Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many of you, I love my Vulcan 900, but find the stock seat difficult on a long ride. I have been riding it for about 1 year and 8500 miles, my first bike after a 43 year hiatus. Last year I went on a 3 day, 650 mile ride. By the middle of the second day my butt was burning, and I didn't recover for a week.

I took my longest ride ever from June 26 - June 29 of this year, leaving Friday morning from south of Port Huron and going "around the mitten" of Michigan's lower peninsula, 1122 miles. 3 days before we departed I got my Father's day gift, $100 credit at a local motorcycle shop. I gave them a call and asked if they could get me an Airhawk-2 seat by Thursday.

He called me a few minutes later, saying he had one ordered, it would be here on time, and he would meet the Amazon prices I had given him (doesn't hurt to ask). Cool.

I picked up the seat Thursday afternoon. Installed and roughly adjusted it, then went in to finish packing for our early departure. I adjusted it 3 times in the first 30 miles the next morning, going from too much air and a disconnected from the bike feel, to much less air and a comfortable ride.

In the middle of the second day (around 400 miles from the start) I began to feel the familiar buttock burn. At the first stop I discovered that my hip bones were still resting on the stock seat. I added a tiny puff of air and immediately felt better.

The rest of the ride was spectacular. Great weather, great roads, great friends, and NO BUTT PAIN. The morning after arriving home I got out of bed, and was surprised to notice I could hardly tell I had done over 1100 miles in 4 days. What a treat.

So, the Airhawk 2 is build to the same design as the original Airhawk, but with cheaper materials. Great for a relatively inexpensive experiment at relieving the butt burn. In my case, it passed with flying colors. For local rides I will leave it on a hook in the garage. For longer rides I will spend 2 minutes and install it. When it wears out I will replace it with the standard model. For me, it was money very well spent.

As always, YMMV.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Awesome!

I used the Airhawk on the stock seat too and boy does it work when you get it dialed in! I use a Mustang seat now, but the Airhawk sure is a nice go-between.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Wife and I just picked up 2 of the Air Hawk 2s and the difference is trully amazing

HalfBreed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts