Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have literally looked in every page of the riding gear forum and read about helmets for a few days now...seriously spring... I need you.

Currently I have a Vega Summit II modular helmet that is about 6 years old now and is basically retired, its cheap and I don't much care for it. I have a Speed & Strength ss2200 that is more of an open face type with a removeable chin bar. I really like this helmet, at sub $200 its one hell of a bang for the buck. It fits pretty well as I have an intermediate oval head shape and the field of vision is unrivaled. It has a quick ratchet system and a drop down visor. Theres certainly times when you can tell its not a top tier helmet but I am well aware that you get what you pay for. My big gripe with it is that it is LOUD.

I had a top tier hand me down when I first started riding and had no need to wear earplugs, it was extremely quiet. So without spending $5-700 on a helmet, what experience do you lot have with quiet helmets? Currently I wear earplugs with my ss2200, they arent terrible and are the lower rated ones so I can hear more (bought them at Iron Pony) but I do not enjoy earplugs as I can't get over the disconnect from the bike. I have read all about earplugs so that's not what I am looking for. The fact that the Etymotics stick out would drive me absolutely insane as my helmet is pretty snug on and off. I suppose if nothing else I will throw down for custom made ones.

So bascially I've been looking at some of the helmets that I have seen deemed as quiet and look for real life experience with said helmets. I'd prefer a modular but dont think I'll find what I am looking for soundwise withough buying a Schuberth.

Shoei RF-1100 (as these are being replaced by the Qwest I know they wont be as quiet at the Qwest but was wondering how they stood on their own.)

Shoei Qwest

Scorpion EXO-1100

And just for the fun of it a few modulars:

Nolan N44 (really one of the few Nolans that seem to fit me since my head isn't round)

Bell Revolver Evo

That's really all I got at the moment, was looking at the HJC IS-MAX BT for the price point but thanks to the in depth reviews at Revzilla I see its meant for a rounder head. I will be going to Iron Pony to try anything on first, but I obviously can't really tell how loud the helmets are until I'm riding. So if anyone actually bothered to read all of this after entering another helmet topic then I appreciate it!:D

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
As a fellow semi round/egg shaped headed human we are hard to fit. For the money the modular HJC IS max works very well. I wear glasses so the modular platform is perfect for me. I have found that for a full non modular helmet to fit properly when on it feels like it is going to rip my ears off taking it off and on. The price point is in the range you are looking for and the air flow is not perfect but adequate for the price. I have been looking at the Shoei Neotec but like you $600 plus is quite a leap.

Oh I forgot, it is also fairly quiet, but I can still here the stereo on the voyager.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Have you checked out Webbikeworld?

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

That link has them sorted by head shape; you can sort them by weight also.
They rate sound levels, ventilation, visibility and have info on price as well as owner feedback.

I bought my Vemar Storm sight unseen and I am quite happy.

Anyway, Webbikeworld is a great resource for helmet info.

Scott

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you checked out Webbikeworld?

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

That link has them sorted by head shape; you can sort them by weight also.
They rate sound levels, ventilation, visibility and have info on price as well as owner feedback.

I bought my Vemar Storm sight unseen and I am quite happy.

Anyway, Webbikeworld is a great resource for helmet info.

Scott
Yessir, it has actually been open in my browser for a few days with Revzilla as a cross reference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a Shoei RF 1100 in Scotland and a Shoei Qwest in Texas. I think the qwest feels slightly quieter but I don't think there is a lot in it. It feels lighter and with a better field of vision. I like em both. I'm a Shoei kinda guy though.

Cheers Larry.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well I was going to suggest revzilla. Glad you're already hooked up. When I was helmet shopping, the video reviews on revzilla said that the shoei rf 1100 is more of a sport bike, leaned forward geared helmet.

They said the shoei qwest was more the cruiser speed.

I bit the bullet and ended up with an arai rx-q. Sound and ventilation are amazing in the helmet, and it's very safe for your dome.

That being said, they mentioned on revzilla, shoei qwest and rf 1100 are just the next step down. Not quite as good ventilation.

Looking back on it, I find myself sometimes wishing I would've snagged a really nice modular instead of full face. Although you sacrifice some safety.

Just remember, you only get one head. One chance to do this right! :) good luck in the search. Let us know what you end up deciding on.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts