Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long do you go between changes? I'm considering a switch and want info on this compared to other synthetics.

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
How long do you go between changes? I'm considering a switch and want info on this compared to other synthetics.

Thanks

I use the 20w50 and run it the whole year. I usually put anywhere from 5 to 8k a year on the bike and change it as winter starts to come. I will put a new Pure 1 filter on every 3 to 4k though. V2Kman

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use the 20w50 and run it the whole year. I usually put anywhere from 5 to 8k a year on the bike and change it as winter starts to come. I will put a new Pure 1 filter on every 3 to 4k though. V2Kman
Hope it's not a stupid question, but you drain the oil, change the filter and put the old oil back in?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hope it's not a stupid question, but you drain the oil, change the filter and put the old oil back in?
No, you don't lose that much oil with a filter change. I put the long Pure1 filters in and it usually takes a forth to a third of a quart to bring it back to proper service. I do the oil change at the end of the year since the combustion of the 4 stroke engine can cause the oil to get a little acidic when dirty and sitting over the winter I would rather have fresh oil in the motor than dirty. We are only talking a few months here so I doubt it makes a big difference but every little bit helps. V2Kman

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Once per year, at the time it goes into winter storage. Typically it ends up being 5k miles give or take.

If I put on more miles per year I'd probably not change until 7.5k, maybe 10K.

I'd still change minimum of once per year though regardless of miles.

FWIW, the manual says oil change interval is 7.5k, just in case you didn't know, and that's with plain old Kawi dino oil.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Not alot of miles ridden!!

I usually put about 10,000 miles a year easily, i went the whole time on Amsoil but added about 1/2 quart at 5,000. Oil looked good when I changed, hope this was helpful!!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, guys, this is all very helpful.

My only concern is that I ride 10-12K miles a year. How would that affect your change interval?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
If you really want to know the true life capability of the oil in your application you to have to use oil analysis at periodic intervals.

Otherwise, this is Amsoil's recommendation for on-road 4-stroke motorcycles using their motorcycle oil -

Up to 2 X OEM recommendations for conventional petroleum oil, not to exceed 15,000 miles or 1 year

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you really want to know the true life capability of the oil in your application you to have to use oil analysis at periodic intervals.
Wow, thanks, but that's not gonna happen. Too sciency for me.

I feel funny going 10,000 miles or more on one batch of oil, but if some guys I don't know on an anonymous internet forum tell me it's OK, I guess I'll do it.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just kidding. Thanks for all the input, fellers. I've got some deciding to do. I'm not doing anything until I get in & do my HLAs & rocker shaft screens in a few weeks.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Wow, thanks, but that's not gonna happen. Too sciency for me.

I feel funny going 10,000 miles or more on one batch of oil, but if some guys I don't know on an anonymous internet forum tell me it's OK, I guess I'll do it.
Playing the Devil's Advocate...

You trust Amsoil enough to put their product in your engine, but you don't trust them enough to use their recommendation for change interval?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Playing the Devil's Advocate...

You trust Amsoil enough to put their product in your engine, but you don't trust them enough to use their recommendation for change interval?
Good point. It just gives me the willies a little bit using oil that long. Not that I'm a complete stranger to it. The way I treated my cars when I was a teenager...but I digress.

I'm sure I can bring my self to do it, it just seems weird.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks, guys, this is all very helpful.

My only concern is that I ride 10-12K miles a year. How would that affect your change interval?
I agree with whoaru99, no sweat with 10-12k a year on that oil. After 15k I would start to worry. Just replace the filter every 3-4K. V2Kman

·
Registered
39 Posts
Amsoil

FWIW, I normally change it at 5K miles. Oil and filter of course...I haven't ridden a great deal this year due to family issues, so I may change it this fall sometime regardless of mileage just because of the time elapsed. Not trying to stir up controversy, but I don't always follow a manufacturer's suggestions. It isn't going to hurt a machine to change the oil sooner than prescribed. It's only money, and after all I've been through this year I don't worry about it as much as I did in years past.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Is it going to hurt it? Probably not unless you strip out the plugs, etc. with frequent changes. By that same token I'd like to see something more than anecdotal evidence that overservicing the oil and filter makes a statistical increase in life of the engine/tranny that outweighs the associated cost of the increased service.

Myself, at the risk of sounding brash, don't need to worry about the cost of changing oil too soon either, but by the same token I'm not just going to toss a bunch of perfectly good oil (and money) in the recycle bin for no good reason. Just because I could afford to do that isn't a good reason, IMO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts