Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about roadside assistance. this past weekend I was riding with a few friends most of us belong to AMA One of the riders went down on some gravel slow speed not injuries except the shift lever on the bike was broken. She is an AMA member so she called and said she needed a tow they told her that accident damage was not covered and the tow would cost her $135.00 for 35 miles Any one know of a better roadside assistance program for motorcycles? Oh took and hour and a half for the tow to arrive

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I don't have experience with AMA, but I know with my normal motorcycle insurance's roadside assistance, a tow is a tow, regardless of why you need it. I don't know the costs of AMA membership, but the costs might be comparable or even less to add it to your normal insurance.

·
Registered
357 Posts
ROK (Riders of Kawasaki) offers roadside assistance. Not sure if it will cover accidents or not though. If you are a member of the Vulcan Riders Association, they give a 33% discount.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have geico and I will have to ask them AMA is $50 a year it seems that if its accident related you have to pay for it

·
Registered
46 Posts
I upgraded my AAA membership to include my bikes. Thankfully I havent had to use it yet though. My experience with AAA has been very positive in the past.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Sounds like a loophole to me. I mean what is their definition of an "Accident". Oops it fell over because I parked it on the kickstand up hill and it was not leaning enough and I need a tow because I broke my brake peddle, or I was moving slow and slipped in gravel, or I lost control at a high rate of speed the bike slid, tumbled and erupted in flames?

But what company ain't in business of making money, not spending it?

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I have towing coverage with Progressive. A tow is a tow, regardless of circumstance. Coverage is for up to 15 miles with anything further paid out of pocket.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I have towing coverage with my motorcycle insurance as well, as well was 'trip interruption'. With trip interruption if I'm sufficiently far from home, they'll not only tow the bike but get me a hotel room and rent me a car, I think that kicks in if I'm 500 miles from home.

Just make sure to check your limits. I bumped my towing coverage to 100 miles because it wasn't much more at all (couple bucks), and that means that much of the time if something happens, I can still get it towed home. I don't have to rely on having it towed to a dealer to make a repair I might be able to do on my own. Like the situation you mentioned with a broken shifter. That's not a difficult repair, and I'd rather do that in my garage than fork out for a dealer to do it who is probably going to take days to get it done and I'm totally at their mercy. As a matter of fact, that exact situation happened to a friend. His shifter came apart on his dyna. He was stuck in third. We rigged up (it involved zip ties and duct tape of course) a way for him to shift and we got it to an H-D dealer, who said they were so backed up it'd be 2 or 3 days before they 'got to it'. We weren't far from home so we all rode back to the home of the one in our group who had the biggest shop, and got it fixed that evening. If that was not the case and it was unrideable and it had to be towed; with many towing plans he's at the mercy of the closest dealer. (Some have limits but won't go farther than the closest authorized service station, something else to check).

Doesn't hurt to double up through with ROK/AMA/etc., as cheap as they are, and avoid giving your insurance company a reason to bump rates up.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I have towing coverage with Progressive. A tow is a tow, regardless of circumstance. Coverage is for up to 15 miles with anything further paid out of pocket.
I use Progressive as well, but I thought it was up to 60 miles? Maybe our coverage is different.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I use Progressive as well, but I thought it was up to 60 miles? Maybe our coverage is different.
Just spoke with Customer Service at Progressive. Roadside assistance will cover towing to the nearest qualified repair center, regardless of distance. OR, it will cover towing to a place of your choice up to 15 miles away.

If the bike is disabled due to an accident then that is still covered.

Thanks for prompting me to clear that up, Doom.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I have AAA, and upgraded it to cover my motorcycle. Covers up to 100 miles of towing. It gave me a pretty good amount of confidence on my Vulcan. It gives me a amazing amount of confidence on my Road King, as I can almost always find a Harley dealership within 100 miles.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Just spoke with Customer Service at Progressive. Roadside assistance will cover towing to the nearest qualified repair center, regardless of distance. OR, it will cover towing to a place of your choice up to 15 miles away.

If the bike is disabled due to an accident then that is still covered.
I had called them too lol but I got sidetracked and couldn't post my findings. Glad you did tho.

A lot of people don't realize that "nearest qualified repair center" isn't always a dealer. Frankly, I think it should be "nearest factory authorized repair center'. But that's just me.

Thanks for prompting me to clear that up, Doom.
No problem :)

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I had called them too lol but I got sidetracked and couldn't post my findings. Glad you did tho.

A lot of people don't realize that "nearest qualified repair center" isn't always a dealer. Frankly, I think it should be "nearest factory authorized repair center'. But that's just me.

No problem :)
I have to agree, it would be nice to Factory authorized dealer... Unless I really knew the shop! Most cases you don't!

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I have to agree, it would be nice to Factory authorized dealer... Unless I really knew the shop! Most cases you don't!
Exactly, especially if you are hundreds of miles from home when it happens. If you are a weekend rider who rarely goes on rides more than a 50 mile radius from home, then it probably wouldn't matter to you. But people like me, and many others who routinely go on long rides, "factory authorized" would ease my mind quite a bit.

There's a shop near here that does custom work, and a LOT of maintenance on bikes. They have 2 main mechanics. A Harley guy (who obviously only works on Harleys) and "The Import Guy" as they call him. This guy went to school specifically for and trained on Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Triumph. When it comes to a Kawasaki tho, he knows his stuff.

I found this shop after taking my old Vulcan 750 to the dealer to find out why during a ride it would cut off like it was out of gas. "POOGS" as they call it (phantom out of gas syndrome). The dealer couldn't figure it out and a friend recommended them to me. I went there and this guy took it for a ride, came back and told me what the problem was. Was my petcock. I replaced it and it never did it again. Ever since then, they've been my "if I can't fix it I'm taking it to them" mechanic. And they have the "Factory Authorized Service Center" displayed on the door. Not to mention the labor costs are less than the dealer too.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I agree as well. I guess it all depends on the shop and the quality of their mechanics. But, having the bike towed to a shop that doesn't have the right manuals / replacement parts likely means that things aren't going to get done real fast. If I ever find myself in that situation then I'll have them store the bike for a bit while I decide what to do. Then I'll show up with a trailer, pay them for a reasonable storage fee, and then take the bike to a shop I know is factory authorized. Since I'm not ever planning on being more than a few hundred miles from home on my Vulcan then I think this is a workable plan, although a pretty big inconvenience. Knock on wood I never have to put this plan into action. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Honestly, that wouldn't concern me. Progressive themselves guarantee the repair, so quality isn't much of a concern, and I've yet to see even a dealer who ever gets things done in a timely manner (It's always "It'll be at least a week before I can even look at it...").

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Honestly, that wouldn't concern me. Progressive themselves guarantee the repair, so quality isn't much of a concern, and I've yet to see even a dealer who ever gets things done in a timely manner (It's always "It'll be at least a week before I can even look at it...").
Dealers are the worst for wait time. Of course they are doing warranty work and the like where a small mom and pop shop usually doesn't so the wait times (won't get to it for at least a few days or a week) aren't there usually.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Dealers are the worst for wait time. Of course they are doing warranty work and the like where a small mom and pop shop usually doesn't so the wait times (won't get to it for at least a few days or a week) aren't there usually.
Oh, I know. I absolutely HATE having to take the bike in to a dealer for anything...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did wind up dropping AMA and picking up ROC they seem more geared to the recreational rider

1 - 19 of 19 Posts