Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hands are still shaking while typing this...
I was on my way back to work from lunch when someone pulled out in front of me. He had a clear line of sight and looked right at me before he pulled out! I had to lock up the rear brake and slide the bike sideways to avoid smashing into the left front fender of his Bravada. Got so close that my right knee slid along the front of his bumper! After I got the bike stopped, I was shaking so bad I had a hard time taking off again. Of course, the guy took off like a bat outta hell in the other direction. That's probably a good thing, because if he would've gotten out of his car, I'd of stomped his ass into the pavement just for being stupid.
I was not wearing any safty gear, but that will never happen again. Full gear for me and my wife on every ride from now on, no matter how short. It's to bad it took a close call like this for me to realize how important saftey gear is.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Glad you had a close one... not a last one!

You know in England they have a knickname for this type of accident. It is called a SMIDSY. It is an acronym for Sorry Mate, I Didn't See Ya! Not that this makes you feel any better.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but I thought the whole thing was FUBAR (I'm sure you know what that stands for) since he looked right at me before pulling out.
I guess now that I've calmed down a little I'm glad I was able to react so quickly. All those years of riding MX and racing BMX had to have helped a little.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
chupa..kabra?,, good that you can still write this... so wat do we learn from this here near death sperience? 'sides wear gear. people cant SEE you even when theys lookin right at ya. They r not looking FOR you and cannot see you. Your are INVISIBLE.. soooo,,, My advice is... dont ride in traffic. take yor lunch w/you to work. Avoid riding at all times there is possibility of a car being on the road.. doesnt sound feasible? I only ride in the early morn or late eve and only on remote roads. away from city traffic. I rather take chances w/Bambi n crew than mrs.minivan n soccer team.

·
Registered
112 Posts
They're not just idiots, they're a**holes. There's a current school of thought, which I'm starting to warm to, that you shouldn't make eye contact with car drivers because they take that to mean that the responsibility is yours. Not saying that you did make eye contact or were in any way at fault -- it's just an indication of how little these people care about bikers. I'm convinced that they calculate the potential harm to themselves, conclude that they're going to come off better, and go for it -- that's the reason for the long delay before pulling out that is so often a part of these incidents.

Glad you're OK. The big advantage we have is that we understand our vehicles, the road and its dangers more than most car drivers ever will. I've always said people should have to learn to ride before they learn to drive. Shame I now live in Queensland where you have to have a car licence for a year before you can even apply for a bike licence. Idiots.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Glad to hear you're still with us Chupa!

"-- that's the reason for the long delay before pulling out that is so often a part of these incidents."

Couldn't agree more! And although it's most dangerous when we're on our bikes, I see the same attitude when I'm in my Kia Soul. "That's so small, he wouldn't dare hit me" and out they come!

I used to flash my high beam any time I was concerned about someone pulling out on me, but it was quickly apparent that they often took that to mean "go ahead, pull out". So now as I approach intersections, on-coming traffic with left hand turn options, etc. I flick my high beam on and leave it on 'til I'm in the clear.

Now I just keep hoping it works.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Glad to hear you're still with us. I've been close, but never that close.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad to hear you're still with us. I've been close, but never that close.
Thanks guys. It was truely a life changing experience. Now it's going to be really hard not to preach to all the riders I see not wearing any gear. Plus I hope that the guy that almost hit me remember this forever. Maybe it'll make a better driver out of him...but I dought it.

Stay safe everyone, and keep your head on a swivel at all times! Danger lurks at every intersection!:skeleton:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just rolled up my right pants leg and my freakin knee is turning purple!!! Musta been closer than I thought! I bet I'll feel that tomorrow!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the experience, but glad you're relatively unharmed!
If you drive an Oldsmobile Bravada, you're an idiot to begin with.
LOL!!! You'll never guess what my wife drives....a 2000 Olds Bravada! LOL!!
I can't stop laughing!
Don't worry, my feelings aint hurt. It's been the biggest POS I've ever bought, and I should be whipped with a rubber hose for buying it, but it's paid for so we'll keep driving it until it's dead.

·
Registered
358 Posts
So...your wife almost ran you over? Did she recently get a life insurance policy on you? LOL!

Please tell me she doesn't use it to drive the kids to soccer practice...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope. No kids and no extra life insurance! Mine is maroon and the one that almost creamed me was white. The Bravada is not allowed to leave town unless I'm using it to take the dogs pheasant hunting. If it broke down out in the country, I'd leave it to rot. Not worth the gas money to go back and get it!

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's just a human defect. We all at one time or another can look both ways and still not see an on comming vehicle. I hate it but that's the way it is. Just drive defensively.....

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Glad you didn't have a serious crash Chupa! I'm not preaching, just saying what I do: I wear ATGATT and installed a headlight modulator. I run high beam all the time, never low beam. Now, I know many will disagree, but in my experience, I have fewer "pucker ups" then I did before the modulator and high beam.
Safe ride,
Dubi Loo

·
Registered
96 Posts
Glad you didn't have a serious crash Chupa! I'm not preaching, just saying what I do: I wear ATGATT and installed a headlight modulator. I run high beam all the time, never low beam. Now, I know many will disagree, but in my experience, I have fewer "pucker ups" then I did before the modulator and high beam.
Safe ride,
Dubi Loo
+1

Added to my modulator is a neon yellow mesh jacket. I have very few pullouts with this setup.

One other issue...I never look at drivers' faces when approaching...I'm too busy watching their front wheels for motion. As far as I'm concerned, no driver ever sees me until I'm clear from his/her intervention potential so there's no reason for me to see if they are looking my way.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Glad you're OK.

I added a headlight modulator to my bike a few months ago. I feel it makes me more visible... a few of my riding buddies poke fun at me for it but I feel it makes a difference.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I don't have a modulator, but I do run on high beam during the day. I notice a big difference in how well people see me in daylight hours with the high beam on. So even if you don't have the money or just don't want a modulator, stick the headlight on high and be safer.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I added a light bar more to help me be seen, not so much for the extra light at night. I figure 3 headlamps gives me 3x the visual stimulus for cagers. I also do a little front end shimmy when approaching intersections where I can see that there is someone that may move into my path. The movement of the lights seems to garner a little more attention.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts