Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have removed the first two baffles on each side of the exhaust ('13' Nomad 1700). I like the sound much better than stock. However, I have been reading about removing the 3rd baffle which is located in front of the catalytic converters. I understand that I can take the right side off to completely drill the front baffle. However, I don't like the idea that the back pressure is different in the right and left side. I have seen one poster that drilled (hole saw) through the cat on the left to get to the front plate, but I don't want to do that.
Has anyone drilled through the middle of both cats to the front plates just to ventilate the front baffles? In other words, I would consider drilling a 1/4 in hole through the cats and the front plates. What would that do to the cats? Would that change the sound of the pipes?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
this is my experience, oh it was about 1963 Detroit, my friend bought a 1951 junk Chevrolet sedan coupe minus mufflers and headers, we really liked seeing flames shoot out of the engine block, this thing sounded really bad-ass to our delight, but to our surprise it had no power, none, we were puzzled that even though this car sounded meaner than a hungry junk-yard dog had no friggin power, it really was a dog, wasn't until years later that I realized lots of noise does not = power.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is my experience, oh it was about 1963 Detroit, my friend bought a 1951 junk Chevrolet sedan coupe minus mufflers and headers, we really liked seeing flames shoot out of the engine block, this thing sounded really bad-ass to our delight, but to our surprise it had no power, none, we were puzzled that even though this car sounded meaner than a hungry junk-yard dog had no friggin power, it really was a dog, wasn't until years later that I realized lots of noise does not = power.
Any intelligent replies?

·
Registered
324 Posts
There's only 2 ways to get that third plug. Through the cat or cut the pipe just ahead of the muffler then weld it back together after drilling the third plug.

But these aren't true duals, it's a 2 into 1 into 2. So keeping pressure/flow equal side to side isn't really important.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's only 2 ways to get that third plug. Through the cat or cut the pipe just ahead of the muffler then weld it back together after drilling the third plug.

But these aren't true duals, it's a 2 into 1 into 2. So keeping pressure/flow equal side to side isn't really important.
Thanks for the reply.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts