Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the stealership the other day and a guy was getting ready to test ride a bike. He fired it up and it sounded nice. A tad loud for my taste, but nice & deep. He said "Not bad for a 750, huh?". It was a Honda Shadow with Cobra longs (I'm assuming w/o baffles). I was impressed.

Now I want new pipes for my 9. My question: Will the Cobra longs still sound that deep with baffles in? Also, are there any other pipes that will get as good or better a tone? Gotta be honest, sound is my main concern here, as I figure any aftermarket pipes will get better (or at least as good) performance than the stockers. I want deep and somewhat louder than stock, but not "Can't they hear how cool I am?? Blublublub" loud.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I was at the stealership the other day and a guy was getting ready to test ride a bike. He fired it up and it sounded nice. A tad loud for my taste, but nice & deep. He said "Not bad for a 750, huh?". It was a Honda Shadow with Cobra longs (I'm assuming w/o baffles). I was impressed.

Now I want new pipes for my 9. My question: Will the Cobra longs still sound that deep with baffles in? Also, are there any other pipes that will get as good or better a tone? Gotta be honest, sound is my main concern here, as I figure any aftermarket pipes will get better (or at least as good) performance than the stockers. I want deep and somewhat louder than stock, but not "Can't they hear how cool I am?? Blublublub" loud.
Don't count on the same make & model pipes sounding the same on your bike as they did on that Honda Shadow. I installed Cobra Classics on a Shadow ACE 400 (yes, they do exist only not in America) and they were great. Not harsh and had a great rumble. I ordered the same pipes for my VTX1800C and to my chagrin they were loud & raspy sounding. Totally different. I eventually modified the existing baffles to quiet them down. I have Cobra Speedster Swepts on my 900 Custom and they are louder than my VTX. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Don't forget the "exhaust clips" section...youtube also has an extensive library. It gives you a "sense" of the different pipes. The cobra longs sound good on the nine....a deep burble at idle and a nice growl at wot. A guy I know has them and I can personally say they sound great. I don't know if they are baffled or not, but, they are not excessively loud.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
There is a video of my 9 with cobra longs in the exhaust thread...

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys. I forgot about the exhaust thread.

There is a video of my 9 with cobra longs in the exhaust thread...
Do those have the baffles in? It's hard to get a sense of volume in video clips.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
New Cobras come with the standard baffles (right) or you can get quiet core baffles (left) for them. Of course, you can also rip everything out and go with no baffles or get the SmartPartz baffles. I have the Slashdowns and they are pretty loud with the standard baffles. I tried out the quiet baffles and didn't like them but today I figured I would give them another chance. I just put them in so we'll see how that turns out.

I know you're looking at the Longs, but I have a video in the Exhaust Clips thread that compares the stockers and Slashdowns if you're interested. Like you said, it's hard to judge volume from a youtube clip but I tried to keep everything the same (same camera, same person filming, standing in the same location, etc) for a good comparison. Skip to 3:55 in my video if you just want the comparison. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have Cobra slashdowns on my 9 , my wife liked them so i put a pair on her honda shadow 600 VLX. Trust me , they are MUCH louder on the 9. But they sound great.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I just put them in so we'll see how that turns out.

Graybush,

Do the stock baffles in the slashdown just pull out? Im guessing the only thing that holds them in is the allen bolt right? Thanks

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Yep, that's all there is to it. Remove the tips (1 allen bolt each) then 1 per baffle and slide them out. It does take a little patience to get them back in since you have to line them up just right but it's still a quick job.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just installed cobra longs on my 9 with standard and smartpartz baffles paired together and I love the tone. sounds better and imo slightly louder than stock with full debaffle.

·
Registered
156 Posts

O.K. so I got a set of RoadBurner street pros with baffles just like the one on the right. whats the trick to getting that sucker out? after removing the allen bolt, the bugger still wont budge. i want these things out!! lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
O.K. so I got a set of RoadBurner street pros with baffles just like the one on the right. whats the trick to getting that sucker out? after removing the allen bolt, the bugger still wont budge. i want these things out!! lol
I actually used and old, long, bent (inverted) screwdriver and some wd-40. One pipe was fussier than the other but, easy enough once she breaks free.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Just to follow up, I've left the quiet core baffles in. They quiet the pipes down a good bit. I can now ride without earplugs and not have my ears ringing when I get done. I took a three hour ride with one of my Harley buddies a while back and didn't have any problems even without earplugs. The main reason I've left the quiet baffles in is because even without a fuel processor, the bike seems to run better. The popping has been cut significantly and I don't smell gas all the time. I can't tell a difference performance wise, it will still accelerate quickly but I like not smelling like a gas tank all the time.

I'll have to take a video comparing the standard and quiet core baffles. I don't know if anyone will be able to tell a difference via youtube but I certainly can in person.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts