Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had some quotes for insurance here and beleive it or not, my new 900 is almost as expensive to insure Comprehensive as my Isuzu MUX SUV.

I have also looked at 3rd Party, Fire & Theft - local insurance just doesnt provide enough cover for theft or accident (less than 1/3 of the cost of a 3 year old Vulcan 900). So no go.

So I have started looking at Alarms, and Disk Locks. I am more worried about theft than accidents (only had 2 in some 45 yrs of motorcycling) and apart from a 3rd party causing problems, its up to me to ride defensively.

Can anyone recomment an Alarm Disk Lock that will fit the 2014 Vulcan Custom (all locks I found through Google - mostly Ebay - say not suitable for my Vulcan)

Likewise what about a real Alarm. Something that includes an Immobilizer and flashy lights??

A minor problem is shipping as I am in N. Thailand and many companies dont like shipping here. I do have a shipping address in the USA if no one will ship direct - so this is the least of the issues.

Anyway, look forward to any advice

cheers

Roo

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Keef, thanks for the reccommend. Much appreciated. Sounds like a good lock and screamer. I like the arming button idea too.

cheers

Roo

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Alarm or disc lock ... never heard of anyone damaging their bike by having an alarm ... but I have seen a bike with a caliper that got damaged by non removal of a disc lock ... just a thought. Remember .... if they want it, they will take it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I use a Xena disc lock with alarm. Believe it's a 14mm or something like that. Also have the "reminder" cable attached so I don't become a foolish moron one day :D

unless you get a small disc lock it will not fit on the rear due to the hub design.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I bought a New York Style Kryptonite brand disc lock for my KLR650. I did what it was supposed to, but some dumb reason, I had a hell of a time getting on after a while. Even though the lock had some free play, it would take forever to get the tumbler to to actuate and lock the pin into the body of the lock. I had it for a month before it began doing this and stopped using it. I'd avoid this lock if possible.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice.

Alarm or disc lock ... never heard of anyone damaging their bike by having an alarm ... but I have seen a bike with a caliper that got damaged by non removal of a disc lock ... just a thought. Remember .... if they want it, they will take it.
I have heard of a lot of folks who have problems with alarms going off and upsetting neighbors etc etc also people who lose keys etc... and alarms that lock the machine and wont unlock. Actually the last one happened to my new 4wd which got a flat battery and the central locking and immobilizer locked and refused to unlock even when battery charged again. Thank heavens for a hidden key so I could get into the cabin and open the hood.

So I have been heading in direction of a keyed Immbolizer and a Disk lock.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your reply

I use a Xena disc lock with alarm. Believe it's a 14mm or something like that. Also have the "reminder" cable attached so I don't become a foolish moron one day :D

unless you get a small disc lock it will not fit on the rear due to the hub design.
And strangely as it may seem, I had decided on the Xena 14 before I saw your reply.

I even measured the disk, the wholes, the width and the distance from the top of the disk to the various holes and gaps in the disk. Looks really good to me.

I didnt get a reminder cable as I am already a foolish moron.

Cheers

Roo

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kriptonite

I bought a New York Style Kryptonite brand disc lock for my KLR650. I did what it was supposed to, but some dumb reason, I had a hell of a time getting on after a while. Even though the lock had some free play, it would take forever to get the tumbler to to actuate and lock the pin into the body of the lock. I had it for a month before it began doing this and stopped using it. I'd avoid this lock if possible.
Thanks for the advice. I actually saw the Kriptonite Lock but after checking some of the buyer responses moved on.. so you were not alone in having a problem with this one.

I have bought the Xena 14, and will give some feed back here once I have got it and used it for a couple of months. It does look good and "frizzman" suggested it here too.

cheers and thanks for the advice

Roo

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I notice that everyone has a description of their bike under their signatures and so just so you all know what I have:

2014 Vulcan Custom 900 (actually April), Artctic White / Charcoal Black and Black Rims with red Stripe. Standard throughout plus:
National Cycle Screen (Med)
Quick Lock/Unlock Rear Back Rest

Kawasaki offered me a slime green new one, but I really didnt like it. No doubt all the up and coming hell riders will like the color combo, but for me, the white and charcoal looked great and I was able to get the last one available in this country. Maybe it was the only one??? Who knows.

Cheers

·
Registered
357 Posts
I notice that everyone has a description of their bike under their signatures and so just so you all know what I have:

2014 Vulcan Custom 900 (actually April), Artctic White / Charcoal Black and Black Rims with red Stripe. Standard throughout plus:
National Cycle Screen (Med)
Quick Lock/Unlock Rear Back Rest

Kawasaki offered me a slime green new one, but I really didnt like it. No doubt all the up and coming hell riders will like the color combo, but for me, the white and charcoal looked great and I was able to get the last one available in this country. Maybe it was the only one??? Who knows.

Cheers
Ya I like the look of the new custom white/charcoal, didn't particularly care for the green one.

I wanted the 2012 Classic SE for the Pearl/Charcoal until I found the '11 Custom SE

http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/motorbikes/alarm/XXSeries/XX15StainlessSteelFinsh/page1/

this is the lock I have (15mm, eh I was close :) ). It sets and will go off if I move the bars but usually is not prone to randomly gong off. I've bumped the passenger peg one time and it went off so gotta be the right kind of motion for it to register

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Arctic White or Opal

Actually since the advertising for my bike and the sales dockets are all in Thai, and I dont read Thai, I wasnt sure what the white color really was. Anyway, what ever, its a nice metalic flat white.

By the way, had a look at your Fuely stats. Interesting. During the last couple of hundred kilometers running in, I have been averaging 24kms/litre
which converts to 56mpg. Various speeds up to 140kph and some highway and some town. So I am really impressed with this bike.

Cheers

·
Registered
357 Posts
Actually since the advertising for my bike and the sales dockets are all in Thai, and I dont read Thai, I wasnt sure what the white color really was. Anyway, what ever, its a nice metalic flat white.

By the way, had a look at your Fuely stats. Interesting. During the last couple of hundred kilometers running in, I have been averaging 24kms/litre
which converts to 56mpg. Various speeds up to 140kph and some highway and some town. So I am really impressed with this bike.

Cheers
ya unfortunately I had two fill-ups before winter and it sat. but now mostly ride it for commuting which kills my once ~50 mpg when I first got it. stop-and-go is still 3 times better on the bike than the truck :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Town Riding

Riding around town (stop go etc) really eats fuel.

Here its worse as most Thai's have little 100cc thingies and they zip around all the traffic to try to be the first one off the block at lights and crossing
(zip around mostly on the inside of cars, trucks etc) YIKES!

The end result is everyone goes slower and stops longer at crossings and lights.

So I have two bikes. A 110cc EFI thing (which I hate) but its great for around town. Easy to get through traffic, easy to park and costs me around a $1 a week for petrol and the Vulcan .. and no, I hate riding up the inside of
traffic so usually upset everyone by riding around the outside when its clear.

The nice thing about the Vulcan is its great off the lights. I can get well infront and away from all the crap. If someone wants to over take, no problems. If they want to try to hit me, then I have plenty of power to get away.

Or defensive riding, slow right down and let what ever roar past.

I was in my SUV last weekend amd watched this guy get real upset because I had the power to overtake uphill, and he was in the inside lane going slow. Once he got to the top of the hill, he pressed the pedal to the metal, and roared up my backside... so I slowed down, moved inside, and he roared past. I stayed well back and 5kms later we both arrived at the next lights. He was stopped, and I was able to arrive as the lights changed and he roared off again to stay ahead.

Takes all sorts :eek:)

Cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Never visited LA, but have been up and down the east coast. The biggest scare for me was NY where it was pedal to the metal when the lights changed from red to green, or risk a stack of cars driving up your backside.

Have fun Vulkid

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Frizzman

My Xena 14XX arrived yesterday and fits the front wheel disk no problem. The rear wheel has an inner hub which prevents the Xena fitting properly. So will have to use it on the front.

Took me around 10mns to figure out how to open the Battery part... I must be getting slow in my old age.

I also received the Alarm system I ordered at the same time, and will post some comments about this once its fitted and can test.

Cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts