Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks

I was getting tired of cleaning the stray oil off the motor coming out of the air box. :frown2:

Below are a couple of picture of what I did.

I used the standard hose going from the oil breather switch ( the thingamagig ) the the fitting on the air box. I just twisted it up and put a clamp on it. The other end a reducer to 5/16 hose which I ran towards the stearing head, looped around the top near the radiator cap, then back down the bike. I ran it behind the side cover, though the frame then out to the end of the swig arm. 1/2 a dozen cable ties, and it is a neat as a pin. Easy! Done in 30 mins. :grin2: And yes my oil level is good :wink2:

A little lees cleaning to do on my big Lady from now on 0:)

Enjoy Your Ride ( I do )
Terry

Attachments

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
k'man,, you did good. almost. that's a lot of plumbing jus to get that schitt to the ground.. where it belongs.. butt I gotta tell you that yor blowing it rite on your Disk brake. Not Good..
ok, I will post pix of how I did same 7 yrs ago.. not much diff. jus less plumbing, etc. I just routed it down and out behind the motor where mos all otter hoses piss at the ground. worx great. poncho

ps. get rid of those two gas line vent tubes and route them discreetly under the seat and down to the ground. you'll note the lack of excess plg top of my motor. keep it klean.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Strange, never had any appreciable amount of oil in the air box. Matter of fact I just replaced that with an Arlen Ness Big Sucker setup, and there is about as close to no oil as you can get in there. Nary a hint of anything but a nearly unnoticeable sheen just around where the port enters at the bottom.

Otoh, with just short of only 20k miles, maybe there isn't enough blow by or carry over to bring in much for crankcase vapors.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Gents

Mmm, Ponch, I will look at how it goes where it is, now that I have put the outlet where it is. ( It is well off the disc and drops down about 7/8th way down the rotor in height ) And to Jim and Whoa, I'm just not sure why I'm getting the oil either???

When I change the oil, only 5 ltrs, no more. I let her sit for at least 15 mins to drain both plugs. Have checked oil level as per manual. I have noticed where the 2 breather hoses meet, at the switch ( thingamajig ) air switching value, it is not much above head height. Maybe that valve is faulty???

I'm going to have another look at her now, but ideas or knowledge, appreciated.

Thanks Lads
Terry

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Kawasaki should put an actual full mark on the dip stick. The"range" is misleading. For most of us that have done our own service for years that means fill it to the top and add more close to the bottom. Not so on a Kawasaki. If you fill it over half the "range" you will be cleaning what looks like oil snot out of your intake.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Kawasaki should put an actual full mark on the dip stick. The"range" is misleading. For most of us that have done our own service for years that means fill it to the top and add more close to the bottom. Not so on a Kawasaki. If you fill it over half the "range" you will be cleaning what looks like oil snot out of your intake.
That's exactly right. You cannot go past halfway up dipstick, that is halfway between upper and lower level on dipstick when warm or hot, with bike level and having been idling for so many minutes, turn motor off wait a couple on minutes, check oil, has to be halfway between LOW and FULL marks.
You have to drain all 3, THREE drain plugs, or you will be overfilling it with 5 Lts of oil.
With mine 5 lts fills it exactly to halfway up dipstick, but I am draining all 3 plugs.

Reactions: VN2053rider

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,919 Posts
Same here. No oil is stock or aftermarket intake. Except when I added too much oil and excess got into the intake.
Yeppers.. if there is oil in your intake, 99% of the time, it's cause your over full.

Don't be embarrassed by it. Almost all of us has done the SAME thing.. sometimes more than once.

You mean all three plugs, right?
+1. There are three plugs to drain.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Gents

Mmm, Ponch, I will look at how it goes where it is, now that I have put the outlet where it is. ( It is well off the disc and drops down about 7/8th way down the rotor in height ) And to Jim and Whoa, I'm just not sure why I'm getting the oil either???

When I change the oil, only 5 ltrs, no more. I let her sit for at least 15 mins to drain both plugs. I have noticed where the 2 breather hoses meet, at the switch ( thingamajig ) air switching value, it is not much above head height. Maybe that valve is faulty???

I'm going to have another look at her now, but ideas or knowledge, appreciated.

Thanks Lads
Terry

OOPS!

"3" PLUGS???
The manual shows 2. Oops again. Read on,,, dum chit blowdy osi. tinc eye wood no beta. Mmm, obviously not. Even a. bloody 2 headed Tasmanian is smarter than me. What a disgrace. I will whip myself with 10 lashes tonight and wear a hessian sack on a bad of nails. Well,,, maybe not, but dam I'm dumb sometimes. Sorry lads. I will do better.

But on the bright side! I will change the oil again this week, and for once it will be full with the correct amount of oil.
Thanks to my friends here.

Again, Thanks Lads

Enjoy Your Ride ( I do )
Terry

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
wen I change the erl on any my sleds.. after initial drain. I put the plugs in by hand just one turn. I pull the spark plug wires and hit the starter button. it will cycle the pump. it wont hurt the motor has plenty residual oil film everyware and yor not running it..
then I take the plugs out and watch another 1/2 qt come out the motor. I do this several times. you would be surprised how much residual (dirty) oil is still left inside. a bunch, get er out! yeah take that ol filter off and dump its oil in the pan.

I make a point to measure exactly how much I get out.. not surprising it is exactly the same 5qts I put in each time..

so I put exactly 5 new qts oil. I mite check it on occasion, but almost never have added even an ounce of oil. why? its got more oil in ther than most 4-6-8 cyl cars of larger displacement. and if yor not blowing, burning or leaking the stuff.. to hell with that dipstick says, it lies, you got plenty erl in the mill.
motto; 5 qt in, 5k smiles, 5 qt out. rinse, repeat. poncho

Reactions: Silencer69

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
man and I thot us 'merican heathens butcher the queens langwich.. we don't hold a candle to our cuzzins down unner. poncho

Reactions: Co0terV2K
1 - 14 of 14 Posts