Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right, her comes my opinion piece on Amsoil. I have used Valvoline synthetic in two GMC trucks and both now have 100,000+ miles, no problems. I like synthetic, I will continue to use synthetic. I am currently breaking in a new 2012 Vulcan Voyager, last week I rode 200 miles around Daytona and the dash MPG was 34.2. MPG has been creeping up during break in. I did the 600 mile oil change and for the first time used Amsoil synthetic 10w-40. Today I did nearly the identical ride to Cocoa Beach, on the way mileage was 34.2 on the way back it was 34.4 MPG. I have been told many tall tales about Amsoil over the years and decided to test it myself, no big jump in mileage, no big change in shifting or acceleration. I really didn't think there would be. Do I think Amsoil is a premium synthetic? Yes. Will I continue to use it in this bike? Yes. Have I become a member of the Amsoil Zombie Cult? No.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Its no better than other synthetics. I tried and thought the bike shifted worse than with Mobil 1 4T.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
When I can get it at wholesale I buy a case, otherwise I use whatever motorcycle synthetic I can get for the best price.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
It's hard to find independent studies that weren't funded by or performed by Amsoil themselves. (Nothing against the product, but they ARE sneaky in some of their marketing practices), but many do show reductions in wear over other synthetics.

I use it, but not all the time. The price in-store is insanely high, I can get it online for a reasonable price but often it's a matter of convenience (only place I CAN get it is over an hour away) and I use Valvoline motorcycle synthetic 10W-40 in my 900. I can get that just about anywhere. Auto parts stores, hardware store, Wally World even if I end up in there.

·
Registered
851 Posts
any opinions on royal purple?
I'm running Royal Purple for now, I put it in right in after I was thru the break in miles just to try it. I have about 5,600 miles on the purple and been checking it every thousand mile to see how it's holding up. It's not complete broke down but dam close, I have a total of 6,300 miles on my ride and will probably pull the plug about 7,000 miles. Will I run it again...NO! Not worth the extra money!

I will probably change over to ether Mobil T4 synthetic or even the Kawi full synthetic. There believe there is a forum member that has over 150,000 miles on his and all he ran was kawi oil in it. How can it much better than that?

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
I don't believe the brand of oil is all that important, as long as you change it frequently enough. I use Purolator Pure One filters, which are very highly rated. I use Valveline or Castrol 10-40 motorcycle oil, but I recently bought some Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W-40. It's JASO MA certified, approved for motorcycle wet clutch use. I change the oil at 3-4000 mile interval, or whenever it starts looking dirty. Really, oil is oil. I used to hear "bad" things about Castrol GTX, like it builds sludge in the oil pan. I used Castrol GTX 20W-50 exclusively in my 1986.5 Nissan pickup w/3.0 liter V6. I changed oil every 5k miles for the first 100,000 miles, then every 3K miles for the next 100,000 miles, then every 2,500 miles for the next 75,000 miles. Then I finally sold it after 20 yrs and 3 months, and 275,000 miles. The one and only time the engine was opened up was at about 200,000 miles when a cam had to be replaced.
The Consumer Reports oil test on NYC taxi cabs proved that. Their findings were "every brand of oil performed as well as the next, with every engine showing no significant signs of wear" after being torn down and all tolerances measured.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts