1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me lay it all out before my question:

1. GenMar risers installed
2. Memphis Sahdes BigShot
3. Nitrogen in tires, which lost pressure, causing uneven tire wear.

My problem. When traveling at speed, my handlebars have a slight right turn. The bike does not pull right or left. I have corrected the pressure in the front to 42 psi, found it at 20 psi. Rear tire pressure is correct, new Metzler. I have checked the risers, even switched them to see if they were the problem. My plan is to get a new front at the next service, about 400 miles away.

What could be or would be causing the handle bar issue?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
976 Posts
Well, I was reading on one of the forums the other day that after a fork service somebody else had a weird alignment in the front forks. They told the guy to loosen everything up, straighten and tighten.

Seems weird that things could get out of line. Blocking the bike level then running strings forward from the rear wheel forward and measureing for any offset might tell you too. There's info on wheel alignment of motorcycles out there that you can get by googling.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will give that a try. I searched around, and only found some wobbling issues. Even though my front tire is cupped from the low pressure wear, it does not wobble. I hope it is only a tire issue. I may have to wait until after the tire change to see if that is the problem or not.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Without some way to lock everything down and level, how else would I go about making sure it goes back right?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Without some way to lock everything down and level, how else would I go about making sure it goes back right?
If the forks are slightly twisted causing the upper and lower triple trees not being aligned then loosening the pinch bolts on the lower triple tree should allow the fork tubes to untwist themselves. With the bolts loose, roll the bike forward and grab the front brake a couple of times or gently bump the front wheel into a curb a couple of times. Word of warning, do not loosen the upper triple tree pinch bolts while the lower ones are loose.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gave the above a try. Will test ride today.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure the above worked. I think I need a hand holding the bike up so that everything is level when it gets tightened back up.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Not sure the above worked. I think I need a hand holding the bike up so that everything is level when it gets tightened back up.
That shouldn't matter but it certainly can't hurt. Good luck. You might also, with the help of a friend or two, place a couple of straight edges about a meter long each across the front of the triple trees then looking down see how they line up with each other. They should be perfectly parallel.
One last thought. if all of the above fails to solve your problem, swap the aftermarket risers left to right and see if the handle bars are any straighter or do they tend to be more to the left this time.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My first thought was the risers, but that did not help. I tried to loosen the forks again and retighten with someone holding the bike level, with no luck. I can only guess know that it is the front tire. It is severly cupped and is the last thing that could be the issue. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New Tire done the trick. The other was so out of whack that it pulled. I did not think that small of a contact patch would pull that much. Happy with the tire and the ride again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts