part. go tomorrow to get my license!

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Congrats. Don't forget to keep practicing what you learned in the course. I recommend taking the other courses as well.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Congrats! Always feels good to learn stuff.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Congrats!!
I had often wondered if it was possible to fail those courses. It was interesting to hear also, that a few people self-terminated. They were probably more embarrassed, than anything. I am sure with an hour or so of 1 on 1 training, they would be fine.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Congrats.

Check out "ride like a pro". DVD or class if available in your area. Instructors are ex motorcycle cops, all about low speed maneuvering.

Also get a copy of the book twist of the wrist 2 by. Keith Code. There is also a video on youtube by the same name about 1 1/2 hour long. This explains everything about how to corner, why the bike behaves the way it does etc..

We are never too old to learn!!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I took my MSF class back in 2003-4 I believe. It was offered as a college course at my local community college. It was the first time I had every been on a street bike, but I took to it like a fish to water since I grew up riding 4-wheelers, lawn mowers, tractors, etc. Everyone did really well I thought except for one really overweight guy who face planted when we were practicing circles in the parking lot. Luckily he was ok, but I hope he took it as a sign bikes were not for him. Still the only time I have ever drug pegs on anything! The lady kept saying faster, faster! I wore the pegs off that thing!!! Love those little Suzuki 250's.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
been riding 3&4 wheelers for the past 35 years and old habits are hard to break. I will probably take an advanced course once I get some more seat time. thanks for the congrats, now time to get out and ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
great job

I did my test last year and I really learned a lot. There is a refresher course coming up, and if the riding gods allow im going to go. The biggest benefit is on my insurance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts