Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been riding the '9 for a couple of weeks, I am enjoying the smooth ride, and the pretty looks...

but,

as chance would have it, another insurance wreck fell in my lap.
Looked at it on Monday, S-I-L bid on it Tuesday, brought it home Wednesday.
$2,300 for the bike, $500 total in repair parts (already purchased), should be worth around $6,000.

Here's the apology part of the thread:
I'm sorry, but I've wanted a Bonneville since I bought my GS750 back in 1978!
I'm afraid I may like this Triumph better than the '9.
Sorry, faithful '9 owners.

Here's a peek, oh, and it's a 2010 Bonneville SE, with 4,500 miles.

·
Registered
113 Posts
While I love the look and ride of my 09 custom se, I have a 82 cb750f sitting in my garage waiting for enough cash to do an engine overhaul. I love the look of the older bikes and will probably sell the vulcan when its done.

Enjoy the Bonnie she looks wonderful

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
That's a good looking bike! Enjoy it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys...I wasn't really looking for another bike, just kind of stumbled into this one.
I was checking out a Jeep TJ when I saw it gleaming in the sun. Sometimes these vehicles sit in the storage yard for months before they go to auction. Imagine my surprise when I saw it listed in the upcoming auction. I lost the Jeep (2001 TJ 6cyl, auto, soft top, clean body, easy frame fix) but got the Triumph.

I've said this before, it's almost some kind of racket, these insurance wrecks...I can't believe these things are written off the way they are.

But, thanks to the help here, I did get my '9 back together and riding and handling great!! So a big thanks to all.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Hey you like what you like. As I have said before, its not what you ride, its that you ride.
Its a good looking Bonnie, have fun with it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Keeping them both is good advice... and add a 3rd.

Justify it by deeming each with with a "duty" of sorts. My vulcan is my commuter bike, my long distance bike, my out with friends or the g/f at dinner bike.

My KTM is my zombie apocolypse bike, my rainy weather bike, my sunday warrior, my unique to have because no one knows WTF it is bike.

I want a sport tourer (well, a Ulysses isn't exactly fitting here, but I want one) so I can ride year round-ish. Too much chrome to clean on the Vulcan, and the carb on my KTM is a PITA in cold weather.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Thanks, guys...I wasn't really looking for another bike, just kind of stumbled into this one.
I was checking out a Jeep TJ when I saw it gleaming in the sun. Sometimes these vehicles sit in the storage yard for months before they go to auction. Imagine my surprise when I saw it listed in the upcoming auction. I lost the Jeep (2001 TJ 6cyl, auto, soft top, clean body, easy frame fix) but got the Triumph.

I've said this before, it's almost some kind of racket, these insurance wrecks...I can't believe these things are written off the way they are.

But, thanks to the help here, I did get my '9 back together and riding and handling great!! So a big thanks to all.
I sometimes wonder if it's a liability thing. My buddy dropped his bike and scratched the tank. Made an insurance claim because he only had a $100 deductible. They wanted to total it for a scratched tank on a bike that books over $6k. My thought is, maybe they are thinking; what if he gets in a wreck next week? What if he says the insurance company missed frame damage and/or told him it was safe to ride when it wasn't? He's not the sue-for-idiocy type of guy but they don't know that.

Seems like you can smash a car into a million pieces but still get it fixed if it costs $50 less to fix it than total it. But if you do any damage to a bike it's done for.

Are they ALL insurance write offs, by the way? I wonder if sometimes the banks auction these off instead of selling them. I know a lot of banks work through repo/collection companies that pay the bank, repo the car, and then sell it. But if they don't know what to do with a bike maybe they'd just shove it through an auction?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've been looking at insurance auctions to get another bike to go with my Vulcan 1500 classic. Seems like I buy used motorcycles anyway that I have to fix, so its no big deal here. I like all motorcycles and can't limit myself to just one. No plans on getting rid of 1500, though.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I've been looking at insurance auctions to get another bike to go with my Vulcan 1500 classic. Seems like I buy used motorcycles anyway that I have to fix, so its no big deal here. I like all motorcycles and can't limit myself to just one. No plans on getting rid of 1500, though.

I've thought about it too just as a project. I like to tinker. I'd like to buy some running but banged up older bike, fix it up, and turn it into a rat bike bobber. Would be fun to do! Dunno what I'd do with it when it was done but it'd be fun to do...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Romans, Mr dogg and others,

The insurance wrecks are surely that...some have very little damage, some are difficult to look at, knowing what must have happened to the rider.
Same with the cars...a few weeks ago there was a well publicized Porsche, mostly severed in two, two fatalities from that one.

Beyond the wrecks themselves are some donations, some wholesale stuff that local dealers just want off their lots. Some have clear titles, most do not.
With the recent floods, there are many water damaged vehicles, some run, most do not.

Most of these things have a salvage certificate, requiring an inspection by a state run facility to get a new, "salvage vehicle" branded title.
Only registered dealers can bid on these, or wreckers or dismantlers. It has sometimes taken 7 months to get through the entire process to retitle.

But, with all that said, if any of you have the opportunity to pick up these vehicles, you should do so. Not only can you get a bike (or car, or boat, or camper) for cheap, you can make a profit, and keep a vehicle out of the scrap yard.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2013
202 Posts
So these insurance auctions that you go to, you have to have a tax payer ID to bid or are they open to the public?

·
Registered
702 Posts
So I've been riding the '9 for a couple of weeks, I am enjoying the smooth ride, and the pretty looks...

but,

as chance would have it, another insurance wreck fell in my lap.
Looked at it on Monday, S-I-L bid on it Tuesday, brought it home Wednesday.
$2,300 for the bike, $500 total in repair parts (already purchased), should be worth around $6,000.

Here's the apology part of the thread:
I'm sorry, but I've wanted a Bonneville since I bought my GS750 back in 1978!
I'm afraid I may like this Triumph better than the '9.
Sorry, faithful '9 owners.

Here's a peek, oh, and it's a 2010 Bonneville SE, with 4,500 miles.

No apology necessary, that Triumph is a beauty!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Most are coming with either a salvage title or a bill of sale pursuant to guidelines met for title in your home state. Do pay attention to auction terms. Some may say parts only, cannot be reconstructed. Some may say only can reconstructed in a certain state, meaning you have make repair acceptable to that state before you'd get papers to register in your state.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very few of these auctions are open to the general public. If you are a registered dealer, maybe you can bid. Also, you have to pay for the courtesy of paying them money, same as Copart...
The inspection for a new title is serious stuff, we're talking dismantling vehicles, armed state police, etc. Must have receipts and VIN data for any and all purchased or used parts.

Miss a step along the way and you'll sit for 2 years to get a title...I'veseen it happen!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts