Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dark out...about 7:30pm...on my Vulcan 900 classic on Interstate 55 North bound in left lane doing about 70mph...following a car that's two car lengths ahead...there's a car literally next to me to the right of me in the middle lane...i'm watching his tires and assuming that this old nutty is going to go in my lane...sure enough...he swerves over as if i'm not there...I'm pressing horn...several beeps...and he either ignores or doesn't hear me...keeps coming over...UN-BE-LIEVEABLE!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm screaming like a mad man but only i can hear myself in my helmet...CRAP!!!

I grab brakes cause I was pre-paring for as much...grab clutch...slam brakes swerve left...slow down and catch up to him (old guy and old lady)...and they ignore me...either they really didn't hear me or know they even swerved over on me.

not ten minutes later on regular road...a different cager almost pulls out in front of me...i would have t-boned his car at 45mph...had I not flasshed/honked like crazy...he slammed brakes before pulling right in front of me...take a guess if he was on his cellphone or not??? YES, of course!

watch out for those cagers at night!!!!!!!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Am very used to it and have been for long. I do tell you this though. Loud pipes do save lives! Even with louder pipes idiots will still do this but not as much.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Am very used to it and have been for long. I do tell you this though. Loud pipes do save lives! Even with louder pipes idiots will still do this but not as much.
i did think about that...cause I downgraded from Cobra Speedster Shorts...but, this was highway crusing so at that point...it would not have been loud anyways...bottomline, this older couple was not going to see or hear me...like you said, "used to it."

I was so pissed that I drove like an idiot (sped up like crazy / lane weaving) to try to pull up next to these people so I could give them an earful...but, realized that I'm going to have to quit that type of behavior and like you said, "used to it and have been for long..."

Ride Safe, God Bless all!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I saw a very sobering thing on the road yesterday morning. I was on my usual path to work, about 6am so still pretty dark, out on the Interstate. Suddenly I see many brake lights going on and we all slow to a crawl, so I assumed just another traffic bunch-up. No big deal.

I started to wonder what was going on, but there were no emergency lights flashing up ahead or anything... but soon I came up on a scene off to the right shoulder. First I saw a motorcycle parked upright on the shoulder of the pavement, then I saw another cycle down in the middle of the lane and it's rider laying down on the pavement. The parked-motorcycle rider looked to be attending to him. The downed rider was leaning up on his elbow and partially sitting up so I knew he must be at least conscious and communicating. I was in the far innermost left lane and they were two lanes over or I might have stopped too, but by the time I saw all this we were past it and I couldn't get over quick enough safely anyway. A minute later I saw the ambulance coming up from the other direction, lights and siren on full. Help was on it's way.

It sickened me and took all the joy out of riding yesterday. I finished my commute to work, and returned home safely myself, but found myself going very cautiously and mostly staying in the right lanes. I even exited the Interstate a couple of exits early and took back roads the rest of the way home in the afternoon.

At work that day, a co-worker who went by the same scene at about the same time said he saw what happened. The downed biker had been rear-ended by the cage behind him. All I could think was, if I had been just a few minutes earlier yesterday, that well could have been me. Be careful out there my friends. It can come from ANYwhere.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Some days are worse than others. Or at least it seems that way! Friday morning, on my way to work I was stopped at a light. I was the last vehicle in my lane. And I was holding my my brakes on. Next thing I hear is the squeal of brakes. I look in my mirror and a cager is sliding to a stop behind me! Man, he was real close when he finally stopped! I mean a couple of inches! Yup, I gave him an earful!

Same day on my commute home I had a cager change lanes right in front of me. No directionals. I gave him a blast with my stock horn and he cut back over. He wasn't real close but I know he didn't see me. How you miss seeing a bike with 5 lights on the front and a loud exhaust is beyond me. I guess he just couldn't be bothered to look.

So now I am looking at tail light options and louder horns. I've been looking at a Back off modulator that will keep the tail light flashing while stopped first. Anybody use this product?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have had allot of cagers pull out in front of me, change lanes, squealing stops behind me, but so far have been blessed enough and have not been hit. We have head light modulators, bright spot light driving lights, and big boy 150db horns.. Always come to a stop lined up at an angle so we can pull forward and around the car in front.. Usually keep eyes on mirror flashing break lights until we are sure they are stopping behind us.. Also never ride the interstates. If there is not a back road to get there we do not go. The last one to pull out in front of us was pulling a trailer, wouldn't you know it he had motorcycles on the trailer
Stay safe, watch the cagers!! Dan

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've only been riding for a few months now. I rode down with my dad for 2 hours for him to get his first service done on his Fury 1300. I hate Interstates to begin with and didn't want to go on one with a bike. He convinced me to do so since it would cut 15 min off our trip. We're doing around 60mph letting traffic pass us and me to get used to cagers passing me and how to react to it (honestly.. it's not that bad). At one on ramp there was a vehicle coming on.. they didn't slow down or even look. I hit my brakes and they swerved inbetween my dad and I. if I wouldn't have hit my brakes I probably would have been going down.

Another time happened a few weeks ago. I was pulling out of my driveway one morning and I saw a vehicle coming and decided to wait. I live on a main highway with vehicles doing 55+, so I thought it would be better. They passed and I pulled out onto the road. Before I even hit 3rd gear I saw a deer run out and smash right into the side of the car. They did a 180 in the middle of the road and stopped along the burm. I pulled over and ran over to see if they were ok. She was a little shaken up and kept yelling that she just bought the car a week before. I lent her my phone so she could call for someone and waited for them to show up. (no, I didn't get her number). All I could think about is if I wouldn't have waited for her that deer might have ran right into the side of me. It was a good sized deer too. It ran back in the direction of where it came from and fell over and died.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It is a scary world out there, especially on 2 wheels with all these crazy/distracted drivers out there. I find it humbling when im driving my car... I always look twice for motorcycles, but that's because I ride. There have been several times where i only noticed the motorcycle at second glance, and I think "wow, how did I miss that on the first look." When we ride, we are focused, and can see everything around us, especially vehicles. Unfortunately cagers cannot see us as easily, and just don't pay enough attention. We always wonder how they miss us, but i'm sure if you have driven a car, you have experienced a moment where you swore that motorcycle just came out of nowhere. Loud pipes, loud horns, and high beams are all great, but ultimately we need more than that to be seen and avoid accidents. We have to always assume that the car in front/behind/next to us does not see us, and prepare accordingly. I try to play scenarios out in my head, and try to think of a plan if a car takes a certain action. Glad everything worked out, ride safe!

·
Registered
976 Posts
I saw the eyes this morning by the side of the road, looking back at me. They flickered were there again, then they were on the move. I got to the last blind corner and was already covering my brake, sure enough, round the corner and he ran right out in front of me.

You know, if you hit or get real close to a Racoon they'll jump ya and they have lots of nasty teeth. And Rabies which nobody wants.

Thankfully I had the jump on him and didn't get close.

·
Registered
696 Posts
So now I am looking at tail light options and louder horns. I've been looking at a Back off modulator that will keep the tail light flashing while stopped first. Anybody use this product?
I have both the back off and headlight modulators from Signal Dynamics on my 900 LT. They were very easy to install and work well. As far as I can tell, they also will attract the attention of the other drivers. But, you won't get all of the idiots........

I am going to install some bright, red LED bullet lights on the rear to enhance the brake/running light that is there. I'm going to mount them higher up, on each side of the luggage rack. I have a chrome license plate holder with 2 red, 5" LED bars running across the top and bottom that also do brake/running lights. I'm considering putting a 6" red LED bar brake/running light, across the back of the luggage rack, between the 2 LED bullet lights. I think that the tail light is too low and too small for driving in a metro area like I do, with lots of idiots on the freeways and side streets. The LED lights I have ordered also from Signal Dynamics and should work okay with the modulators.

I already have a Cobra light bar on the front, but I'm considering another couple of bright LED lights there too, down low on the engine guard.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yuppers, was in my car today and realized...yeah...it's just too easy to miss whatever is in my blind spot. and I was making a definitive effort to look there! so, from now on when i'm even close to someone's blind spot...i'm zooming up or laying off...will do whatever I can to avoid those spots.

basically what they teach, grind, ground into your head in MSF...be safe, be safe. :)

great thing about this bike is quick acceleration/torque/power...i can zip and zoom between lanes easily/safely. in a car, i can feel the delay when accelerating...on this bike...twist throttle and go.

installed a new horn...much better than the stock pee-wee herman, mebb, meebs. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Close call there.
My two cents, besides driving with your highs on in the day, I have noticed and myself have been guilty of this, that riders tend to try to claim their ground, I watched a video yesterday that showed a rider getting pushed out of his lane, he yelled and honked and only moved sideways, still inches from the car, trying to claim his spot on the road, this is a mistake.

MOVE YOUR BIKE All the honking and yelling should be secondary to a learned reflex to move away from death or injury, even learning to use the throttle instead of the brakes to get out of the way, if the cage wants your spot let it go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bottom line is we all want the cagers to see and hear us, and most of all not hit us, so we can enjoy the ride and get to our destination safely. But no matter how many flashing lights,Loud horns, and wearing day glow colors. There is still going to be those drivers who drive around with their head in the clouds or up their a**. In my state it is illegal to use your cell phone to call or text while you drive. But every day I ride I see so many people breaking this law and swerving and running off the road doing it.. It amazes me with their stupidity. I cant tell you how many times Ive been nearly hit or swerved into by texting or phoning cager. I give them a blast of my Wolo bad boy and it wakes them right out of thier coma.

I have two bikes a both 2008 model Kawasaki's a Versys 650 and a Vulcan 900 classic. This is what Ive added to both to be seen and heard.

Brake lights : Hyperlites

Headlights: Phillips Motovision

Horn: Wolo Bad boy

This is my set up on both motorcycles. The Hyperlites really get peoples attention when I put on the brakes. I really noticed a differences after I installed them on my motorcycles. People now tend to brake sooner and dont get so close to my tail at a lights or stop signs.

The bad boy speaks for itself when I when I blast it always always gets their attention.

The Motovision headlight bulbs are 40% brighter than stock and have a orange yellow hue or color to them from a distance. I also always run with my brights on night or day. I know that bothers some people but oh well, if it keeps me from being hit then more power to me.

My Vulcan has Cobra Speedster swept exhaust on it and they are loud so that helps out when Im riding it.

We all will have our personal preferences for setting up our motorcycles with what we feel makes us each that much safer. And you can never be too safe.

Everyone Ride straight and safe.:)

·
Registered
161 Posts
When i ride my bike all cars are cagers to me, i never ride behind or next any car for more than few seconds , i flash my high beam 2-4 times before i make a pass, to me all motorest are cagers i never rest until i am at least few cars ahead or behind, at night time my high beam is on most of the time i know it's annoying to cars but iam more important , my advice : if you ride your bike like a car, you will get hit like one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree with you Chicago, I don't ride along side cars or trucks any longer than I have to. When I am behind a car, truck or any motorized vehicle I keep a min distance of at least 3 car links but usually more. I ride very defensively, and cautiously, you have to survive on the road these day. I always assume that all cars are not paying attention and don't see me. As I stated above I have a horn and I use it every day that is what its for.

·
Registered
44 Posts
. As I stated above I have a horn and I use it every day that is what its for.[/QUOTE]

We all use our horn, I ride with mine on, I know its annoying but I wear ear plugs.:rolleyes:

Look at it this way, there is a certain amount of time from when you see the impending danger. tic tic..apply horn.tic tic..cage hears horn..tic tic..cage looks around..tic tic...caged driver reacts.. you wait...tic tic and guess what...sometimes they crash into you anyways. Horn button is very useful but not a riding skill, its a cage skill

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have one thing to say.
http://www.billmallin.com/motorcycle/images/maintenance/horn/index.htm
They will never ignore you again!
i'll never understand why these bikes don't come with stock horns that are significantly louder??

I guess:

1. money (cost is a bit higher)
2. laws about sound decibels??

anyways, i installed this horn and it does a great job...had to use it the other day and cager stopped immediately (reversing out of parking lot)...oh, another redonkulously dangerous place to ride your bike....read some good advice somewhere...always ride down the middle of the parking lane (more time to react to someone pulling out).

here are some others that look like good low-cost alternatives for others as well...

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Wolo-Model-315-2T-Universal-Replacement/dp/B000BRFGGA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1287293538&sr=8-3[/ame]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Okbye,
Of course riding skill will always prevail Ive been riding dirt bikes and Road bikes for 40+ years. Even though Ive been riding this long I still took the Team Oregon Riding safety course as a refresh(simular to MSF but better) of course this only gives you the knowledge and the tools rest is up to the rider. I wasnt saying that I totally rely and depend on my horn that would be ignorant nor did I classify it as a skill that to would be ignorant. I only use is as a tool. I use my own defensive riding skill and situational awareness and instinct when I ride. Im not by any means an expert but I am confident I can handle my ride wether Im riding my Vulcan or my Versys. I have dodged cagers on many occasions and or obsticals that have flown out the back of trucks. I see alot of riders doing stupid things on the road all the time that I wouldnt do but thats their choice to take their life into their own hands. Wether its speeding, wearing shorts and tennis shoes and t shirt, or weaving in and out of cars on the freeway at highspeeds, again thats their choice. I just look at people who ride like that as potential organ doners.
I just like to ride, I enjoy the ride and am in no hurry I stay with the posted speed limit and always wear my gear all the time no exceptions.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts