Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble finding anyone willing mount a car tire on my wheel. They all say it's a liabilty issue. Does anybody know of someone in the middle Georgia area that is willing to do this? I can probably do it myself, but have no way to balance it. Plus my equipment is turn of the century stuff, and dont wanna scratch up my wheel. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm having trouble finding anyone willing mount a car tire on my wheel. They all say it's a liabilty issue. Does anybody know of someone in the middle Georgia area that is willing to do this? I can probably do it myself, but have no way to balance it. Plus my equipment is turn of the century stuff, and dont wanna scratch up my wheel. Any suggestions?
What i had to do was jump on google maps or phone book and just call around till you find someone who does. But if you can find one who sells used tires and looks kinda shady they might lol. thats where I ended up.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a list of installers by state. Maybe, there's on near you.
http://darkside.nwff.info/?p=installersList

That website has some pretty good darkside info.

Scott
Thanks. I've been to this site. Not any mc sites in my area. I think I'm gonna go it on my own. I'm a mechanic by trade. Been wrenchin on cars for 30 years. Just not on bikes and haven't broken down tires in 28 Years. Big pucker when workin on your own stuff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry guys, here in Eastern NC some local guys put the triple tread Good Year on my bike. I am very happy with it and have a picture...2700 miles on it and it still looks brand new. My wife love it and says the ride is much better than with either the Dunlop Battleaxe nor the Metzler(s)... still have a Dunlop on the front. I had the concern of passing vehicle inspection, but everyone I have been to has no problem inspecting it, but all remark of how bad an idea it is. ONLY negative I have to say is on imperfect pavement the "tire riding the groove" effect is worse, but knowing that I just let my hips sway with it, and it is worth if for the trade off of all round better tire.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you buy dynamic beads retail? Or do you have to buy them online? I was gonna go to the local mc dealers here but haven't had time. I'm just too damn busy!!!:D

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Everyone warns of the danger of riding darkside, but has anyone heard of anything bad coming of it? I'm not saying it hasn't, just that if it has I haven't heard of it. Seems to me the boards will scrape well before just about any tire (within reason) is going to lose traction.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Everyone warns of the danger of riding darkside, but has anyone heard of anything bad coming of it? I'm not saying it hasn't, just that if it has I haven't heard of it. Seems to me the boards will scrape well before just about any tire (within reason) is going to lose traction.
I have seen BMW Sport touring bikes, higher standing, much harder lean angle, ride on the dark side on the "tail of the Dragon" No problem, so no i have asked this same question on many other forums and no one has ever heard of any accidents or issues with darksiding. As well dont you think that if there was just one incident the media and Motorcycle association would eat it up and make a huge deal about it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Was talking to a friend at wrk this morning. He rides ultra classic. He told me he got new tires put on Thursday (motorcycle tire). Left sat. Headed to Austin, got about 75 miles into the trip and blew out the New rear tire. Did keep the bike upright. But goes to show you anything can happen at any time..

·
Registered
101 Posts
What i had to do was jump on google maps or phone book and just call around till you find someone who does. But if you can find one who sells used tires and looks kinda shady they might lol. thats where I ended up.
Toaster...where did you have yours done? I will need a new back tire within the next few months.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Toaster...where did you have yours done? I will need a new back tire within the next few months.
I just moved to Cary about 3 months ago i used to love in greenville. I had it put on at couple different places, Carolina Tire will do it for sure. i have not started looking out here yet but i will problably in the next month or so it will be time for a new tire. I plan on just calling around mainly to mom and pop type places.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just moved to Cary about 3 months ago i used to love in greenville. I had it put on at couple different places, Carolina Tire will do it for sure. i have not started looking out here yet but i will problably in the next month or so it will be time for a new tire. I plan on just calling around mainly to mom and pop type places.
I called Team Powersports in Garner this afternoon and they said that they can do it as long as you bring the CT.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got my tire installed today. Don't wanna do that again!!!!!!! Man what a job! Also installed national cycle driving liters. Left one lasted about 5 minutes and blew. Got bar from cruiser customizing. Gonna send them an email and see what happens. I've been plenty satisfied with them so far. Also installed mustang tank bib. Been a busy weekend and I'm pooped!!!!! Thanks everybody for your input. Pics when I get back on pc. iPad don't have pics on it yet.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I have seen BMW Sport touring bikes, higher standing, much harder lean angle, ride on the dark side on the "tail of the Dragon" No problem, so no i have asked this same question on many other forums and no one has ever heard of any accidents or issues with darksiding. As well dont you think that if there was just one incident the media and Motorcycle association would eat it up and make a huge deal about it.
I dunno...if something like this happens it's probably not spectacular enough to make headlines these days. You'd think maybe someone on a forum would report it, if it happened. That said, after touting darkside as the best thing since rubber tires were invented, how many might be willing to speak right up for a big serving of crow?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Question?? Motorcycle tires have valve stem marks, so with car tire just mount and balance? New to darkside. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
186 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts