Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was following my wife last night on her bike, which is probably a good thing because she takes corners slower than I do. We were in a round-about going from North to East when my back tire caught a patch of sand. The back end slid out from under me. In one quick instant my right leg shot out and caught the bike and I believe the back wheel grabbed traction again at the same time. In any case I kept her from going down and continued on with nothing more then a pounding heart, or so I thought, my right Knee is killing me today.

So instinct took over and everything worked out okay this time, but I can't help wondering what would have happened if the bike had not righted it's self and I'd have dumped her with my leg sticking out? Would it have snapped my leg at the knee, or just a bad case of the splits?

Is it best to just tuck the legs in and let the bike go down? Dumping a bike is not something we can practice. My skinny 145 pound frame is no match for 650 pounds of falling bike, so I consider myself lucky.

Just looking for comments!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Had a similar experience. Ended up with a sore knee too.

Unless you "practice" falling/wrecking/riding with limited traction, the instinct center of your brain is going to take over and do what it will.

My opinion: It is a moot point to try to plan every fall senario.

Read "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. It pretty much teaches that you have to aggressively scan for road conditions and prevent the "going down" option. The only thing he recommends above all else is getting on the brakes to slow the bike down as much as possible before impact with the ground or an object.

·
Registered
711 Posts
That hasn't happened to me yet but I'm sure one day it will and then I probably let the bike go if I don't believe I have gained control. But then again you have no time to react so you never know what's gonna happen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
someone told me yesterday there are only 2 types of motorcycle wrecks, either you have a $hit your pants experience, or you get messed up hard. No in between. Sorta makes sense. Stay safe guys!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well i have drop mine was turning to sharp was not going fast and to my luck on the classic the foot boards stop the bike from going all the way down what a break no damage at all. but have learn a lesson watch them tight turns. Have put on crash bars after that but think now i would have scratch them all up. And yes my leg did come out its just some thing we do. LOL break a leg save the bike

·
Registered
782 Posts
There are 2 types of bikers, those who have wrecked, and those who are going to wreck. At least that is what I have been told. I fall into first category. Highway bars saved me and the bike. Yeah, I scratched them up on one side, but it was a lot better than the tank and other parts being all mangled. I found a replacement set on sale for $120 and sold the scratched ones for $60 to someone who wanted to powder coat a set black. Not to bad, eh?

As for planning ahead, I think it helps in a lot of situations where you don't actually go down. But once you hit, all the practice in the world isn't going to help but so much. In my wreck, I got distracted by a lawn mower dude throwing grass across my lane. When I looked up, the pickup truck in front of me had stopped. I grabbed everything and skidded into the back of him at about 20mph. For some reason, I can't remember the impact or exactly how I ended up on the ground. So training went out the window at that point. Luckily, I just tore some ligaments in my shoulder and was able to put the bike back together for about $600. Another nice thing about not owning a Harley. Cheaper repair parts. Anyway, yall be safe out there.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are 2 types of bikers, those who have wrecked, and those who are going to wreck. At least that is what I have been told. I fall into first category. Highway bars saved me and the bike. Yeah, I scratched them up on one side, but it was a lot better than the tank and other parts being all mangled. I found a replacement set on sale for $120 and sold the scratched ones for $60 to someone who wanted to powder coat a set black. Not to bad, eh?

As for planning ahead, I think it helps in a lot of situations where you don't actually go down. But once you hit, all the practice in the world isn't going to help but so much. In my wreck, I got distracted by a lawn mower dude throwing grass across my lane. When I looked up, the pickup truck in front of me had stopped. I grabbed everything and skidded into the back of him at about 20mph. For some reason, I can't remember the impact or exactly how I ended up on the ground. So training went out the window at that point. Luckily, I just tore some ligaments in my shoulder and was able to put the bike back together for about $600. Another nice thing about not owning a Harley. Cheaper repair parts. Anyway, yall be safe out there.
I remember your thread about that wreck! I guess your right about going down eventually. Not worth worrying over!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts