Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well you may know that I got Snowed out of my annual pilgrimage to NC blue ridge Tree Hugger run.. ratts.
Butt, always have a back up plan to Jink when old man weather throws you a curve ball. BAM! screw those climate changers. I'll just go West this year..

So what do you know its been 60s ever mornin for weeks on end and the one day I wanna bust outa here erly, its a friggin 39f at 6am. wtf! Ima gonna shute algore if ever he gets within range.
Sittin on El Sol to take the frost off the sled, Barb is on tap this run. That be my new big chief *****. my bro said it was a Big Red Bike. BRB kinda sounds like Barb. so we will go with that till I can come up with summin more spiffy, no?

10am I hit the dusty as temps are hoverin just shy of 50f. I got lots of miles to pack in 2day and am way behind the curve already. I-10 west is monotonous. I ride 600 miles to El Paso and its dark thirty already, time to put her up and get hotel. 12 hours in the saddle and I am still in Texas,, sheesh! do you know its 900 miles from Beaumont Tx to El Paso? East/West border to border. Considerin the globe is only 25k circumference. Texas comprimises almost a whole Time Zone by itself,, pert near. This is what its like when yor spending too much time in the saddle riding in less than mountain terrain. you have to think about things that dont really matter a whole lot of beans to anybody.

Ok, day Uno done. We need a plan for Dos.
Here I am in ol EP and got things on my mind and places to be. First is that my lady friend has been bugging me for about 2 years that we would visit her mom in EP and I could put in a new toilet for her. Yes, my life has been reduced to mere maintenance in the realm of fambly life.
So, first we meet at McDs for a quik bkfst and then we go next door to Home Depot and pick out a nice new one piece porcelain pooper. I load it in her car and follow mrs Mom to her house as I have never been here b4. Having arrived, I commence to unbutton and remove said older commode and haul it to the curb where some thrifty thief can abscound this still usable appliance.
Upon hauling the new unit into the house I discover a crack at the floor mount, so its Reload and back to HD for a more intact unit. But of course when we get there the self serve area is out of this model and we spend hours waiting for somebody to get off their duff and get a pallet of new ones out of warehouse... I need this job done, so I can get back on the road.. nobody seems to care.. With the exchange done, we're back to the house and the new unit slips in just like the old one came out.. Dang if I didnt already have a good paying job, this mite be a fine way to make a few bux when I retire? cash n carry.. or just the cash.

Dos, that is 2 for those of you unfamiliar in Spanglish and ponchospeak. We get the job done by noon and its time for me to Vomanos! hit it. bust loose. cetera. I am headed into Nooha Mehico! thats my day dos plan. Well considerin the late start (agin!) and the fackt that I hit rain erly, I checked into hotel at what 4pm, Silver City NM. I am on vacation and dont have to ride in crap weather, less I choose to. so thats as far as 2 days have got me 900 miles.
oh yeah, while Im here doin nuthin. I sashay over to Wally world and change the erl n philter. 5qts of mobil 1 syn 10/40 mc race oil.. J'es, it is jaso.

here are some pix to verify that this all did go down as documented. 1 more happy customer? Well dang, I knewd had more pix of this episode,, musta deleted them when doin fone maintenance. ratts. More details manana. ponchout

ps. these here pix of hardleys is cuz some them are actually nice fellas and let me park by them. though one the older guys did threaten to call the hardley police cuz I was using my old hardley lift out bags inside my ***** saddle bags.
I told him that I didnt even kno they had hardley police, butt bring it on cuz am packing heat. there be a shoot out at the old town tonite! hey it is the wild west.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1,345 Posts
That's an awful pretty crapper....and that bike is okay looking too! JK Lol

· wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Lucky Larry gets rich with this million dollar idea

That's an awful pretty crapper....and that bike is okay looking too! JK Lol
ziggers, was thinking of kustomizing it. Lowered, skulls n flames paint, krome handle, fuzzy dice lid cover, and top it off with a hardley logo seat, the one with the Squakin Chiken.. er skreemin eagle.. Ever wonder why it's skreemin? poncho

Attachments

· Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Why it's screaming? Sticker shock...cost of repairs, upgrades and accessories.
I think El Paso, close to spicy Mexican food, skulls with flames coming out the eyes and mouth. What do you think? Or take a new road, paint a skeletal pelvic bone set with flames coming out of that!

· wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tres

3rd times a charm? erly morning temps are hoverin low 40s. butt Suns up and no excuses, got to hit the road and put in some miles if ever gonna get to Zion NP this week. Oh, I didnt tell you that was the plan? yeah, ride 3-4 days, hike 1-2 days, ride 3 back to the ranch. Well like all plans and war, its all good till the shooting starts. So milking this vaca attitude, I hold up till 9am so the Sun can burn off some mornin frost.

I head North hiway 180 out of Silver City and run the west side of the Gila Mtns NF. I hafta say, that having never been here b4, thinking all of NM is ugly desert, This place Kiks Azz! Who'da ever thot there was water and trees in these 6k+ mtns? This is an awesome ride full of twist and turns and scenery to occupy yor brain cells from calculating how much volume of vulcanic toxic fumes it would take to rid planet earth of parasitic libs on the east and left coast? I mean to tell you this place rocks.. yes, its got plenty rocks!

basically 180 north cuts accross west NM and into AZ where the topology changes, not immediately but soon enuff. back to desert. I push on N x W, avoiding I40 and the crowd. I work some back roads thru Navajo territory, yesterday NM was Apache and I think this part of AZ is Hopi land. By nightfall I wheel into the only hotel I can find in Tuba City, an upscale joint at 2wice the price. but hey, its dark and Im dun for the day. poncho

btw, it never got above 55f this day and I was cold to the bones unner 6 layers of leather n cotton. my hands were so cold that when I took them out the gloves they started to itch as soon as fresh air hit em. I scratched at em till they bled, it was that bad. fella at the hotel told me to run em unner warm water as they were more to froze than dried out. it worked settled them. now I spent the rest of the week puttin lotion and lettin em heal. dang that was crazy!

Attachments

· Registered
560 Posts
It's time to move south!

WAS, 71 deg yesterday, got to ride jus shy of 100 miles, here are this evenings pictures...Typical NEBRASKA weather....

Poncho, if you EVER get ahold of Alz gore, please just hold on to him for the short time it would take me to get there!!!!

An inch of snow, so far and temps in the low teens for the next few days..... Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the damn wind.... the wind chills are getn nasty...

Glad you had a great trip to Zion!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW, I know why them ****** cost so dang much, cause of the price of the porcelain porta john your towing with ya!!!! hahahahahahahhahaaaa!

Well hell, ya might as well be in total comfort while your cruising, JOHN WAYNE sand paper or not, your ridin in style! Glad to hear you had a good trip there and back home!!!!!!!!!

Take care, Co0ter!

p.s. Do what you can with your political influence to send some UV'S this way, it would be much appreciated.....

Attachments

· wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
coots,, from yor pix it appears the sun dont shine no mor? thats not a whiteout, itsa blackout. you bes move on down south for the winter.

dinkydog,, well yor research in all things that s'matter finally paid off? totobike, eh? looks like an erly hardley ableson unit.

Attachments

· wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forte'

another erly morn of sub standard temps (40f) keeps me from gettin a jump on the day. weather channel says it mite get to 65f today. whoohoo heatwave? I pack up and head out. nothin in Tuba city worth goin back here for.

Today we cross ride thru the Gran Kanyun and hopefully make it to Zion. hiway 89a brings you down into the canyon below lake Powell Dam. its an interesting ride and there is a foot bridge across the colorado river for takin pix.
climbing out the canyon on the North side put you into some gorgeous pine forest. The north side the canyon is totally diff from the ugly south side.. kinda reminds me of chicago? Anyway the smell of recent fire still lingers as there is signs of arson in the canopy. later on the return trip I will see the real damage done.

mid-late afternoon I enter the park. Zion, was here 25 years ago and vowed to come back. its is over the top, in yor face, kinda imagery. you experience this canyon from the bottom up, close and personal. pix dont begin to do it justice.

I spend the afternoon exploring the canyon to get a sense of what I want to do tomorrow. So as the shadows fill this place up and it gets cold fast, I head out the park to Hurricane, Ut and get hotel for the nite. tommorow we do this place on foot. poncho

Attachments

· Registered
79 Posts
Hit El Paso and didn't even stop to say hello? How rude! Stay safe out there. I'll be riding in the Northeast El Paso Veterans parade this morning flags flying high.

· wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hit El Paso and didn't even stop to say hello? How rude! Stay safe out there. I'll be riding in the Northeast El Paso Veterans parade this morning flags flying high.
jb,, did stop and did say hell.. well just to mrs Mom as I was doin honeydoos. when travelin its imperative to keep movin or you dont get where yor goin when you need to be ther so as to get turned around and be back where you hafta be on time. sheesh. and goin west was las min decision as it was snowin east in NC so that trip got shot down.

butt comin back thru EP this past saturday mornin.. holy shamoly! the xwind was terrible. westside EP it was all I could do to stay in the lane. I-10 east was like this all the way to Junction Tx. 8 hours of fighting to keep tween the lines.

today, Vday, we got kkkold front moved in last nite. how is temp, winds in EP for the parade?

Thanks for your service. poncho

· Registered
79 Posts
Yeah it's been crazy weather lately...today was BEAUTIFUL weather for the parade. Shook hands with Congressman Beto O'Rourke. I'd have to say he's a pretty legit guy...does a lot for the community. I live on the west side of EP...wind can definitely get pretty bad coming off the mountains (it's real fun going through Transmountain)

· wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
where Angels go to smoke krak...

Cinco de Mayo? no its just day 5 of this whacky westward wandering..
so the morning greets me with more subtemps, but thats ok cuz the ride is short to the park and the cold air will be good with all the bike gear am wearing and foot work I want to do in them back canyons.

First order of business is to ride all the way into the canyon as far as the park road will permit. Work the puzzle backwards. Go to where there shouldnt be any peoples and you have the place to yorself.?(famous last sayings). So that means we start with the NARROWS. as you can see it has warmed impressivley to 44f by 10am.. I can work with this.?
this starts off with a simple paved path that eventually peters out where you are forced to get wet. the rest of this hike involves forging thru 33f water any where from ankle to hip deep. Well considering that Im not wearing waterproof hiking gear and am riding a bike in 40 weather, I reconsider that this was the best choice to do this park at this time.. so take a lot pix while yor here.. next time I will bring the rite gear.

so back to wandering the park, Already this place is filling up with pesky tourist. wtf, where'd all these peeps come from? The Weeping Wall east canyon hike is already choked full of cars and cant even park a bike here.
so I mosey down to the Grotto and nuzzle up behind a suv, the only open realestate..

There are multiple trail heads that present themselves from this launch point. Angel point is one.. what the hell, am here, rode all this way, lets chek this out.. I hike about a third of this as my vertigo issue is messing with my brain at every time I emerge out of the foilage.. yep thats more than I can do today on this.. I swear from all the view am seeing and the warnings posted, folks and there are a lott of em, that do this must be rock sheep.. I can (hardley) walk let alone climb when these visuals present sheer drops not just hunerd feets but thousand plus.. Krak, them Angels all smoke it up there..

So having had my fill of vertical ascent, I finish off the afternoon with a more amiable (= less vertical) hike over to the emerald pools where I can take pix of descending water falls into these pools under a canopy of Sun lit Yellow and Fire Red Aspens. It is just still bear'ly fall foilage in these canyons. what luck. more pix later. poncho

Attachments

· wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Park Pix

mor pix in the park. 2many 2post. poncho

Attachments

· Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Great pictures Ponch! All that talk about cool mornings, now it's cold here. You brought this cold weather back, didn't you?

· wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
itt wwaas kkkold bbbutt vverry pprretty

Great pictures Ponch! All that talk about cool mornings, now it's cold here. You brought this cold weather back, didn't you?
well I did carve out half day at North Rim of Gran Kanyun.. I mean it was like rite there. how could I not stop an take some pix? apparently it had snowed here a few days b4. it was 35f riding into this joint according to my dash temp gage. Ida dont think I was riding very fas nuff to cause any drag this foul weather this far south? but somebody is gotta get thro'd unner the bus for this, eh?

Attachments

· Registered
2,221 Posts
Great pics Ponch!

Scott

· Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Question, once you were ul there around Zion and the GC, did you see many other riders?

· wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Question, once you were ul there around Zion and the GC, did you see many other riders?
No. none in Utah or Az. I was the freak anomaly among bus loads of European and Korean tourist. Very friendly folks, just a bit surprised curious to meet a bike rider in this season weather.
Further south, nooha mehico and tejas very few were riding. Butt generally the temps was keepin the ones with weak constitution indoors or in cars. poncho

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.