Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bit the bullet this week and sent my ECU to Ivan to have it reflashed. The service was great. I sent it in on Monday morning and they got it on Wed morning. They may have had the ECU for an hour before I got a call saying it was ready and asking how I wanted it shipped back. I opted for 2 day delivery each way because it was going to be $80 for next day. The ECU was back today before lunch.

I also installed a roaring toys straight 8 air intake so I could get the most out of the tune. Installing that was easier than I planned and only took 45 min. The install on the ECU is so easy its not worth mentioning.

The only issue I ran into was after getting everything in and going. I started the bike exactly per Ivan's instructions. Afterward the bike kept a code 24, which has something to do with the speed sensor. I tried the startup procedure again and still had the code 24. I was getting a little worried, but as soon as I put the bike in gear and moved a foot it cleared and everything was back to normal.

I only had enough time for an hour test ride and put about 60 miles on the bike. It runs GREAT. Much more power and its smoother than before. Before my 6th gear was only usable on flat straight roads over 75MPH, anything slower or any hills and I had to stay pretty deep in the throttle to keep it at speed. Now it feels more like 5th. It doesn't have gobs of power in 6th but I can easily accelerate up hills that I was at 3/4 throttle just to keep from slowing down.

So far I'm very happy with the upgrades to the bike.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yeah....glad I did not wait to do mine. A brand new and much improved performing bike.

Your comment on OD/6th gear is spot on. Prior to Ivanization, I only used OD when RPM's something like 2400-2500....and if I had to pass someone etc., I would downshift to get some traction! Post-Ivan, I can use the cruise in OD down to 2000 RPM comfortably.......and just turn the throttle w/o downshifting if I need to pass/speed up. Gas mileage on the highway now always 40 to 43 MPG. I even got 40 riding two up a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I met another Ivanized Vulcan owner today. He was on a 2012 Vaquero. He swears by it as much as I do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a believer now.

I rode for another 50 or so miles after work today. After about 120 miles the MPG has gone from 32 to leveling out about 37.6. That's with an equal mix of town and highway riding. The 6th gear power is still what impresses me the most.

The exhaust seems a bit louder also, which is to be expected with the jump in power. Also, NO popping on decel. Mine wasn't as bad as some I've heard, but after the V&H slip on's it popped most every time I let off the throttle. Not a single pop now, and I was trying my best to make it pop.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't have after market pipes nor do I want to get some. Can I use the flash without after market pipes?
Also, I'm in Canada, where do I find info about this Ivan etc and how do I get in touch with him?
Thanks

·
Registered
580 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks very much for the info, I am gonna call on Monday. I see you're also from Alberta. I can't believe how many people I have seen on here from Alberta. We should have a Vulcan rally someday. :)
How do you like your ECU? From looking at his site I figure it would cost about $500 or $600 Canadian to get it done. Do you feel it was worth it? Have you had any negative side effects from it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks very much for the info, I am gonna call on Monday. I see you're also from Alberta. I can't believe how many people I have seen on here from Alberta. We should have a Vulcan rally someday. :)
How do you like your ECU? From looking at his site I figure it would cost about $500 or $600 Canadian to get it done. Do you feel it was worth it? Have you had any negative side effects from it?
I think its totally worth it. No negative effects for me, but I cant speak for the long term.

With all the fixes and tweaks that come with the tune, I think even on a stock bike it would be worth it. Everything I've read says these bikes are tuned way down from the factory for emission standards, etc. There's a lot of room for improvement. When you send your ECU in, there's a paper you print and fill out and give your info on the bike, mods etc. They use this to tune your ECU for whatever mods you have.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think its totally worth it. No negative effects for me, but I cant speak for the long term.

With all the fixes and tweaks that come with the tune, I think even on a stock bike it would be worth it. Everything I've read says these bikes are tuned way down from the factory for emission standards, etc. There's a lot of room for improvement. When you send your ECU in, there's a paper you print and fill out and give your info on the bike, mods etc. They use this to tune your ECU for whatever mods you have.
Well, I thank you for starting this post. I'm new to this site, heard a bit about Ivans "magic" but didn't pay too much attention cause I thought, who would want to supe up a tour bike. Since reading your post, I read other older posts and see there is a lot of benefit to it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I thank you for starting this post. I'm new to this site, heard a bit about Ivans "magic" but didn't pay too much attention cause I thought, who would want to supe up a tour bike. Since reading your post, I read other older posts and see there is a lot of benefit to it.

Thanks.
I think I supe up things just for the sake of suping them up now lol.

Every vehicle I have is far from stock, but I never drive them hard. I haven't even opened the throttle up all the way on my bike and I've had it going on 3 months now. I've had a supercharged mustang cobra for 4 years now and I cant remember the last time I went full throttle on it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am from Alberta as well and have been following the Ivaniz-nation crowd for a bit now. My new 2016 Vaquero has 2,000 km on it now and is running great. I do see room for responsiveness improvements and smoothing out. I just like the calm cruising, not interested in power/speed. One thing that I really like about this bike is the popping at deceleration. I think it sounds great. Would be sad to hear that go away.

I'll ride it out for this season and maybe do the ECU flash over the winter. Keep us posted on your experience please.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't have after market pipes nor do I want to get some. Can I use the flash without after market pipes?
Also, I'm in Canada, where do I find info about this Ivan etc and how do I get in touch with him?
Thanks
I know a few people here in Ontario with Voyagers and they sent their ECU via courier and all went well and all of them happy with the tune.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I installed O2 sensors and an autotune module from Dynojet long before Ivan's reflash came on the market and am very happy with it. Looking back, if the reflash had been available when I first got my bike I would have probably gone that route tho :smile2:

·
Registered
388 Posts
My Nomad was (and still is) bone stock when I got it Ivanized. Even keeping everything else stock, the reflash pays huge improvements and is extremely worth it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I installed O2 sensors and an autotune module from Dynojet long before Ivan's reflash came on the market and am very happy with it. Looking back, if the reflash had been available when I first got my bike I would have probably gone that route tho :smile2:
Sounds good, thank you.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts

My 2016 Voyager is bone stock other than Ivanization. You will not be disappointed if you pull the Ivan Trigger!
Looks I gotta save my pennies then. Everyone talks very positively about the "Ivanization"

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts