Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife has a 2009 VN2000 LT. It has the original battery in it. So it is safe to say we got our moneys worth! What is the battery people here are buying for the 2000? Don't believe we need lithium but a good battery with lots of CC would be great. Thanks!

·
BOTM Winner, October 2016
537 Posts
Hate to say it, but lithium has lasted the longest for me. I did suffer from a bad lower regulator/rectifier that ate up a glass gel. My wrench gave me his discount at Advanced Auto, and then they gave me a military discount on top. So I got pretty lucky. Honestly the battery cranks hard every time and it has an LED meter built in.
http://m.advanceautoparts.com/h5/r/shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-lithium-power-sport-battery-lfp-4/10570098-P?vehicleID=364386&vehicleSaved=true

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery

Hate to say it, but lithium has lasted the longest for me. I did suffer from a bad lower regulator/rectifier that ate up a glass gel. My wrench gave me his discount at Advanced Auto, and then they gave me a military discount on top. So I got pretty lucky. Honestly the battery cranks hard every time and it has an LED meter built in.
Buy AutoCraft Lithium Power Sport Battery LFP-4 at Advance Auto Parts

I checked it out. When I enter the info for the bike it says the LFP-4 does not fit the VN2000. Looks like a great battery!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going out on a limb here but.

Do a bike by year. Mine is a 2006 VN2000 A

Have a advanced auto parts store about six block from here. Checked out the battery you have pictured. Very small and very light. I also got 40% off. $104.00..My wife has been complaining about the space in the place the battery goes. This should take care of that! Thanks for your help. Not sure how long it will last but here is the promo code for 40% off. Have register as a perks member, and it take 40% off anything over $100. CODE: TRT41

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Lithium is just the way to go.

All the others (AGM, sealed, glas mat, whatever you want to call them) are STILL lead acid batteries; which suffer from the same fatal flaws. Namely, that they break down and corrode over time. Lithium batteries don't last forever (no batter does; not yet!), but they significantly outlast lead acid batteries and don't have the same problems with phantom discharge (If there's a load, they will certainly discharge however!), or storage, etc., that lead acid batteries do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you ever put a batterie in that you have to fill you fill them and let them sit at least an hour.
No charger or any thing just put the cap's on for that hour.
Afterwards then check level add if needed.
Always use distilled water if adding to batterie never tap water .
The reason for letting it sit is if you fill it up then charge it.
The acid has not soaked into the glass mat the charging will crystallize the mat.
Destroying it so it will only last 6 month's that's why there is only a six month's warranty on most motorcycle batteries.
I tend to like interstate brand.
But never a walmart one in my opinion

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was told by an interstate batterie tec that most fillable batteries fail improper filling.
Was told fill let sit so acid could soak into glassmat charging too soon would damage the glass causing the battereis to fail .

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was told by an interstate batterie tec that most fillable batteries fail improper filling.
Was told fill let sit so acid could soak into glassmat charging too soon would damage the glass causing the battereis to fail .
Are battery's even made any more that you have to or could fill? If so. From where? I have not owned a battery for a car or motorcycle that even had the ability to fill in 30 years?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Are battery's even made any more that you have to or could fill? If so. From where? I have not owned a battery for a car or motorcycle that even had the ability to fill in 30 years?
Autozone Walmart they are the cheapest to buy.
You get battery empty of acid the cap's and a container acid.
And a vent tube.
You can ask to find out.
But just motorcycle or atv ones.

·
Registered
30 Posts

This happens often.
The bike doesn't start, battery dead, not at home, what else.
You get a new one, fill it with acid, throw it it in your scoot and ride on instantly. And it gets charged instantly.
Half a year later the batterie is dead again, lousy quality, right...?

I use acid batteries since 35 years, always the cheapest, try to treat them right and they last for years.

·
Registered
738 Posts
WHY, why, why get a battery you have to add acid to then have to keep checking to make sure the water level hasnt dropped, and just maybe it has and you didnt know it and then the battery is shot???

Get a sealed battery and never have to check the level again.
When was the last time you had to check you car battery water level??
That's right you havent unless your over the age of 70.
Why not do the same for your bike??
Its hassle free. And costs just a few bucks more than those you have to check every other day for water level.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ok yes charge the batterie but not untill it sat an hour.
The fiberglass mat's in between the plate's must have soaked as much acid as possible.
Or the batteries will not last.
What I ment about no charger was before the fiberglass mat's had sat that hour don't use a charger.
After that hour your fine and yes charge it.
No need for me to beat this dead horse.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
See post #8.

Do not go by the 1 hour rule. Battery must be cool and it could take longer than that before charging is allowed.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Shorai Lithium battery. I am using a Ballistic Lithium battery in my ZR-1100. My Ninja has an AGM battery. Yes, I would replace your battery before you are left out in the middle of nowhere.

You might want to purchase a Snap On or other brand load type battery tester. Well worth the money, it pays for itself very fast in avoiding dead batteries when you don't want them dead. A battery charger will give you no useful information on battery condition unless you have a more sophisticated type that runs tests prior to deciding how to charge the battery (they tell you if you are wasting your time).

As an addendum to Vulcandoc's comments on AGM batteries, they are not suitable if you allow the battery to drain below a certain level. With flooded cell batteries you can drain all the way down and still charge with a typical battery charger like a Battery Tender. However, AGM batteries will NOT charge all the way back up if you allow them to lose too much charge. There is a specified method you must then use to salvage the charge depth, which involves hooking up a standard flooded battery in parallel with it (and then to the charger) for a certain number of hours, then switching to just charging the AGM battery alone. Optima has the procedure on their web site. To avoid this issue, if you get an AGM, you MUST keep it on a trickle charger during times you are not using the battery, at least a week on and a week off, to keep the charge up.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
As an addendum to Vulcandoc's comments on AGM batteries, they are not suitable if you allow the battery to drain below a certain level. With flooded cell batteries you can drain all the way down and still charge with a typical battery charger like a Battery Tender. However, AGM batteries will NOT charge all the way back up if you allow them to lose too much charge. There is a specified method you must then use to salvage the charge depth, which involves hooking up a standard flooded battery in parallel with it (and then to the charger) for a certain number of hours, then switching to just charging the AGM battery alone. Optima has the procedure on their web site. To avoid this issue, if you get an AGM, you MUST keep it on a trickle charger during times you are not using the battery, at least a week on and a week off, to keep the charge up.

The failure to charge at very low voltage is not due to AGM construction.

It is simply a matter of automatic/computerized battery charger function (or lack thereof). When the battery voltage is too low, regardless of the type of battery itself, that type of charger cannot properly determine the battery state so they refuse to start the charge cycle.

Assuming the battery is safe to charge, e.g simply dead flat, any old school manual battery charger will begin the charge. After the battery voltage has climbed above some minimum threshold (varies depending on charger) then the manual charger can be disconnected and the fancy-shmancy charger can be connected and it will kick in. Bringing up that initial voltage is what the Optima process is all about, simply because their charger will not kick in at low voltage, not because of anything to do with AGM.

Personally, I don't have a spare battery around to do the Optima process. But, I do have an old manual charger that I've occasionally used to get that initial voltage up when my fancy charger refuses to start on a really low battery.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Myself, I will replace my original battery probably with a Yuasa AGM when the OEM starts showing signs of weakness. However, it's 6 years and some months on the original and still going strong. It's hard pressed for me to consider spending twice, give or take, the price of AGM for a lithium when I have doubts the lithium will last twice as long. And, as far as battery maintenance, heck, what's that? Mine has never been out of the bike and never needed a charge to start. I do a top up charge when I put it away for the winter (battery stays in the bike), but do not use a tender/maintainer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts