Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I saw the answer to my question but I can't seem to find the thread. Is anyone out there using the slime (tire top off) mini compressor to air up there shocks. I understand that we are not supposed to use a typical air compressor but I think I read that someone used one with success. I bought what I thought was a nice bicycle pump with the pressure guage built in from Wal-Mart but the pump leaks around the base and won't hold pressure.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
You buy a motorcycle that cost almost $20,000 by the time you accessorize it, why not spend $30 on the correct zero loss pump for the shocks?

·
Registered
207 Posts
OK forgive me here but can someone explain why we cant use a compressor. Is it just too much pressure? Glad I haven't tried it yet, lol.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
its about the volume not the pressure. These shocks have a very small capacity so it is easy to over pressure them when using an air tank. I bought the progressive no air loss pump on line pretty cheap.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
OK forgive me here but can someone explain why we cant use a compressor. Is it just too much pressure? Glad I haven't tried it yet, lol.
If you can accurately set your compressor to not go over a certain PSI then you reduce the risk of popping a seal. Even so, as soon as you pull the compressor off the valve stem you have lost some air. Is $30 too much to spend for piece of mind? Plus you can carry it with you and change the pressure for varying loads and road conditions.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Do they come with any pressure from the factory? Also, what kind of pressures are people running for 1 or 2 up riding?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Do they come with any pressure from the factory? Also, what kind of pressures are people running for 1 or 2 up riding?
The shocks can be run 0 - 43 PSI. All depends on the load the bike is carrying. I have mine at 20 PSI and the dampening at 2. That's riding alone. Add the wife and luggage and I kick up the pressure to about 35 PSI and the dampeing to 3 or 4.

BTW....mine came with 0 PSI in the shocks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can anybody tell me about this correct zero loss pump for the shocks that cost $30 and were I can order one. I have never heard of it and would be interested in something like that.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My shock pressure from the dealer was also set at 0 and the damper was set at 2. I have been playing with the damper between 3 and 4. I found a nice hand pump at Wal-Mart for less than $20 (Bell Airstrike 1000 w/guage) that seems to work fine. I used it yesterday to pump up the shocks to about 25psi. The pump worked flawlessly and I didn't lose any pressure when I removed the valve from the shock nipple. The pump is small enough to store in my trunk or saddle bags. I think my next project will be adding a progressive balance kit with a guage to my scoot. I think airing up from one location and being able to constantly see/monitor the air pressure in the shocks will be a good thing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
When you used the hand pump, did you raise the rear of the bike off the ground? The reason I ask is, I tried using a bicycle hand pump and I couldn't push the air plunger all the way down so I was thinking that it's because the rear has weight on it if not raised or maybe I need to put more azz behind the push. It was hard holding the pump and pushing the hand lever. Guess I will attempt it again.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, I didn't lift the wheel off of the ground. I left the bike on the kickstand and the pump worked flawlessly. The plunger was easy to push down. I will check the pressure again before I ride to make sure it's still equal pressure in each side.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a $30 pump in the mail from Amazon. I'll start trying some different settings when it gets here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts