Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Looks like:

For Oil Changes???
Ummmmmm......No......Not sure where u from.....I assume this is miles and not Kms........Anyways.....I think the MOM...calls 4 first change at 500 or 1000 miles.....But regardless........Normal is every 3000 to 3500 Miles....This is what most do.....Depends on ur riding style and temps and so on.....Some do more some do less......Generally with a new bike it is good 2 change the oil a couple times....If using full synthetic...well that is another story....Good luck.....U can not change the oil 2 often........:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ummmmmm......No......Not sure where u from.....I assume this is miles and not Kms........Anyways.....I think the MOM...calls 4 first change at 500 or 1000 miles.....But regardless........Normal is every 3000 to 3500 Miles....This is what most do.....Depends on ur riding style and temps and so on.....Some do more some do less......Generally with a new bike it is good 2 change the oil a couple times....If using full synthetic...well that is another story....Good luck.....U can not change the oil 2 often........:)
Wrong!

I read it right out of the manual.

Anyone else want to chime in that isn't just guessing?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Didn't say u were wrong sport.......Said i didn't know where u were from so i didn't know if this was miles or km's........I was not quoting what the MOM said i was telling u what a lot of people who ride bikes do.....

·
Registered
424 Posts
Looks like:

For Oil Changes???
NO, those are the recomended intervals to do checks and mantanence on the bike, 600 is the first inspection and tightening of bolts, gives the dealer a chance to make sure they put it together right, without looking at MOM I know 15,000 is the first valve adjustment, other things such as coolant, brake fluid, and other adjustments are built in.

Oil, is 600, 2000, and every 3000 after, recomended, the first change is a must to get the break in oil out of the engine.

Check MOM for a complete list of adjustments

As for oil use you own discresion for when and what type/brand to use.:cool:
Many wars have been started over the question "WHAT IS THE BEST OIL TO USE", each to his own, its your bike. (NOTE: Do not use car oils most will ruin your clutch)

The maintanence should be done, within reason on schedule, if you are a "wrench" do yourself, if not, like me :( have the dealer do it, hope you have deep pockets).

Good luck and keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Looks like:

For Oil Changes???
Page 87 of my MOM says, 600...7,500...15,000...22,500...30,000 or every year which ever comes first.

·
Registered
782 Posts
MOM does say the intervals mentioned above. Although, I think BigK wrote the book in Japanese(metric) and then translated it. Of course, kilometers do not translate to nice even numbers in miles. So I think K just rounded up or down on some of the intervals when listing the miles.

Personally, I am using Castrol full synthetic and doing changes at 75000m, 15000m, 22500m, 30000m... etc. I have done a lot of research on the type of oil to use and although I know this is about to start another oil war, I have found no real evidence that car oil (cage oil) is any different than motorcycle oil. I did read some compeling evidence that Mobil 1 synthetic could be bad per they put in some extra additives that are so slick they can make your clutch slip. Even then, the evidence said it only happened on the rare occasion. So far I have had no troubles with the Castrol and it is half the price of the motorcycle specific oil that can only be bought at a bike shop. I buy the Fram oil filter and Castrol oil at Wal-mart. If figure since I am using full synthetic, it should easily last the 7500m interval.

Lastly, do not skip the 600 mile oil change. In the first 600 miles, the engine is breaking itself in and knocking off a lot little metal bits inside the motor. I have heard several people talk about the silvery sheen that the first oil has when it is drained at 600 miles. You need to get this stuff out so it doesn't add extra engine wear over the first 7500m.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Looks like:
For Oil Changes???
That is what mine says as well. I believe it to be a 7,500 mile oil change interval or at least once a yr, after the 600 mile break in. I think the 24,000 mile is a misprint and as others have stated should be 22,500. Now, why others don't trust Kawasaki engineers and change theirs about twice this much, I have no idea but it is their money.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I went to synthetic after the break'in, generaly do a change at 5000 mile interverls. As for what the book says, yes that is the schedule they call out.
Same here. went with Mobil 1 4t 10w-40 full synthetic and change every 5000 miles. K&N filter changed every other oil change. But I'm starting to think that for the $10 extra, I'll do it every time now. We'll see....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oil Change intervals per Canadian Manual

Manual says to change oil at least once a year or

Kilometers Miles

1000 600
12000 7500
24000 15000
36000 22500
48000 30000

Intervals seem to be very far apart for my liking. I have been changing at 5000 km max. Extra oil and filter changes won't do any harm. Just my opinion.

John Mc.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I run amsoil 10/40 since I have owned owned my 2006 classic 900 at 4,000 miles.It now has 51,000 miles and I change my oil once a year or 10,000 miles with the Amsoil. Amsoil guarantees twice what the manufacturers recommends(and thats on conventional oil),so technically, since Kawi recommends oil change every 7,500 miles on conventional oil with the Amsoil you can go 15,000 miles between oil changes. I am not a seller or a dealer with Amsoil,just believe in it fully after looking at alot of data and research/testing done on it compared to other oils.....conventional and synthetic.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I change mine (Full syn valvoline) every 5,000 miles or once a year. (The mileage always comes first) A few people will tell me I'm wasting time and money because synthetics can go longer, and/or quote the manual with Kawa engineers recommending an interval of 7,500 miles, but here's the thing:

Oil is not that expensive in the grand scheme of things. Every 5,000 miles I drop a few bucks, which is a heck of a lot cheaper than a blown engine.

MARKETING RUNS THE WORLD! This is ESPECIALLY rampant in the car industry. Manufacturers arbitrarily INCREASE the intervals, there have been multiple cases where marketing exec's have over-ruled engineers when it comes to service and owners manuals (or the 'miles to oil change' or 'oil life' indicators on a lot of cars. There was an article I recently read about a group of GM engineers being surprised to find that the marketing department at GM had increased the values for the 'oil life %' in the computer on a lot of the newer models of the small cars like the Chevy Cobalt, because their annual cost of maintenance was too high to be competitive.), so that the salesman can say 'It has the lowest cost of ownership of anything in it's class!'. Because while the Brand X Car Y recommends oil changes every 3,000 miles, Brand Z Car 7 only recomnend it every 6,000 miles. That means it costs half as much to own!*

*Just make sure you trade it in before the 50,000 mile mark, otherwise if you stuck with our idiotically high oil change intervals, it's gonna start getting pricey.

I don't mean to spark up another debate or anything, but this IS a discussion board, so there's my input. Oil changes are cheap insurance for the maintenance of your cars. For what it's worth, I've never sold a car with LESS than 200,000 miles, (current record holder had 462,000. Still runs, bumped in to the guy who bought it from me a few weeks ago. He is about to roll over 600,000!), and I always change the oil ever 3,000 miles OR three months whichever comes first (The amount I drive, it works out to be every couple of weeks, every month at most). So, there, have two cents! :p

·
Registered
224 Posts
Of course the oil companies are about marketing,they want to sell their product just like anyone else. But if they themselves were all about"upping the allowed mileage" through marketing just to get consumers,although this may entice a consumer to continue using their product it also allows the consumer to not buy their product as often due to these increased intervals.So offering an "increased interval"oil for sales purposes only without the tests/proof to back it up doesn't make sense.. Whether it's Amsoil,Mobil1,Pennzoil,Castrol,etc. etc. They produce what they feel is a superior product,and through third party testing compare it to other oils in their class to see where they stack up.These companies(at least not amsoil) do not do their own testing. The tests speak for themselves and goes to prove the old saying....you get what you pay for.Thats just my 2 cents. I know everyone has their favorite oils/tires/bikes/brakes,etc. for their own reasons and should use what they fell comfortable with through experience/knowledge of product.

·
Registered
292 Posts
My 2006 manual shows 600, 7500, 15000, 24000, 30000 or every year. I run amsoil and change at the beginning of the season, then every 7500 miles thereafter during the same season. Just my preferred schedule and preferred oil. So far, no problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts