Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2016 Vaquero for 2 weeks, put a little over 600 miles on 'er.

Took 'er in Saturday to the mechanic that's been working on my bikes for years, for the 600 mile service.

Everything went well, and I had mentioned transmission and belt whine to him. He came out and said that the belt was "banjo tight" - he loosened it to factory specs. Also, the rear tire was at 52 PSI! He lowered it to 40 PSI. From was OK at 36 PSI.

Bike is quieter, smoother, feels stronger, and rides better now :D

I mentioned it to the sales guy at the dealer when I went in to pick up some parts I'd ordered, he said he'd yell at the setup guy, haha!

-John

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I have said this here several times. Most "setup" guys, especially in a larger busy dealership are the less experienced lower tier technicians. They get walked through a few assemblies by senior techs then cut loose. If I was to ever buy a new bike I would go over every inch of it before I put more than drive it home miles on it.

All of that being said, you put 600 miles on a new bike without checking the tire pressure? How about the oil?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have said this here several times. Most "setup" guys, especially in a larger busy dealership are the less experienced lower tier technicians. They get walked through a few assemblies by senior techs then cut loose. If I was to ever buy a new bike I would go over every inch of it before I put more than drive it home miles on it.

All of that being said, you put 600 miles on a new bike without checking the tire pressure? How about the oil?
Nope, I mistakenly trusted the dealership to do a good job putting together my bike. Oops. TBH, I'm pretty bad about that stuff. I'll check if I see something on the ground under the bike though.

-John

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The 'setup guy' who put my Vaquero together was 20 years old, I got to talking to him and he even texted me pictures of the setup process. He was also my salesman. Long story short; he had joined the dealer at 18 as a salesman, decided he would rather be a technician. He was signed up to start classes in the fall, and the dealer was letting him assemble bikes to get "some experience" before starting his classes. So he was selling on the floor a couple days a week, and building bikes the other times. It worked out good for me because I bought my Vaquero while it was still in the crate; and they were backed up two weeks on assembly; so he just came in and put it together for me!

He did a great job, I don't have any qualms. But like the other poster said; he did indeed have their other assembler (who was not a technician, I asked) just 'show him' how to do a couple of bikes, and then he was to 'figure out' the rest. No training or real experience working on bikes. In fact, he hadn't ever ridden a motorcycle. Nice kid but, yeah; the folks assembling these bikes are not pro's.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I got to help assemble my Voyager with the master tech at the small dealership I bought it at. There isn't much to it actually. Bikes today come pretty much assembled.

The rear wheel is already mounted to the bike. If the set up instructions don't mention checking the belt tension, it isn't going to get done.

I broke the bike down further doing routine maintenance.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I just bought a 900 that every 5mm Allen bolt is over stressed or striped. Some set up monkey with an impact has made a mess. So far I have been able to get them all off but they will all have to be replaced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts