Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So which one is better?Trick question?Any advantages to either one?I am about to install one of these.I am thinking on my Voyager that with The Fosgate ,I can use it for the rear speakers also,as it is 4 channel,but I guess the Alpine is the same.What would you recommend and why for those in the know.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Decided to use the alpine as it was the cheaper option with almost the same specs.I can use the money saved for speaker upgrade later.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Are you using the stock speakers till you upgrade? If so, would be interested in how they work out, sound quality wise.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I'm using the stock speakers with the fosgate amp. The big difference between these and aftermarket is the high end, which is something we don't need. I tried polk, kicker, and JL Audio and they all sounded the same. I wasn't impressed with any of them. No matter what you do the amps still have to be kept low with minimal to no bass at all. Otherwise the sound will break up and distort. The only way I see around this is to either install custom mounted 6",6 1/2", or 5x7" speakers that can handle the power and the bass. This is a no BS opinion based on my experience with installing the amp and speakers. Had I known this I would not have done the install in the beginning. I guess I just had higher expectations of the equipment. To everyone else I know the limits of 5 1/4" speakers.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I already have infinity,s up front which I will be moving eventually to the rear pods when I upgrade to 6.5's upfront.I have to make up spacer ring mounts first to custom fit the bigger speakers up front.I would like to go 6x9 up front if I can figure out a way so it looks decent.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I just finished installing my Alpine amp and what an improvement even over the power pucks I was using.I can see my infinity's working now.I also drilled one ,one inch hole in the speaker front boxes also..
One thing I had to do was run power from the battery direct and I also ran the ground back to the main ground bolt under the seat.The amp kept going into safety cut off with any decent volume or any gain added,when piggy backing off the aux power up front in the fairing.
I am very happy so far and spent an hour in my garage listening to my tunes.LOL.The Alpine does get slightly warm but by no means is it hot.Now to start thinking about upgrading to a 6.5 inch up front.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I tried the polk 521DXi's without an amp and replaced the stock speakers 2 days later, the stocks just sounded better to me then. Have since passed the polks on to a friend who had blown speakers in his Harley, he loves them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
573 Posts
Well I just finished installing my Alpine amp and what an improvement even over the power pucks I was using.I can see my infinity's working now.I also drilled one ,one inch hole in the speaker front boxes also..
One thing I had to do was run power from the battery direct and I also ran the ground back to the main ground bolt under the seat.The amp kept going into safety cut off with any decent volume or any gain added,when piggy backing off the aux power up front in the fairing.
I am very happy so far and spent an hour in my garage listening to my tunes.LOL.The Alpine does get slightly warm but by no means is it hot.Now to start thinking about upgrading to a 6.5 inch up front.
i have my alpine bridged and it rocks for sure

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I picked up some Harley Speaker adapters from a local Motorcycle shop and a pair of infinity 6.5 inch speakers and installed them in,the fairing replacing the 5.25 Infinity's I was using.Sound is about 10 to 20% better and fuller,so not a big improvement,but a little more bass was what I was looking for.I will try to take some pics later and post.

·
Registered
573 Posts
So I picked up some Harley Speaker adapters from a local Motorcycle shop and a pair of infinity 6.5 inch speakers and installed them in,the fairing replacing the 5.25 Infinity's I was using.Sound is about 10 to 20% better and fuller,so not a big improvement,but a little more bass was what I was looking for.I will try to take some pics later and post.
how much were the adapters. pics please

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is some pics from inside my Garage.Not very good but when it quits raining I will take some better ones.It looks factory from the seating area.

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you google adapters you will get a bunch of hits and any where from $20 to $50 for the adapters.The ones I got were made to fit a Harley fairing ,but to be honest guys if your 5.25 speakers mount flush ,so will the adapters ,as mountings are pretty standard on these fairings on Cruisers.the ones I got are like a funnel ,made from plastic and have a raised side so you can rotate the aim of your speakers more to the center if you wish.Here is a link to ones very simuliar to mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPEAKER-ADAPTERS-RINGS-5-25-to-6-5-FOR-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-BATWING-FAIRINGS-96-13-/141254150927?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20e3674b0f

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So went for a ride today with just the front speakers as I take my Trunk off when I ride solo.What an improvement over the stock system.I just listened to the local radio stations to day so really not the best for a test, when you have some signal strength issues, but it was obvious Kawasaki should of done this from the factory.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe,but it would be tight with a speaker added on top, as the fairing does rake inwards quickly.The existing speaker box is beveled to allow clearance ,but it would need to be removed and the mounting grommets reversed also to mount these adapters I used inside.These adapters can be used either way but I see two disadvantages other then the possiable issues I mentioned.One your 6.5 inch speaker playback will be forced through a 5 inch hole if the adapter is used on the inside,plus you loose any advantage of turning the adapter for aiming towards the driver.The adapters look fine as I have them mounted on the outside,almost look factory.I have looked at many Harleys with the speakers mounted the same way but I am working on finding a collar to make it look more finished.The sound improvement more then offsets the non stock look,unless you are in love with the factory grills.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts