Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to go CT on the rear of my Vaquero do to the fact that I change my own tires and don't care to do it for a very long time again. No offense but I don't need any negative post telling me why I shouldn't, I've already read all those!

Now the one question that I have for the guys that went dark side is did you go with a directional tire or does it matter and what air pressure seems to work well? I think I'm with a 195/65/16, it seems to be the most common tire for doing this. Any input or need to know from the dark side would be great, THANKS!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm leaning towards the DS also. The bikers I've talked to recommend the Altimax HP by general tire. Directional, has rounded corners and a decent tread pattern. I will be going with a 195/55/16. Good luck.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm leaning towards the DS also. The bikers I've talked to recommend the Altimax HP by general tire. Directional, has rounded corners and a decent tread pattern. I will be going with a 195/55/16. Good luck.
LOL I guess I met to say 55 not 65 thanks for the correction. I found it on tirerack.com for $88 plus $18 ship but I can have it tomorrow or the next day for sure. Well worth it if you figure how much your saving over the following yrs.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I'm about to go CT on the rear of my Vaquero do to the fact that I change my own tires and don't care to do it for a very long time again. No offense but I don't need any negative post telling me why I shouldn't, I've already read all those!

Now the one question that I have for the guys that went dark side is did you go with a directional tire or does it matter and what air pressure seems to work well? I think I'm with a 195/65/16, it seems to be the most common tire for doing this. Any input or need to know from the dark side would be great, THANKS!
I use the unloop tire. (195/60/16)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=SP+Sport+5000+Symmetrical&partnum=96HR65000
It's getting close to 2 years old now and still looks new. I don't know if it's directional or not. After trying various psi, I ended up with 38.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah Dave I looked up your tire and I don't think its directional and it's also like about 50 some dollars more. I'm gonna go with what foater suggested, about $99 shipped to the front door. My local dealer said they'll balance it for me, but they wouldn't install it. I knew that but it doesn't hurt to ask. lol!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As of yesterday I have officially jointed the dark side! At first I had 34psi and took it for a ride and was really weird on the corners and curves. I went back and brought it up to about 36/37psi and it felt a lot better. I and the wife went on a 150 mile ride today and the only time I could tel the difference is when I hit the throttle hard around curves. I had my brother behind me and he said when your by yourself you use about 1/2 the tire, when riding 2up you use about 3/4 of the tire when curving and she's a 120lbs. I'm glad I went dark side and I'm glad I won't have to change another tire on the back this bike for a long long time. By the way I did go with the Altimax HP 195/55/16!

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
That's GREAT! I still have some cookies left.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Dave, I was waiting for that! lol!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Diehard, I have yet to go darkside, waiting to wear down my rear tire first, but did the size of the 195-55/16 lower the bike much? Tire looks good on your vaquero.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Diehard, do you know how the tire affected your speedo?
I went by one those road side digital speed readers and it was showing spot on but it could have been reading the car behind me. If I get out today I'm taking the GPS and I know thats spot on. I'll get back with you on that!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Diehard, I have yet to go darkside, waiting to wear down my rear tire first, but did the size of the 195-55/16 lower the bike much? Tire looks good on your vaquero.
I couldn't tel any difference in the height! If your doing it yourself I'll give you a couple of pointers. 1st..get someone to help you, the extra two hands helps a lot. 2nd..Trying to keep the spacers and the caliper bracket in place at the same time while your putting it back together is a pain, I zip tied the caliper bracket in place cause it kept falling out on us. 3rd...The car tire is a lot stiffer and is a pain in the @$$ to put on the rim so use a lot of lubricant pray. But in the end, you'll save a lot of money and won't have to worry about your rear tire for many many miles. Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts

I am also thinking about the Dark Side, keep posting updates on the tire you chose. I also have Vaquero 2011 and right now running Michelin Commander II's front and back. If the Altimax works out I may take the Dark Side ride as well.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am also thinking about the Dark Side, keep posting updates on the tire you chose. I also have Vaquero 2011 and right now running Michelin Commander II's front and back. If the Altimax works out I may take the Dark Side ride as well.
Altimax HP doesn't offer 195/65/16, that's why I had to go with the 55. I turned a buddy from AR onto the dark side and he has a 2011 Vaquero. He went with the Atrimax 205/65/16 with 36psi, he said it didn't leave as much room. (imagine that) lol! He has 4000 mile on it and said it still looks brand new, he said he can scrape the floorboards and loving it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Altimax HP doesn't offer 195/65/16, that's why I had to go with the 55. I turned a buddy from AR onto the dark side and he has a 2011 Vaquero. He went with the Atrimax 205/65/16 with 36psi, he said it didn't leave as much room. (imagine that) lol! He has 4000 mile on it and said it still looks brand new, he said he can scrape the floorboards and loving it.
I also do all my own removal and installs but not mounting. I am looking for a place that will mount and balance a CT for me if I go in that direction. The 195/55 16 is what I would also run. Rear Commander is 180/65 16.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
I went by one those road side digital speed readers and it was showing spot on but it could have been reading the car behind me. If I get out today I'm taking the GPS and I know thats spot on. I'll get back with you on that!
I just found a tire size calculator. It says the 195-55-16 is -3% in diameter and circumference, compared to the Michelin Commander II 180-65-16. It's -3.6% compared to the stock size of 170-70-16.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=180-65r16-195-55r16

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just found a tire size calculator. It says the 195-55-16 is -3% in diameter and circumference, compared to the Michelin Commander II 180-65-16. It's -3.6% compared to the stock size of 170-70-16.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=180-65r16-195-55r16
Yeah but it makes me think how far is the stock M/T off and here's why. I filled the bike yesterday and went riding 65mph all day 2up on the C/T. This morning I took the GPS with and it was spot on at 40,60,70mph. I stopped for fuel cause my low fuel light just came on at 175 miles and I pumped 4 gal. and I calculated it on my phone and it came out to 43.7 and on my bike for the average MPG read 43.6. So if the M/T was off than I would think that would off set all the readings on the bike there for no one could get a accurate reading for MPG. I'm starting to not make sense to myself let alone anyone else. lol!

Anyways...I'm really loving this M/T, the more I ride on it is the less I notice it and the more I'm getting back to my style of riding. I'm very happy with my choice to join the forces of the Dark Side. lol!

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I am going soon also

Rod,
That is the tire I also bought after My 5th rear tire that is ready to change. I went with 205/65/16 that is not mounted yet. Not sure I want to tackle it, but, will if I have to. How long did take you from start to finish excluding balance at the shop? I have used dyna beads and figured that was what i would do with the altimax. Glad to hear you are happy with darkside. You are planning on July 20 in Streator still I hope.
May the force be with you.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rod,
That is the tire I also bought after My 5th rear tire that is ready to change. I went with 205/65/16 that is not mounted yet. Not sure I want to tackle it, but, will if I have to. How long did take you from start to finish excluding balance at the shop? I have used dyna beads and figured that was what i would do with the altimax. Glad to hear you are happy with darkside. You are planning on July 20 in Streator still I hope.
May the force be with you.
Hey Mike,
We had to do a lot of stupid running, but if you have everything you need on site...maybe 2 hours. And yes I'm still planning on getting together for that run, was about to get a hold of you to make sure your still going. Are you changing the tire out before the run?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts