Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently acquired a neglected 2004 Vulcan that sat under a tree for 4 years. I am turning into a bobbers wrench turner bike. The bike is all cleaned up and stripped down. New tank, bars, rebuilt forks, seat, battery, rebuilt carburetor, and on and on.

My current issue is no spark. I have replaced the spark plugs, coils, and I am currently working on the stator replacement. When I opened the alternator cover a decent size amount of oil leaked out. I went to change the oil with the alternator cover off and I got about 3 quarts in before I noticed it leaking out the other side. My question is two fold

1. Is it normal to have engine oil in the alternator cover?
2. Is the cover part of the containment system for the bike, does the cover create the a seal keeping the oil in.

I want to check to see if it was an over sight on my behalf or a larger problem to deal with.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I recently acquired a neglected 2004 Vulcan that sat under a tree for 4 years. I am turning into a bobbers wrench turner bike. The bike is all cleaned up and stripped down. New tank, bars, rebuilt forks, seat, battery, rebuilt carburetor, and on and on.

My current issue is no spark. I have replaced the spark plugs, coils, and I am currently working on the stator replacement. When I opened the alternator cover a decent size amount of oil leaked out. I went to change the oil with the alternator cover off and I got about 3 quarts in before I noticed it leaking out the other side. My question is two fold

1. Is it normal to have engine oil in the alternator cover?
2. Is the cover part of the containment system for the bike, does the cover create the a seal keeping the oil in.

I want to check to see if it was an over sight on my behalf or a larger problem to deal with.
Welcome Robrivard.

To address your question about the left side engine cover, Yes. It does hold oil and must be sealed to keep the oil in.

To address the issue of No Spark, the stator does not affect the ignition system. It is only for battery charging. Do you have a Service Manual? If not it is imperative that you have one. When troubleshooting electrical systems you can spend a lot of money and time swapping parts. With proper troubleshooting you can properly diagnose the problem and replace the correct part.

There are a couple of things to try that are common for this bike. First verify that the sidestand switch is working. (It can be bypassed by connecting its wires together. The connectors are along the left frame rail near the horn.) Verify that battery voltage while starting is above 10V. If the battery is weak it may not have enough voltage to operate the ignition system.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know about the alternator cover, I am glad it isn't a larger issue.

As for the No Spark issue, I will chase down the kickstand switch tomorrow. I have the Haynes service manual. I have changed spark plugs, ignition coils and replaced the pick up coils, last on the list would be IC igniter off Ebay. I doesn't mention the kickstand switch, I also have a Honda CRF250L that I have had issues with the kickstand switch so it is good to check, didn't think about it.

The bike sat for years on its engine block under a tree in Hawaii one would have to assume there is sometype of corrosion in the switch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome Robrivard.

To address your question about the left side engine cover, Yes. It does hold oil and must be sealed to keep the oil in.

To address the issue of No Spark, the stator does not affect the ignition system. It is only for battery charging. Do you have a Service Manual? If not it is imperative that you have one. When troubleshooting electrical systems you can spend a lot of money and time swapping parts. With proper troubleshooting you can properly diagnose the problem and replace the correct part.

There are a couple of things to try that are common for this bike. First verify that the sidestand switch is working. (It can be bypassed by connecting its wires together. The connectors are along the left frame rail near the horn.) Verify that battery voltage while starting is above 10V. If the battery is weak it may not have enough voltage to operate the ignition system.

Hope this helps.
Bypassed the Side Stand switch. No go, bike still "turns" but doesn't "turn over". I have good starter kick (cover is off) but I am not getting any spark (plug is pulled and checked agains the engine block) I am reading 12.86 v on the battery (its new and charged) . Last step per the Haynes guide is to remove and replace the IC igniter. I think I found one on Ebay for about $100. Other then that I am at my wits end chasing the problem.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Silly question but have you checked the IGN fuse? Is there is power to that fuse? Check for power on the BR/W wire to the ignitor and he RED wire to the coils too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuse is good 30amp, I am getting power to the ignitor at 12.76 and also to the Red wire into the coils. Quick question, does the red wire go into the top or bottom of the coils, I want to make sure I have it wired correctly. The wire chart shows bottom.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I have connected the coils reversed and they still work.
The IGN fuse is in the Fusebox under the seat and should be a 10A (red). But since you have voltage at the coils are good.

I hate that the bike sat outside for so long. That kind of abuse affects the electricals in ways that are difficult to pin down sometimes. Corrosion can weep into places and hide for a long time. I wish you luck going forward.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts