Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding home yesterday I met a small rock traveling the other way. Our closing rate was about 115mph. The problem was I was on the bike and I stopped the rock with the tip of my nose. No real damage, but dear Lord I didn't know pee gravel could hit like a baseball bat!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
June bugs to the forehead have similar results. ;)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yup, totally sucks. I was driving with my wife in my 150 and I don't know what it was, hit the road and then hit my windshield on our little outer road. Don't know where it came from, don't know where it went. Didn't seem to leave a ding in the window at least. Glad I wasn't riding from the sound of it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Reason #642 for why I like looking at the world through that big old windshield on my D-model!!! :cool:

I've been hit by numerous objects on my other bike...including a Robin that didn't figure things out in time....Been there...Done that!

Rocks DO hurt!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I've been hit by numerous objects on my other bike...including a Robin that didn't figure things out in time....Been there...Done that!

Rocks DO hurt!
Ouch, a bird in the face!? I've come close to a pigeon or two... seems like that would be a major, and painful, distraction. Now that I think of it, I remember one evening, right at dusk, clipping the underside of an owl in my car. It left some pretty good scratches along the top, right behind the windshield. I can't imagine doin' that with my beautiful bald head!

·
Registered
231 Posts
The bird caught me in the shoulder. If it had been a head shot, I would have come off the bike...the shoulder was bad enough!!!:mad:
hurt like %^$#@.

I (now) always wear my modular helmet in the down position on that bike....one of the advantages of being 47 years old...I don't have to worry about being "kewel" anymore.

On my LT, I can wear a turtle shell, but usually just wear the mod helmet visor/chinstrap up. Looks a little goofy I guess....but who cares??? I'm too busy enjoying the ride!!!:D

·
Registered
73 Posts
rock

i know what u mean when i first started riding on the street i caught a rock in the neck. i was in town behind a pavement pounder and he threw rocks all over. not a pleasant feeling!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Large black bumble bee too the forehead doing 55mph I thought some kid threw a rock at me till I wipe my hand across it and felt a pile of bug snot.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Riding home yesterday I met a small rock traveling the other way. Our closing rate was about 115mph. The problem was I was on the bike and I stopped the rock with the tip of my nose. No real damage, but dear Lord I didn't know pee gravel could hit like a baseball bat!
That's why I have the windshield, and wear a full face with shield. Glad you are ok.

·
Registered
48 Posts
On a hot day riding home after work with my riding jacket unzipped about 6", a yellow jacket wasp flew into my coat. I thought it bounced off at 1st until it started stinging me as it traveled from my chest down my left arm! It must have stung me about 10x's while I was beating the crap out of myself trying to kill it & not get into an accident in the rush hour traffic. I must have looked like a jackass, yelling & hitting myself lol!. So I finally pull over get my coat off and the little bugger flies off unharmed, one tuff wasp!
I keep my jacket zipped now, hehe!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Late night riding home to Fl. through Atlanta Ga. with the rode construction as usual. Big 18 wheeler thru up a large peace of rubber, hit me right in the chest, knocked the breath out of me and almost knocked me off the bike.. Almost didn't make it to the side of the road... Ride with a windshield now!!
Dan

·
Registered
445 Posts
I was riding at 70mph with a windshield when a big a$$ grasshopper can from side and hit me in the cheek bone left a silver dollar size bruise and felt like getting hit with a baseball.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Odd as it may seem, I do have a windshield. It is a Memphis Slim 15". It was a 17" but I cut it down because I couldn't see through it when it rains. Also, the edge of the 17" was right in my line of sight. I don't think the taller shield would have caught this little rock anyway. I think it sort of arched in.

Anyway, glad it wasn't worse.

Now for the best/worst flying object stories I know.

1 - One of the guys on this forum posted a couple years ago about a hornet going up his shirt sleeve. While being stung and trying to kill the damn thing, he ended up laying the bike down.

2 - Friend of mine was riding sport bikes on the Blue Ridge Parkway a few years back. He was following a friend on another sport bike when he saw and hawk coming down the side of the mountain on approach to grab a mouse on the side of the road right in the middle of a sharp curve. The biker and the hawk got to the curve at the same time. Somehow the biker contorted off the side of the bike, letting go with one hand to allow the hawk to pass between him and his own windshield. The hawk never missed a beat and grabbed the mouse. Poor mouse.

·
Registered
231 Posts
While being stung and trying to kill the damn thing, he ended up laying the bike down.
Ouch! Talk about insult to injury!!
I'm glad that the pea gravel (I'll bet it didn't FEEL like pea gravel!!) didn't cause you to drop the bike!

I think I read somewhere where people have used Pledge on their windshields to help the water bead up. I've only ridden my D-model in the rain a few times, so I haven't been motivated enough to try it on mine. I'm a little leery of using Rain-X type stuff on a plastic windshield for the obvious reasons! I've gotten so spoiled by having a windshield in front of me that I almost ALWAYS grab my 900 when I want to go for a quick ride!

BUT....I've been hit by bugs and other FOD on that bike too. A windscreen will only cut down, not completely eliminate the stuff that hits you on a motorcycle!

That's part of the (*cough!*) joy of riding I guess....:cool:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Passed a ten wheeler a few weeks back that kicked up a rock. It hit me on the shin. Thought I'd lost my left foot.

Took a wasp strike on the adams apple once. After it hit it rolled down between the collar of my leather jacket and neck. It stung the crap out of me before I could get it out.:eek:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think the worst among the bunch are people who carelessly toss cigarettes out of their car/truck. Imagine that stick of fire hitting your expensive jacket not to mention the danger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
crap in pants

I was riding on highway 70+ mph behind a shuttle bus. the A/C cover flew off the top of the bus up 30 feet. didn't know which way it was going to land and thats when I started to crap my pants. it finally fell about 20ft. in front of me I veered to the left and missed it. there was a car behind me and watching in the side mirrors he creamed it. it was to close for comfort.
ride safe and keep a little space in front of you..

·
Registered
252 Posts
Many years ago, I was coming home from work one night/morning around 1am on my Shadow 500 which had a windshield and was wearing a full-face helmet the bee didn't care and went up under the shield and found his way into the helmet from the bottom. Luckly I was able to get off the side of the road. Helmet came off before I was stopped, so then I had to get off and walk the ditch for 30mins to find it.

More recently, was cruising along on a country road on the 900 at about 70mph, saw a bunch of finches cruising across the road ahead, slowed a little bit to give them time to cross. Luck would have it there was a straggler, he found the bottom of my boot, felt like someone smacked the bottom of my foot with a baseball bat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts