Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beautiful day for a ride.
Go to the bike, start it up, starts fine. Horn and lights work fine. Stereo works fine.
Everything is as it should be.
I do not even make it out of the driveway and EVERYTHING dies. ALL power.
Lights are dead. Horn is dead. Ignition is dead. Gauges are dead. Hell, even that fuel pump whine is missing. Even the stereo is dead. (Aftermarket Quadzilla fairing with 180W stereo built in)

I checked fuses, and all fuses I could check look fine. Battery connections are nice and tight. Battery has juice. I even checked the battery cables, to see if the connections on the bike were good. They are.

I've seen posts about an issue with the ignition switch, but I have not been able to confirm just how much that issue kills things.
A part of me is worried it might be the ECU. I hope to hell not. How would I even check to see if that is the issue, anyways?

Any assistance you can offer me is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You say you checked the fuses, but did you check the 30A main fuse? It's beside the start relay, not in the fuse block.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You say you checked the fuses, but did you check the 30A main fuse? It's beside the start relay, not in the fuse block.
Is what I am looking for looking like this?

If you could snap a pic of exactly what I am looking for... looking online has proven pretty useless for me

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
If the main fuse is blown, do not just replace it.
You must follow the stickies that I mentioned.
And, yes, that is the main fuse.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sfair, Gv, thank you both. Now I have a proper direction to go in to get this sorted out.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay... issue fixed. Worn wire insulation caused a short which fried the mane fuse. Wrapped that wire up good, then replaced the toasted fuse, and she was back up and running. Will have to remember to periodically check that wire.

How difficult is it to pull the ignition switch so I can easily better wrap the wires at my kitchen table than doing so on the bike?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I heard that recall only covered Vaquero and Voyager bikes, even though the Nomads and Classics also have the same issue (as I just did with my Nomad)
Either way, I shall be finding my nearest Kawasaki dealer and explaining things to them. And if that does not work, I think the nearest NHTSA office needs to have a little visit.
Either way, this is a HUGE safety issue.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have a 2014 Nomad. The first time I pulled the tank I checked that wiring due to the recall that was going on for the Voyager and Vaquero at the time. Mine had the "fix" from the factory, so Kaw obviously knows it affects the Nomads too. Just FYI.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts