Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Just wanted to thank anyone who has contributed to the forum with advice, ideas, etc.....I took my month old bike out for her first long ride, over 1000 miles, from Tucson to San Diego and back, and because of all that I have read on this forum, it went as smooth as silk (except for the part where we road through Yuma, aka Hell, in 115 degrees, lol).

1) heard ticking noise.....just one of the vulcan "sounds" so I ignored it
2) low gas light went on (with almost full tank) while climbing a mountain in 115 degree heat...."that happens", so I just ignored it
3) got Phatriser II for my handle bars...could hang my arms comfortably while riding
4) got a mustang seat....happy fanny
5) bought sissy bar luggage with a built in backrest....saved $100 over buying a seat with a backrest, could lean back while riding, and I had extra storage for my stuff
6) installed a 12 volt outlet...could listen to my mp3 player the entire trip
7) water-soaked cooling vest....well, Hell is Hell, so I can't say that I was actually comfortable, but I didn't get heat stroke, which I have done in the past

This was a great trip....my 900 classic LT rode at 80mph like it was nothing. Hit really bad winds coming home between Phoenix and Tucson and the bike handled well enough to keep me upright. Riding around San Diego was great and sitting in the stalled traffic on every highway in CA was ok because I was on my bike.

So, thanks. Don't ever think your advice goes un-listened to.

Cat.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Welcome back, Cat. Glad to have you back home safe and sound and that you had a good trip. Post some pics if you get a chance. : )

·
Registered
231 Posts
+1

Always great to hear of a Vulcaneer hitting the open road and having a good trip. Glad you had a safe one! Also waiting for pix! :D
Pretty country out there - even in a cage. I'll bet it was especially nice on a bike!:cool:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Driven across Kansas in the 100+ temps and have had several trips home in just under 110. It isn't fun when even the air blowing by burns your nostrils. It beats getting stuck in a traffic jam under the same circumstances though.

Glad you had a good trip. I'm thinking of running out to Salina for some Cozy Burgers before production really kicks in. A day on the bike would be pretty nice this time of the year. Temps are in the upper 60's starting and get up to the mid 80's tops now.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My group rode the Blue Ridge Parkway and Tail Of The Dragon this year in 100+ temps. Was still fun, but man the seat go up to about 1000 degrees every time I got off the bike for more than 30 seconds. :) I swear I got 3rd degrees burns on the old back deck.:)

Glad to hear you had a good time and made it back safe.

·
Registered
450 Posts
awesome what else you have done to the bike I plan on taking the misses on a nice trip from san diego to vegas to visit the old man.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts