Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

My license plate came off (or was knocked off) and I'm not sure if I'm missing a mount that goes under the rear fender and holds the actual license plate bracket/frame. It could have been rattling, but I suspect it was a combination of that and someone giving it a bump in a parking lot, because the bracket is bent and there's a skid mark on the actual plate. I was actually "honked down" buy a car driver who signaled "trouble" to me and was the reason I pulled over to find the plate hanging an inch away from the tire by the electric cord going to the LED plate light.

So since I did not take the actual plate off, and don't have a recollection of the mount/bracket "assembly," I am wondering if anyone can tell me what's the easiest way to put this thing back on.

The holes on the "frame" under the fender are threaded, but when I place the bracket next to it, it appears to be at an angle, which leads me to believe I'm missing a piece. I could theoretically find the right size screws and add two spacers, but I'm not sure if that's the best way.

My biggest problem is that I can't use a bolt and a nut, because I don't see a way to hold the bolt head while screwing/tightening the nut. So that's why I think that I can only use the screw and put it in from the "outside."

I may be making this more complicated than it should be, but if someone can (in)validate my hunch about a missing part? If it's validated, how would you go about replacing it? I did not find anything like that online, so maybe I should just get a new frame altogether?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
that looks like a signal light replace kit with the LED bar. I could show you stock but there is probably supposed to be that short with the kit? It moves the plate up right under the fender since there is a gap.

maybe find a threaded screw and bend the plate down?

either that or someone snagged a bracket off your bike :shrug:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that looks like a signal light replace kit with the LED bar. I could show you stock but there is probably supposed to be that short with the kit? It moves the plate up right under the fender since there is a gap.

maybe find a threaded screw and bend the plate down?

either that or someone snagged a bracket off your bike :shrug:

Thanks, Frizzman! you're right, it is an LED kit, but the actual LED bar came with its own mount, and I put that on, but for the life of me I don't remember if i had to put a part over it. If you could show me what stock looks like that would be much appreciated, but don't go through the trouble of taking your fender off if you don't have a picture handy.

I'm thinking that your solution with a threaded screw and bending the plate is easier than what i had in mind with spacers. Thanks again!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey Bad, that set-up you have is nothing like the stock set-up.

The stock signal light/plate mount is large, black, and mostly plastic.

I'd say you are going to have to figure out a way to re-mount that plate using whatever materials you can get your hands on and have the ability to work with. You might try some aluminum flat bar to fab up something.

A picture of the stock set-up isn't going to help you...and I don't have one, sorry.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Bad, that set-up you have is nothing like the stock set-up.

The stock signal light/plate mount is large, black, and mostly plastic.

I'd say you are going to have to figure out a way to re-mount that plate using whatever materials you can get your hands on and have the ability to work with. You might try some aluminum flat bar to fab up something.

A picture of the stock set-up isn't going to help you...and I don't have one, sorry.
I was ready for advice like that, and I think I'll replace the whole thing, and go the "fab it up" route. I just can't wait to be riding again! :D Thanks clearing it up, Shadow!

·
Registered
357 Posts
How bad is the angle for the plate? If it's visible then just grab a few bolts to fasten it to whats there and save some money :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How bad is the angle for the plate? If it's visible then just grab a few bolts to fasten it to whats there and save some money :)
That's more than likely going to be the short term solution, but eventually I want to move the plate to the side so that I can cover it when entering toll ways ;) Thanks for all the pieces of advice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts