Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid freakin' deer!!!

There I think that about says it. One of these dumb stupid freakin pests almost got me today. I was riding home this afternoon and one of these stupid things decides it's going to run out in front of me. And that's another thing! (editors note here I'm about veer to off topic for a few seconds bear with me) Why Why Why do they run toward the road? They're obviously scared of the vehicles which is why they run. But why toward the road? How freakin stupid can you be!!! (OK back on topic.) I see it running toward the road and hit the brakes and horn. The back brake locks up and I start going sideways. The stupid deer hits the shoulder of the road and veers off at the last second just as I let off the brake and get her back under control. We were only about 10 feet apart when it turned off and I rode the rest of the way home much much slower.

OK Rant over.

RG

PS Stupid deer.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Agreed, those are some seriously stupid animals.

That's what i tell folks that want to put those deer whistle things on their car... "Deer aren't hard of hearing, they're STUPID!"

I'm glad to hear you came through it unscathed anyway.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
That's what i tell folks that want to put those deer whistle things on their car... "Deer aren't hard of hearing, they're STUPID!"
Picture it with me: A redneck genius (HA!) is sitting on the couch, watching a deer that has wandered into the yard. He's had a few, and he's thinking, "Where's mah gun?" Then the kiddos enter the scene, blowing whistles they got for a dime a piece at the local food-o-mart, and the deer goes runnin' off into the woods. Man, he really wants to go chase down that deer instead of going in to work today...

On the way to work, he's still pondering the whole scene, and it hits him... that 10 cent whistle scared the deer, and Betty Lou down the street was just sayin' how she wishes there was something she could put on her truck to scare them deer away, because the horn sure don't work!

BING! Redneck genius puts 2 and 2 together, tests out his theory by charging Betty Lou $25.00 to duct tape two 10 cent whistles to her bumper, and markets the idea for millions. Now he can hunt all day without having to work, and when people finally discover that whistles don't scare deer, he's going to start taping kids to car bumpers instead! :D

Glad you escaped it without any scrapes to you or the bike, Ron!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Significantly smaller (and less dangerous) are turkeys! I've been riding less than a year and had to avoid suicidal turkeys a few times. (I know, they're slow, how hard can it be to avoid them) The point is they're just as STUPID; though less dangerous. Glad you managed to get away unscathed.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
An animal is an animal. They are not smart or stupid, it is only us humans that are stupid for thinking they are stupid.... Not pointing fingers at anyone.... Animals are a part of our environment and they have to be dealt with, just like people texting, taking on C phone, putting on makeup, eating or drinking coffee, etc. We accept a level of risk every time we get on two wheels, so vent, maybe say a prayer, (both for the cussing and thanksgiving for being spared) and go on with life. If there were no risk to life, think of how boring it would be.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ron_G, good for you keeping it rubber-side down. I went deer-hunting in December on the way to work and wasn't so lucky. Yay for ATGATT, not even a bruise, I just stood up, and rode off. Left saddle bag took most of the hit. I've driven that road 5 days a week for over 30 years and never saw a deer there before. And just as I was getting some daylight as I ride in, Daylight Savings kicks in so now I'm riding in the dark and have to wait another month or more until it's light at 6 AM - again.

I think they run towards the road because that's the way they're pointing when they "decide" to bolt. If they were pointing a different direction, that's the way they'd go instead.

RandyG, an enduring memory of Skyline drive from some time back was being startled by a turkey flying in front of my windshield, with my wife and three kids in the van, and a camper in tow. Came out of nowhere, it's amazing how big a bird it is when its wing is closer than your bumper. Good thing I wasn't trying to negotiate any curves at the same time. Smaller than a deer, yes - less alarming, no.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Afterthought.

Thanks for the sermon. Just what I need when I've almost been run into by 200 pound animal at 50 mph. I'm aware of the risks thank you.

·
Administrator
12,005 Posts
Agree on turkeys! Had one fly across the road just over windshield height and if I hadn't ducked, he would've hit me in the head. I had to pull over and unpucker on that one! :eek:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Since we're talking about it, one wintry day I paced a huge buck in my car so my kids could see it from the back seat. The buck looked sideways at me and proceeded to take two short leaps before shouldering my drivers side door. He rocked my car pretty good. I'm just glad I wasn't on my bike.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Glad you're Ok Ron G. I took out a Buzzard at 60 mph in the middle of west Texas Desert country... and I agree.. This bird was STUPID. The other 3 buzzards took off when I rounded the corner and hit the horn, and Revved the "no-baffle Drag pipes"... but this one.... he just HAD to have the last bite of roadkill... Needless to say- it was his Last. I swerved to the right, and he went with me. He took out the lower portion of my windshield and dented the front left of my gas tank. I stayed afloat, but pulled over to check the damages. I had guts, blood, and feathers all down the side of the bike, including my chaps and windshield!! I decided to leave them on me and the bike as a reminder to all of the other birds that I may or may not encounter on the rest of that 700 mile road trip back to the house...

·
Registered
67 Posts
an animal is an animal. They are not smart or stupid, it is only us humans that are stupid for thinking they are stupid.... Not pointing fingers at anyone.... Animals are a part of our environment and they have to be dealt with, just like people texting, taking on c phone, putting on makeup, eating or drinking coffee, etc. We accept a level of risk every time we get on two wheels, so vent, maybe say a prayer, (both for the cussing and thanksgiving for being spared) and go on with life. If there were no risk to life, think of how boring it would be.....
amen my friend. Well put

·
Registered
487 Posts
Deer are only semi stupid! If I ever see one running across the road on three legs with a cell phone crammed in it's ear......Then I will consider them totally stupid.:D

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Let me commiserate. I went for a 140 mile round-trip ride with a couple buddies up to a local recreation area in the South Hills called Mount Harrison. The place is a ski resort in the winter, and the roads up and down the mountain are a great ride. They intended to stop and go fishing at Lake Cleveland. Not being a fisherman myself, I headed home after a short rest. Now, for some reason, free range grazing is allowed on Mount Harrison. I had just cut through a tight hairpin and saw a small herd of cows wandering along the road. To my left was a steep drop, and to my right the hillside. Having spent a couple summers helping my old man on the dairy, I was fairly certain any one of these cows could become instantly and profoundly stupid. I slowed WAY down, seriously little more than idling. As I'm approaching the last cow in the herd on my right, i crack the throttle just a hair...and the damn thing decides the safest place is the OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD. Damn thing darts in front of me to get there, and even tho I'm only going 20, I had to grab the brakes hard enough to lock up. I've never cussed a cow so hard in my life.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And as far as animals being stupid the plain fact of the matter is this. Some are smart and some are just dumb. And here's my exhibit A:

For years we had a Pembroke Corgi. Beautiful little dog, loved the kids, wouldn't hurt a fly. But this little dog was just not that smart. We had a fairly large yard at that time and it backed up to a farm so in order to keep our little pooch from running off I built a run for her, (you know aircraft cable strung between the house and the furthest tree with a pulley and a line so she could run all over the back yard but not leave). Anyway, every time she came in the back door she'd turn left and bang her head into the stove. Every time! Now the first couple I understand. New dog, new house, she's just getting the hang of things. but for the 5 years she was with us every time... bang! Now I'm sorry, I loved that little dog but at some point you've just got to say "Nope she's just not that bright."

RG

·
Registered
256 Posts
God made smart animals and God made dumb animals. The smart ones are called predators, the dumb ones are called prey.

An afterthought....

All of God's creatures have their place...... on my plate, under some gravy and beside the taters and veggies.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Right on the Mark, Otter. I'm a member of PETA (people eating tasty animals).

Those deer whistles that some people put on their cars do more to attract deer to the road than they do to scare them away. A friend of mine had some of them on his car. Hit four deer in six months. If the car hadn't been in the shop being repaired some of the time, he would have probably hit more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts