Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week I had done several things to the Nomad,wrapped pipes, changed plugs and coolant and with the high today only in the mid 70's It looked like a good opportunity to do a good shake down run on some of my favorite twisty's. All went well until about 7 miles from home on one of those old twisty country roads that urban sprawl has overtaken,you no the type, where a long straight stretch is 100 yards long and there is little if any shoulder. I came up behind a car that was going a little slower than I was so I backed of a little, then a small suv comes up behind me leaving only about a car length between us so I backed off from the car in front of me some more just in case and it was a good thing I did. About 2 miles into this three some traveling group we came around a curve to see about 8 men in white suits working on both sides and in the road. We were only going about 25-30 miles per hour so I think no big deal until I hear the sound no one on to wheels wants to hear that is 2 front tires of a cage sliding on asphalt right behind you. Lucky for me I had added the extra following distance for this fool and had already down shifted all I had to do was let off the brake hammer the gas then hammer the brake again while hollering an expletive that the road gang thought was meant for them from the looks I got. About 1 1/2 miles further the road ended at a stop sign I never turned and looked at them or hand gestured to them or anything but I did roll the bike backward about 3 ft toward them. When I went out of sight they were still sitting at the stop sign. Looking back on it this would have been a good time to stop and explain to the driver the need for proper following distance but at the time I was not in the mood.

·
Registered
492 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply's guys, I use the Nomad mostly for commuting so a ride just for the fun of it is rare for me. By the way Rick you have been on this road, it was the first twisty road we hit when y'all came to Birmingham for a ride and meet early this summer.

I am going to get a bit long winded here so no apologies if you keep reading.

The company I have worked for the past 3 1/2 plus decades trains and retrains us yearly on safe and defensive driving. Have you ever done a slalom course in a 30,000 lb GVW truck? Some of the stuff is technical due to the weight of the vehicles driven by myself and many others, but most of it is every day walking around common sense. Safe following distance is one of those. I have noticed that even other wise good drivers do not comprehend that this is one of the major causes of mv accidents. Right on the heels of Texting and drunk driving. Okay my BW and daughter say it is time to go to supper I will finish this rant later. Ride safe.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Great situational awareness! Awesome job!

Following distances are always a pet peeve of mine, only because it's SO EASY. You aren't going any faster doing 35 4 car lengths behind or doing 35 4 feet behind. If you need to pass, you can still pass. There's just no good reason to follow close and it's so dang easy not to. Totally senseless! But then most folks just don't realize that they have NO TIME to react or stop. They are so used to droning along and nothing happening, but wait until it does!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Good move and good self control TS. Thanks for posting. We all need to be periodically reminded how much concentration (awareness) is required when riding a MC. My slogan is "drive (ride) to survive".

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exactly Romans5.8," there is just no reason to follow close and it's so dang easy not to." The problem is most of the people that do it do not even realize what they are doing or how much risk of an accident it puts them in.

Here is a real world example of some one who did not even realize they were tail gating.
Last summer in a large truck like described above pulling what we at work not so affectionately call a horse trailer( it is a controlled work environment Trailer 8' tall,8' wide counting the wheel wells, and over 20' long) on a rural state Hwy. I notice a car tucked in so tight to the back of the trailer I can not see the driver. The Hwy. we are on is good and straight but a little bit of a roller coaster but not bad it is a mile to a mile and a half between hill tops with plenty of passing room and absolutely no on coming traffic . So the next down grade I slow down a little to give them plenty of room to pass. The car stays tucked in right where it was. The next down grade same thing except I get down to almost 20 mph below posted. Same result the car if anything is even closer. They literally could have stood on the hood of the car and opened the back door of the trailer I was pulling. By now I am a little pissed to say the least having to pull 2 grades without having a run on them so at the next down grade I am already a good 10 mph below posted speed and start slowing down, nothing, so just before the bottom of the grade at about 5 mph I start easing onto the shoulder of the road and the car comes right in with me. At this point I stop get out and go back to confront this jackass. What I find is a woman, late fifties early sixties, she rolls here window down and I ask her in a calm tone, mam, is there a problem,she says " I don't know I couldn't see." In as calm a tone as I could muster I told here the reason I stopped was that she was following me way to close and that it was very unsafe for us both for here to do that. She had that glazed I do not understand look in her eyes so I just asked her to please go around. As she passed by I noticed a local county tag on the car so I imagine a few times a month when some hapless person like me finds themselves on her special peace of hwy they get the same treatment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts