Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried Pulstar plugs or something of that nature in their bike? If so, were there any problems or did it perform any different?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Has anyone tried Pulstar plugs or something of that nature in their bike? If so, were there any problems or did it perform any different?
If you type spark plugs in the search mode there should be a few threads regarding plugs and the user opinions.

·
Registered
231 Posts
FWIW...Here's a rather strongly worded opinion of the plug from another (Corvette) forum:

A spark in the combustion chamber has one job and one job only...ignite the mixture. Once ignition has been obtained, the flame front progresses across the combustion chamber regardless of the manner in which ignition occurred. The average power delivered by the spark of each spark plug is about the same and the energy delivered is about the same too...based on their numbers, about .0015 watt-seconds for conventional plugs vs .002 watt-seconds for this scam plug.

I can make a case for the Pulstar plug making less power. They say their spark lasts 2 billionths of a second while in conventional plugs the spark lasts 30 milllionths of a second. That means there is a shorter amount of time the A/F mixture is exposed to a means of igniting, so if the swirling mixture isn't exactly the right ratio at the point of the Pulstar when it gets its' short burst, a misfire will result causing a reduction in power. [snip] The longer duration of the conventional plug means a longer opportunity to ignite a marginal mixture. This is like an engine that makes high peak power but only in a very narrow, very high RPM range vs an engine that has less peak power but it's average power over the RPM band used during acceleration (usuable power band) is much greater. The engine with less peak power will kick the high peak power engine's butt all the way down the quarter mile.

Also FWIW - I tend to agree. With the government crawling up the manufacturer's sterns about CAFE standards, I would think that if a simple spark plug could "make more horsepower" for the same ammount of fuel, all cars would be using this technology. JMHO...:D

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also FWIW - I tend to agree. With the government crawling up the manufacturer's sterns about CAFE standards, I would think that if a simple spark plug could "make more horsepower" for the same ammount of fuel, all cars would be using this technology. JMHO...:D
Excellent point! I was actually more interested in the fuel economy increase but still applicable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts